Asia servers just not being used !

for the last couple of months it seems less and less no one is on the SG/JP servers anymore and Im regularly on a server by my self waiting for someone to join.

This together with the varying ping (low during the day but nearly double at night) makes me start to think that perhaps trying an Australian server might be a good idea.

I know this has been discussed before eg. 'find us a good deal and set it up' but it seems this is not practical as ppl will only pay (maybe) for a server that is existing but not to one that may come.

Im just putting it out there as legions is dead outside of America and Europe and just seems like such a shame for such great game to not be played.

Maybe putting up an Aust server with a stable ping would bring more players back to the game than the Asia ones AND attract players that are willing to make donations to keep it up?

I have donated a couple of times for the SG server but given the erratic ping and lack of players I havent been able to justify any more money, a Aust server however would be a different story, if players return Id be willing to contribute regularly.

thoughts?

well I was hoping it might happen in the same manner as the SG/JP servers did!

Is there a cost obstacle with a server in Aust that doesnt exist for the current Asia ones?

Or is it that there is a larger player base in Asia which justifies it more?

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Australian server costs are a lot more than the JP/SG servers (that's been witnessed so far). If you find a server provider that's affordable, forward the information to BugsPray.

Fixious

Test Lead
This seems to be a problem due to the lack of players, not servers.

shrug.gif

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
In this case, there will probably always be a lack of Australian players if there's not a quality Australian server. I like to think if we could find an affordable Australian server, perhaps we could run it for a trial period then try to increase the Aussie playerbase that way. With that said, once user hosting becomes possible, this all may become a moot point and quality, user-based Aussie servers will start to popup (hopefully generating enough interest to have players invest in a solid dedicated Aussie server.)

Karnage

Private Tester
Speaking as someone who is actually IN Asia. The Asia contingent is alive and kicking thank you very much. The problem is that the servers are really bad. People will ping 50 one day and 4oo the next. It is a problem we have just learned to live with and when we want things to be even i.e. similar ping for everyone, we go to the West Coast server because most of us ping better there than on at least one of the Asia servers. For instance, I ping 50 in Japan, 230 in SG and 150 on the WCoast. The Asia servers are just very unreliable and that is why you don't see many people on them. Also we play at different times which is why you don't see us. Just yesterday we had quite a few pubs going.

BestCharmie

Yes, I do agree with Karn, they are unreliable and stable.

Eg. My regular ping is 250 in SG. And about in random moments, it goes down to 110 (YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!), then after 3 seconds, 350..(BOOOO!) then back to 250. :/

Usually SG servers are used, I have greater ping in JP (180) which is not being used :(

Royalty

The Aussie
Your asleep most of the time when we have great pubs/pugs.
Not my fault my parents won't let me stay up till 12. If I could I would. What I would really like to see is all the Asian servers being more active, not just being used late, but earlier in the day as well.
Yes, I do agree with Karn, they are unreliable and stable.
I think you mean unstable. ;)
Either way I WANT AUSSIE SERVERS!

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Your asleep most of the time when we have great pubs/pugs.

I do have to say, from what I hear, Asian pickups are pretty late. I've played some games (although awhile back now) at 2 PM UK Time, so add 10 hours for Asians - that's midnight. Not sure what the feel is over there, but that seems waaaay too late, especially if you want to attract newer (and this probably means younger) pickup players who cannot stay up that late.

MJ1284

This seems to be a problem due to the lack of players, not servers.

shrug.gif
I still don't get it why there is 30 servers in list while we could easily manage with 5-7, running 20+ empty servers 24/7 seems like waste of money to me. Then again I'm not an expert on this subject.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
[...] Then again I'm not an expert on this subject.
Obviously. Those different servers all run on the same machine. Basically every server in the same location runs on one system, which is paid for. Running 1 per location or 4 doesn't make any difference when it comes to price.

funny that you say they are being used Karns as the last roughly dozen times Ive popped in to see if anyone was on there wasnt a single person playing on SG or JP. Usually if I enter and ski around for 10 minutes another 1 or 2 players jump on but almost never enuf for anything other than DM.

god dam over priced aussie internet!

Looks like any decent legions is pretty much over for me until player hosting happens :(

St3lth

Backend Contributor
Not my fault my parents won't let me stay up till 12.
I'm not saying its your fault. ;)
I do have to say, from what I hear, Asian pickups are pretty late. I've played some games (although awhile back now) at 2 PM UK Time, so add 10 hours for Asians - that's midnight. Not sure what the feel is over there, but that seems waaaay too late, especially if you want to attract newer (and this probably means younger) pickup players who cannot stay up that late.

That is a problem, we have tried to organize PUG's earlier but it never seems to work. :(

GReaper

Grumpy
Is there a cost obstacle with a server in Aust that doesnt exist for the current Asia ones?

Cost for the SG/JP servers is around 35 USD/month each, that covers all game servers which are located on it.

Find a provider which is cheap enough so that the players can support it.