Arena maps

Aki

Since arena is hands-down the most wanted new game mode according to the polls, I thought we should come together as a community and brainstorm some ideas for maps that would make arena play awesome.

I don't know if arena will be strictly DM type play, but to clarify rule sets I felt it was sensible to simply add A- to the front of game acronyms, e.g. A-CTF or A-TDM or A-DM.

I thought of an arena which makes heavy use of Z-mobility. The map would have a relatively small area on the XY plane, but it would be really tall. Perhaps moonshine turned on its side. There would be transparent platforms all up and down the map large enough to accommodate a couple simultaneous duels with some small enough to make good death traps to those players who mismanage their energy. Vertical spacing should accommodate heavies. A half pipe at the bottom and possibly jump pads would aid jets for getting around what would be a very energy intensive map. This map would lend itself to ADM and ATDM play. It would also work for assault-defend type play, were that to ever be implemented.

What are YOUR ideas?

Siantlark

Not very helpful for picking up speed Fix...

I for one would probably die in the splash damage that would reign in that area.

Lcam

This is the map :p
bol.jpg

Fixious

Test Lead
Not very helpful for picking up speed Fix...

I for one would probably die in the splash damage that would reign in that area.

Why exactly would you need speed in Arena? You aren't going after a capper, nor are you trying to capture a flag. Your goal is to kill.

Lin

I'm thinking that with arena, we can kinda break out of using the ground as our only skiing medium. I mean, with such a z-axis intensive game, one would think that the maps would be a bit more...z-axis-y. Having floating platforms with hills/bowls stuck on upside down or sideways would be something really interesting to consider with the rapid direction changing/dodging arena will need.

Reactions: Aki

Aki

I'm thinking that with arena, we can kinda break out of using the ground as our only skiing medium. I mean, with such a z-axis intensive game, one would think that the maps would be a bit more...z-axis-y. Having floating platforms with hills/bowls stuck on upside down or sideways would be something really interesting to consider with the rapid direction changing/dodging arena will need.

This