Are we going to be able to use head sets in game?

xzzxxz

Im just asking but in the future will gamers be able to chat in the game with head sets? Just asking i think it would be a good idea.

Freeman

RAYTANG
Nice, but unnecessary. TeamSpeak server covers it, and besides, we have quick chat.

Not everyone goes on teamspeak. And not everyone has teamspeak.

A in game voice client would be nice, possibly annoying at some times, but nice.

Freeman

RAYTANG
Yes but honestly, the only people you want to listen to are the people who can be asked to install it.

Would be nice as I said ^ though.

That's not the point. The point is so you can easily communicate with other players who may or may not be willing to download teamspeak. Just because someone doesn't want to download teamspeak doesn't mean that "you" won't listen to them.

Do you know how much easier it is to call out where you are when you're trying to accept a flag pass? It would be good to have something like this. It would definitely help new players learn the game better.

RockeyRex

Legions Developer
So as long as I can unmute certain peole from the default of mute everyone, sure.
I seriously is pure *dancing* pain going playing on whatever game that has voip. Some people are reasonable and I don't really mind using voip when it's in good manner but 90% of the time its being used by crying kids, people with broken mics and people who wish to just be annoying.

No thanks.

Siantlark

Look at Halo. Now look at Legions. Now imagine Halo kids on Legions.

If they add this this needs to be packaged with a mute system. Really.

Astrum

Super Special R&D
Yes, clearly such amazing technology such as muting specific players, admins globally muting specific players, and disabling VoIP chat in game entirely is years away from being usable. The research is there but no clear method of doing it. Clearly the world is not ready for VoIP in games.

Oh no wait, these are standard features in almost all games with VoIP and has been for almost a decade. Please explain to me your logic whereby including VoIP in a game suddenly means you will have to hear every annoying, prepubescent boy in the world at max volume whenever you enter a game. Or is Legions the only game you have ever played and you didn't even realize my first paragraph was steeped in sarcasm? Also explain how TS3 is somehow okay, yet in-game VoIP is not, as if TS3 has some magical protective aura around it that prevents annoying people from joining.

Now granted Legions has a lot of younger players compared to something like Red Orchestra, but VoIP chat is still useful in these types of games. Which is probably why its used in pugs and competition. Go figure. Then again I guess the prevailing opinion around here is that pubs are useless and will never be good, so why bother.

Daphinicus

Private Tester
[aside]

Red Orchestra beat my old mod team out for winner of that year's Make Something Unreal competition.

It is evil incarnate.

[/aside]

Daphinicus

Private Tester
In all seriousness, Mabe did some poking around with codecs and judging bandwidth overhead and such. I'm not sure what the results were -- and there's a good chance it won't work out -- but don't say we never listened and didn't try it out to see whether it'd work!

57thEnryu

I think VoIP is great. I mean being able to yell "contact" when being shot at and"ima die ima die Ima die IMA DIE *dies*" is awesome.

But practically speaking, it is just for those who really use it. So, to be honest, if you really want VoIP, use TS3, because integrating one in game will be a waste of time.

Astrum

Super Special R&D
While true, I don't see why they should use dev time to make something that 90% of people will just mute.

I never stated it should be a high priority feature. Back in the old IA days I definitely think it would have been a useful feature and a professional studio would have the resources to do it (lol). I realize that this is a community developed project that's done in the free time of the developers and that there are more important things to do. I still think it's a good idea, though not necessarily worth doing given the project. I'm merely pointing out the absolute ludicrous logic of some of these posts.

As far as your 90% number, that's a little strange. Source based games tend to use VoIP the most. CS:S, DoD:S, TF2, etc... have very large players bases where mics are used a lot. Some of the more tactical games such as Red Orchestra also tend to use it heavily. Yet you switch to something like Bad Company 2 or Call of Duty and almost no one uses voice chat. Why is that? It's actually quite baffling to me that a better, quicker means of communication that's implemented already is passed up for the more traditional typing (or nothing at all generally). Perhaps it's just the individualistic nature of the game where team work is almost non-existent; kind like Legions pubs apparently.

Of course quick binds in Legions are accepted because they're quicker than typing messages out, yet they're designed to be general enough so the menu system isn't too complex. People use quick binds in Legions quite frequently, some annoyingly spam it, others use it to its maximum efficiency (which isn't very). So why is VoIP such a stretch? Hell, if quick binds are okay, and TS3 is okay, then why is VoIP in game off limits? That makes no sense what so ever.

I think VoIP is great. I mean being able to yell "contact" when being shot at and"ima die ima die Ima die IMA DIE *dies*" is awesome.

It's strange that everyone here immediately thinks of the worst possible thing that VoIP can be used for (yet at the same time be okay with TS3 and quick binds). Let me put these fears in context because quite honestly you're all knee-jerk reactionaries. In Legions everyone is equipped with a weapon and team damage is on. Clearly this is bad design because weapons will be used for no other purpose than team killing. So weapons should be taken out.

Do you see the faulty logic in this? Yeah there are teamkillers in Legions, as there are in every game with team damage, but they're vanishingly rare compared to how many players are even tempered and team players. So yes, you will get spammers on VoIP, but the number will be considerably lower than everyone which is what is largely implied in this thread. Most people will use it as a more accurate way to communicate with team mates (of those who use it). Of course there can be problems with people who have terrible mics or being too loud, but as I sarcastically said in my first post muting and/or disabling VoIP is not some space age tech. It's pretty much guaranteed to be in there by default. So really all of this talk on those specific features is a complete red herring and does nothing to discuss the actual usefulness of such a feature.

Mabeline

God-Tier
I think VoIP is cool and if I have any spare time I will try to get a toy implementation working (I've done it in Torque before, but I lost that code many moons ago...).

Seriously, communication is a good thing. And don't flood me with a stream of "we need to be able to do x, y, and z AND MAKE SURE WE CAN MUTE" - I already know.