Alternative CTF

Propkid

A game mode idea: CTF without flags returning themselves after being 'unheld' for 30 seconds or just by being touched by a teammate. In order to return a flag one must grab it and carry it back to base. One cannot hold both the enemy and his own flag at the same time. If a player holding his team's flag arrives within the bounds of his base the flag is returned.

Just an idea I came up with. IMO it will promote more gameplay/combat outside of the bases and more cooperation/ alternative team roles. It might seem as if the idea simply makes life harder for defence, but there's more to it.

I'm bad with names, but I'd call it either Oldschool CTF or Power-off CTF (no flag teleporting- no power? :/)

Gheist

King of all Goblins
Propkid, think, please. Yes, it would be a "game-breaking problem", just think it through.

Propkid

Propkid, think, please. Yes, it would be a "game-breaking problem", just think it through.
Rabbiting with the enemy flag seems to be more of a problem than with your own flag. First of all to start rabbiting with your own flag you have to grab it outside of your base on 'advantageous' terrain (rabbits usually start from high places to gain speed). So first of all either the flag has to be already down (meaning the enemy LO+cappers are heading for it) or the about-to-rabbit has to frag the enemy capper and then pick it up.
If the wannabe-rabbit finally grabs the flag and achieves a sufficient speed to start rabbiting and he has enough HP to keep on going (unlikely) then the rabbit will have both of the teams on his tail, since his team wants to cap already.
Also, this rabbit wouldn't be able to rest in his own base:

If a player holding his team's flag arrives within the bounds of his base the flag is returned.

What I'm saying is that compared to the current rabbit problem this would be a small issue and quite unlikely to happen IMO. Think about how would the team structures change; defence would be much less stationary, LO much less 'repetetive' (fly to enemy base, cause fuss, respawn, repeat) and rabbiting all around the map with your own flag would prove to be an ineffective strategy much more quickly than rabbiting with the enemy flag did.

D

Doom Of Neroflame

what if a llama graber dies just outside perimeter then the person chasing that lama would have high health and be able to rabbit easily would he not?

Propkid

what if a llama graber dies just outside perimeter then the person chasing that lama would have high health and be able to rabbit easily would he not?
Still less likely than rabbiting with the enemy flag IMO.

I admit, I was thinking of organized matches/PuGs when thinking about this mode, but this kind of rabbiting would be much less of an issue than the current rabbiting is.

RockeyRex

Legions Developer
Organized IS the issue.
I grab out own flag from the field, drag it to a spot that has "perfect defence". Example the coreners of the map. Now eventually both teams will do this. Prep for the most annoying game in history.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
You know how stressful long standoffs can get in normal CTF? How about a standoff with your own *dancing* team. This could happen on PUB games where some guy takes the flag, gets into a defensive position (Like rockeyrex said) and then the capper is waiting for a return that isn't coming because some other idiot has the flag in the corner of the map. Also, traditional standoffs would take much longer because not only does the retrieval team need to get into the base, fight through all the defense and kill the carrier, but they also need to fight back out and carry the flag back to base and do it faster than the other team. You, propkid, as a proponent of your own idea, would say "That enhances teamwork" but on PUBs there won't be the teamwork necessary, and everybody will hate it.

RainPilot

stinky bear
It sounds good but just imagine half of your team on a hill defending the flag and half of them capping.

Instead of repeating why this won't work, I'll just state this: this idea is as ancient as CTF itself and it's been modded in many online games without succes. I remember playing this in UT and it was a painfully slow and broken experience. Avoid.