A Performance computer for under $500?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
You're probably looking at an i3, a decent 1600mhz 4gb kit, and maybe an older intel motherboard 1155 chipset to save money instead of going for the z68 chipset. Hard drive will set you back alot, but a 500 gb should be fine. As for graphics card, I'd recommend going for an AMD solution as they will be the best for budget cards.

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
building a desktop (not a laptop) is pretty much the only way. you won't get a laptop that is worth the upgrade for that price.

probably:

($120) amd FX 4100 (i3s are a bit more expensive)
($125) Radeon 6770
($95) 500GB hard drive
($45) 500w/600w PSU (preferably spend $50 or more on this)
($18) 4GB 1333mhz RAM
($110) a Gigabyte AM3+ motherboard.
($60) Case

total: ~$570

EDIT: i forgot the operating system. you can either see if anyone has a spare copy of windows, but bear in mind that you'd probably want to upgrade to a 64 bit version of windows 7 as soon as possible, in which case you probably want a person who is still in full time education in your house, so you can get a (considerable) student discount.

as you can see, it's a bit over your budget. although you can probably cut down the price by $50 or so if you went for an AMD phenom X4 and a AM3 motherboard.

this spec would run most games out now on medium, maybe high settings if you push it a little, and would last a good 3 years playing games at that level, building a computer is something that i would reccomend doing if you want to know more about computers, and is not as difficult as you may think, especially if you have someone you know who has done it before.

on problem is that you won't have a complete machine warranty, and will have to find out what is causing the problem yourself if it breaks, and send off the faulty part back to be replaced accordingly.

you *may* be able to order it off somewhere like cyberpower, but apparently the build quality is so-so and you'll be paying for them to build it too....

another option is going for an i5 2500k and not buying a graphics card (use the integrated), then buying that later when you have more money to spend. it'll play legions and probably a few games like TF2 fine, (you might even be able to squeeze skyrim out of it) but bear in mind that some games do not support integrated (EDIT: legions is one of them ~*Fireblasto*), and it should really only be used as a stand in while you save for a better graphics card.

Arch

Legions Developer
Macbook or iMac.
You don't buy a Mac for gaming. In no way is that a good decision.
You could get an Desktop PC, for the same price as a decent Mac, that has 5x the power and ram and what-not than the Mac. The one you linked has 512 mb of ram. Flash games will lag on that.

Mahidhar

Yeah, I agree with most here. You gotta dump a bit more money than that, to make your buy worth while. Best thing you could do is save up on that money, and wait until you can get atleast a couple of hundred bucks more. Best advice I could give you.

anak

VIP
note - you aren't going to spend less then $500 on a gaming rig if you don't build it yourself. the PC monopolies won't let you.

DKnight556

I just finished my build and it runs great. Put about 750 into it without peripherals ( I'm assuming you have some already ). If you could save up a little more you could build a really good computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.