250+ Cap Routes

Disci

Old man

He was already running 250+ stygian routes. I'm pretty sure there will be one coming. I'd love to see Mirage 250+ vid more than anything else. Gj phan. Very nice vids.

phanakapan

Private Tester
I have one 250+ route for stygian at the moment. I have a 251 grab frapsed, but I murder the return and barely cap. I will make sure to get a better one though. I have 2 routes on mirage that can be done close to 250, but I havent had much opportunity to refine them or fraps them as there is basically never an empty mirage server up. If we could host our own the whole process would go so much faster. Most of these routes were done on the asian servers with 250 ping because they seem to be the only empty ones up on maps I want most of the time.

DeadGuy

Legions Developer
I have one 250+ route for stygian at the moment. I have a 251 grab frapsed, but I murder the return and barely cap. I will make sure to get a better one though. I have 2 routes on mirage that can be done close to 250, but I havent had much opportunity to refine them or fraps them as there is basically never an empty mirage server up. If we could host our own the whole process would go so much faster. Most of these routes were done on the asian servers with 250 ping because they seem to be the only empty ones up on maps I want most of the time.
If you ever want to come into teamspeak3, I am more than happy to change to a specific map for you or anyone else if I am around, as long as it doesn't intrude on others.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Wouldn't the ping affect your skiing from time to time?

Not really, the only time ping really messes things up with capping is when you are flag throwing and passing. As long as you have a decent stable ping. Imo, capping is the least ping dependant position.

phanakapan

Private Tester
Not really, the only time ping really messes things up with capping is when you are flag throwing and passing. As long as you have a decent stable ping. Imo, capping is the least ping dependant position.
I typed out a long drawn out response only to have it error out on me...but here is a brief response:

Capping is definitely the least ping dependent position when talking about static ping (the number).

That said, there are two very important ways that ping does affect capping. First, rocket jumping with 250 ping is a lot different than rocket jumping with 50 ping, especially at high speeds. What is normally a quick twitch becomes a more drawn out maneuver. You have to aim slightly differently and often the rocket jump will affect your speed in weird ways, slowing you or barely touching you, or doing lots of damage but you end up going the same speed. This can be frustrating to say the least. Second, skiing with higher ping seems to cause many more deadstops and random crater damage on otherwise perfectly smooth terrain. I would say I get deadstops on the Asian servers probably every 5th route which becomes a huge pain in the ass. I have no idea what causes this. The random damage is probably more due to visuals not syncing with where your actual player is and hitting lips and ridges that you are visually avoiding but not actually avoiding. Another odd effect of playing in high ping is the random jet fluttering that happens when you experience packet loss or ping spikes.

These affect every position, but are more detrimental to a capper as the success of a route requires relatively perfect skiing over a longer period of time, and very minor issues can ruin the whole route. A chaser may see the same things, but they can recover and adapt more easily more often, as there is much more gray area in chasing than in running highly refined routes when it comes to random ping events. Obviously aiming is always easier with a lower static ping. I would much rather cap with 250 ping than chase any day.

phanakapan

Private Tester
Blade Run is up:

I have 3 of 4 mirage routes done. holy *chocolate cookies* is that map annoying to cap on with speed. so many places to crater... The fourth route is proving to be a challenge, but I'm really close to getting it.

phanakapan

Private Tester
Is it possible to do a 250+ route without using a rocket jump?
There are a few routes where you can get close to 250 without a rocket jump. You can probably get to it without one one a lot of routes if you increase the setup time by adding in a few more hills, but they wouldn't be viable in a game.

I really like the sleepwalker route Sharp. It's damn fast and easy to do. The stygian route is good, but I don't like that you have to double RJ to hit 250+. I have a single RJ Stygian route that's over 250 that I will release soon. The one in your clip may be able to be done over 250 as well with more height.