Potential video tutorial ideas

Unknown

Private Tester
Blitz made a Movement Tutorial a while back that pretty much covered the basics. Not sure if it needs to be redone, but it might be a good idea anyway. This one wasn't publicized as much as the Survival Guide iirc, but it helped me a lot when I actually found it.

http://vimeo.com/2291130

Also, I can help out with capping if needed.

LindN

would be fun to do tutorial videos covering the different positions in CTF so new people can better understand the concept of the game so that pubs isn't team nr 1 at base nr 2 and theam nr 2 at base nr 1

And finally, a video on positions, especially capping and HOF.

This was said a few times i think, this is a very good idea as 90% of new players cba to read long posts about them. I think Conti had a guide somewhere outlining them, maybe someone could use that to make a guide?

Edit: if the guide were on this site [checkin for it now] I'd be happy to work on that once overdrive is released, albeit i don't have anything fancy, video editing wise, i do have fraps to make the video.

Edit 2: Yeah Contingency's "Guide to being Effective" outlines most of the positions. I call making that video!

Frost

I think an advanced movement guide would be helpful after the basic tutorial.
It could include things like ending your OD properly on a slope for capping and chasing, and some standard routes people use to get across maps (not just for capping, but in general). Light flag passing (not trick passing; but capper tossing to base and spawning then some flag play under pressure at the base)

Outlawl

Macabre
Perhaps efficient position playing.
LO- When to distract, when to hide, when to e-grab, how to clear the stand with OD.
Chase- How to prioritize, chasing tactics (proper use of rocket jumps)
LD- When to focus on LO or incoming cappers, useful vantage points on maps, calling out routes

Just a couple off the top of my head

discord

Private Tester
Shanks if you need a hand with this let me know. I'll help out with whatever even if it's just running routes over and freaking over for you to display all the different cutoff points etc

IzSid

Honored Hero
Same as Discord, I can help fraps, assuming you gonna want a lot of people to show different angles on routes, etc

Zhou

Private Tester
Just a few points for collaborative videos from experience:

1. It helps a lot if you agree certain measures before recording:
- Resolution
- Hud
- Aspect ratio (very important, and particularly hard to do in old Legions)
2. For the love of all that is holy do not try to get fraps-recorded footage across the internet, record it into a nice near-lossless codec thats still going to cut down the size by an order of magnitude. I'm a bit out of touch on recent codecs, but virtualdub isn't that hard to use, and there were some lovely near-lossless codecs out there.
3. Profit.

Buhlitz

I always thought a brief 30 second video detailing each position would be helpful for new players. There really isn't anything in game that tells players certain positions need to be played. I think that would go a long way in making PUBS more playable.

Just a few points for collaborative videos from experience:

1. It helps a lot if you agree certain measures before recording:
- Resolution
- Hud
- Aspect ratio (very important, and particularly hard to do in old Legions)
2. For the love of all that is holy do not try to get fraps-recorded footage across the internet, record it into a nice near-lossless codec thats still going to cut down the size by an order of magnitude. I'm a bit out of touch on recent codecs, but virtualdub isn't that hard to use, and there were some lovely near-lossless codecs out there.
3. Profit.

I have virtualdub, so i just take a fraps video, put it in virtualdub, and it wont be all bad and nasty looking?

Buhlitz

One thing I really wanted to do when legions was first up was integrate a video tutorial system into the game so that in between maps a random video would come up giving you tips on how to play any position, or advanced team tactics such as how to organize a 8 on 8 game properly, how to ski, or rocket jump or whatever. These would just be really quick concise flash videos that would load between maps or before maps loaded.

IMO it's really the only thing that makes pubs so boring, is people just join not really knowing what do other than cap or kill, and as we all know it's quite a bit more complicated than that.

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
One thing I really wanted to do when legions was first up was integrate a video tutorial system into the game so that in between maps a random video would come up giving you tips on how to play any position, or advanced team tactics such as how to organize a 8 on 8 game properly, how to ski, or rocket jump or whatever. These would just be really quick concise flash videos that would load between maps or before maps loaded.

IMO it's really the only thing that makes pubs so boring, is people just join not really knowing what do other than cap or kill, and as we all know it's quite a bit more complicated than that.

Yeah, if we actually had a video tutorial or even a written tutorial to show our players, they would actually know what to do and maybe try it out for themselves.

Zhou

Private Tester
I have virtualdub, so i just take a fraps video, put it in virtualdub, and it wont be all bad and nasty looking?

Basically? No.

Fraps encodes footage anyway so that it can record in real time. The resulting files are huge and have *some* artifacts.

Virtualdub won't make fraps footage magically look better, but the right codec will cut down the file size for internet transmission without a further significant loss in quality.

CapnSlaps

This is a great idea ^

Basically? No.

Fraps encodes footage anyway so that it can record in real time. The resulting files are huge and have *some* artifacts.

Virtualdub won't make fraps footage magically look better, but the right codec will cut down the file size for internet transmission without a further significant loss in quality.

ALright thanks Zhou :D

sh4rkb1t3

The last video tutorial was a complete failure. It should be scrapped completely, and we should learn from it's mistakes.

- Why? It was first of all, boring. It didn't capture any of the excitement of the real game, and wasn't at all entertaining.
- Next, it was too long. Nobody wants to sit through a boring lecture for 10 minutes before you can play the game.
- Also, it taught the BASICS that all FPS gamers knew for the first 5 minutes. Most people shut it down before they learned the things that people actually had trouble with, like overdrive and skiing.

If I were to redo it, I would do this.
- The basics, like WASD, jumping, shooting, etc. would be covered in under 15 seconds.
- The things that differentiate legions from other FPS's like skiing, jetting, etc. would be done in under a minute.
- It would show real game footage, and be much more fast-paced and exciting.
- Keyboard key overlays on the video, to show you what buttons to press.