Potential video tutorial ideas

Shanks

Private Tester
One thing I had intended to do during the IA saga of legions, was to put together an in depth video tutorial for ctf. While this has certainly been done to some extent, none that I've seen have really been satisfactory. I will likely be getting others from the community to participate with their respective positions in order to help in areas I am not comfortable giving advice (which would be most of them).

That being said, outside of just the basic position descriptions if there is anything specific you would like to see in a video tutorial, feel free to post it here.

Also keep in mind that this will not be getting a ton of attention until the legions release, or some time near there. These are just preliminary ideas

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
- A sniping Tutorial
- How to Overdrive well
- How to Overdrive nuke
- How to play HoF (needed badly!)

This is less a suggestion about tactics and more a suggestion that might help make it easier for players to learn.
I'd suggest in one corner of the screen you put a section with the relevant control keys, and you make each button turn red (a different colour to what it originally was) when it is pressed. I'm sure either you could find a little script for this (or it would be fairly easy to make at a guess).
I mean, players can guess what you do if they look carefully, but some adjustment moves might be hard to spot, and this would make things easier.

I think It would help, because it would help show players When they need to jet, and How to adjust their flight path with minimal speed loss etc.

I'd agree that a sniping tutorial (that repeatedly states when the best, and most polite times are to snipe) would be useful, but perhaps that would convince new players to focus too much on that skill, and avoid the other weapons.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
I'd agree that a sniping tutorial (that repeatedly states when the best, and most polite times are to snipe) would be useful, but perhaps that would convince new players to focus too much on that skill, and avoid the other weapons.

Mm, maybe a general overview of weapons would be nicer? That way the weapons are grouped together in one video.

masterluso

I would love to help with this, but I was by no means a pro when the game shut down. Other people could do it better.

In my opinion there should be:
A basic skills vid(basic controls, intro to weapons/classes skiing, and the concept of OD).
Perhaps a short video going more in depth on the weapons, their MKII forms, the concept of using explosions to move things, sniping, etc.
A single video giving an brief intro to each position.

This way, new players have a good idea of how to play(because I remember teaching myself to play was HELL), but still have to teach themselves routes, how to OD, dueling, etc.

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
I think masterluso hit the nail on the head. Basic skills such as an intro to movement, the HUD, and OD is good. I always thought OD was for getting maximum speed, not maintaining speed while changing directions quickly.
A sniping tutorial would be nice as well, but a good sniper takes practice, and a tutorial can really only teach some things.
An intro to leading with weapons, especially the chaingun, would help newbies better use the CG.
And finally, a video on positions, especially capping and HOF.

Redvan

Private Tester
basic energy management. For this you really just need to show different scenarios and have a voice over describing how you're managing your energy. Scenarios being things like skiing, LO, D, etc...

masterluso

basic energy management. For this you really just need to show different scenarios and have a voice over describing how you're managing your energy. Scenarios being things like skiing, LO, D, etc...
Maybe mentioning you have to be careful with your energy, but I think that would be something to teach yourself.

LindN

what's up with all the obvious stuff?

chasing a flag carrier, that's very self explanatory. get speed, kill him, get the flag. not very hard.

energy saving? oh, if i use up all my energy i won't have any left, maybe i shouldn't use it all.

tutorials shouldn't be about game mechanics and aiming, that's what you learn from simply playing the game.

what tutorials should be about is basic tactics, defending, attacking, capping and fake capping would be the most basic stuff.
very basic OD usages and how it works for the different classes
and of course jetting (and downjatting, starring ajax) without being mega slow, just show the basic ways of gaining speed, finding slopes to use (and not to use) and all that jazz

aiming is very self explanatory, chaingun doesn't hit if you aim directly, so lead.
rockets doesn't hit if you aim directly, so lead.
grenades shoots in a arc, so learn the arc and make your shots from that
snipers does not hit if aimed directly as they have to stay in the laser a while to actually take the damage, so lead, or line up shots.

a very big thing would be to teach out manners, very immature stuff going on in the old community, it's like the whole community was composed of 10 year olds who just learned how to swear.

masterluso

@LindN (cuz I don't wanta quote the whole thing)

Thats exactly what I don't think would work. (no offense)
The point is to teach how to maneuver your character efficiently, so we don't have noobs (no offense to them either) trying to walk across the map. If you haven't noticed, most FPS games don't move at speeds of 100+ m/s, and that could take some explaining. Once we have taught them how to move and fight in such an environment, then we can teach them positions, their purposes, and the very basics to playing them. That way they still have to teach themselves how to play said positions, use overdrive effectively, etc. The idea is not to teach them how to play the game, it is instead to teach them how to learn.

Edit: But yes, teaching them to behave is a good idea.

Redvan

Private Tester
The idea is not to teach them how to play the game, it is instead to teach them how to learn.

how do you teach someone to learn? By saying "you will learn by watching the training videos", or "observe others playing and replicate". Now that they've learned there are training videos, they can watch those and learn how to play different positions, energy management, etc... You can teach people those things.

masterluso

how do you teach someone to learn? By saying "you will learn by watching the training videos", or "observe others playing and replicate". Now that they've learned there are training videos, they can watch those and learn how to play different positions, energy management, etc... You can teach people those things.

What I'm trying to say is that it would be better for a player to only be taught so much before they have to actually have to think about how to play their position alone. Sure, you could show them how to do something over and over again, but would they actually learn anything past a certain point without first playing in that position some and then thinking of various ways to make themselves more effective at it? There are a lot of times where people don't understand what they are being taught until they figure it out for themselves. And then they feel like an idiot for not getting it the first time.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
[...] outside of just the basic position descriptions if there is anything specific you would like to see in a video tutorial, feel free to post it here. [...]
This is the topic, nothing else. Please, don't clutter up this thread with senseless debates. Nukes will fall. If you don't have anything to contribute to this topic, don't post. Thanks.

masterluso

This is the topic, nothing else. Please, don't clutter up this thread with senseless debates. Nukes will fall. If you don't have anything to contribute to this topic, don't post. Thanks.
Yessir, sorry sir.

Anyway, so the specific things I'd like to see are somewhere up there in my first post, and a mention of acting mature, that I wholeheartedly agree with.