Legions 3D

Alex

Many moons ago, when I was at my cousin's house he and I were playing legions on his own rig; he had a bunch of nvidia graphic cards. He said he wanted to try something, he pressed like three different keys and the screen looked like a spy kids 3d screen. He pulled out 3d glasses and said it was awesome. When I tried it was intense. The bullets where flying everywhere. He also plays crisis, just cause, and gta in 3d. Pretty trippy.
It is possible. I can ask him what graphics card allowed him to do that.
did you check for bullet wounds after that??

Zhou

Private Tester
I've got a 120hz screen and the glasses, so if I can dig out my old copy of the Legions editor I can have a look at the possibilities later, should people be interested.

Mostly the newer 3d stuff depends on how well its implemented. Cod:bops is ace to play in 3d, except the crosshair is 2d, making it a pain in the arse to snipe at a distance. As an experience though, its pretty awesome.

MJ1284

anak, MJ1284, & RockyRex:
wildly unnecessary.

Ah, pardon me if I have accidently offended any community member(s) with my statement above. It's unfair to judge XBox Live generation because 85 % of them ruins everybody's reputation and credibility, glad you pointed out my poorly formed sentence that could have been an unnecessary insult towards ALL XBox Live generation folks.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
I've got a 120hz screen and the glasses, so if I can dig out my old copy of the Legions editor I can have a look at the possibilities later, should people be interested.

Mostly the newer 3d stuff depends on how well its implemented. Cod:bops is ace to play in 3d, except the crosshair is 2d, making it a pain in the arse to snipe at a distance. As an experience though, its pretty awesome.

May I ask what the purpose of a screen with 120 Hz is practical for? Isn't the eye's maximum only like 40 Hz?

I would like to know though... Does the server draw the camera angle for the player, or do they send the entire level to the client which then draws depending on your position? If its just the client, then you wouldn't need anything beyond a really good GPU.

Moaty

The largest problem with adopting 3D technology as a whole is its health effects. While there are the obvious health implications - an increased chance of seizing, for example - the less obvious problem is more dangerous, namely, that 3D vision interferes with the development of stereoscopic vision in children. These children remain at risk until around the age of seven - expecting children to avoid television until then (or, at least, 3D TVs) is a risky assumption to make. Moreover, uneducated parents who are unaware of this danger may allow their children to watch their 3D television sets for hours at end, increasing the chances of strabismus (lazy-eye) in these children.

Here are a few articles that are more in-depth:
http://www.audioholics.com/news/editorials/warning-3d-video-hazardous-to-your-health/
http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com...g-alerts-children-teens-of-3d-tv-dangers.html

Slashdot link:
http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/10/06/26/2059205/3D-Displays-May-Be-Hazardous-To-Young-Children

Edit: Of course, this is only referring to the technology as a whole; implementing it in this game likely wouldn't be much of a problem.

MJ1284

The largest problem with adopting 3D technology as a whole is its health effects. While there are the obvious health implications - an increased chance of seizing, for example - the less obvious problem is more dangerous, namely, that 3D vision interferes with the development of stereoscopic vision in children.

I might go bit offtopic from 3D discussion here, but I had to point out this somewhat obvious example that's related to your statement:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/EP038

Mahidhar

You guys think too low. Legions is way better off, being a 'Virtual Reality' game. Not the Matrix type(too painful, behind the neck), but the Johnny Quest type.

I don't think that the health would matter, unless Nintendo was totally in favor for the upgrade in 3D technology that they had to put 'health' to the side. In the next couple of years, other people would copy Nintendo's 3D technology that doesn't require you to wear glasses.

Zhou

Private Tester
May I ask what the purpose of a screen with 120 Hz is practical for? Isn't the eye's maximum only like 40 Hz?

I would like to know though... Does the server draw the camera angle for the player, or do they send the entire level to the client which then draws depending on your position? If its just the client, then you wouldn't need anything beyond a really good GPU.

As far as I know, the eye doesn't have a maximum perceivable frequency. In any case, if it did it would likely vary by person and light conditions etc.

In terms of my personal experience, games played in 120hz on my new acer monitor have massively reduced ghosting compared to my 6ms dell 24", games "feel" smoother and more fluid, but all these things hinge on personal perception.

For the 3d effect, a screen needs to be 3d so it can send out two 60hz frequencies, which the accompanying glasses then synchronise with to create the perception of depth.

In terms of the software I don't know how its done, it doesn't necessarily have to be coded by the developer, as Tribes:v (an older game) works in it for example. Nevertheless, developers can improve the implementation.

And yes, it does nom on your gpu quite heavily in 3d mode or 120hz mode.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
The human eye is indeed around 40 hz, but the 120 makes it so that you can wear synced up glasses that alternate between frames (one is dark, the other is see through and vice versa) at 120 hz, and its synced up to the computer screen, which operates at 120z, so each eye is still seing everything at 60 hz. Alternating Current operates at 60 hz because the human eyes can't detect the flickering. Doubling the framerate means that when you go into 3D, you won't have any flickering issues.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
That would make sense... Even then, you'd still have the issue of making it polarized, unless you used shutters, but that would be very expensive...