As an Old Tribes Player, I'd LOVE to see....

Disci

Old man
Mahindar, stop it. No need to continue.

In exchange I would love to hear what you had in mind when you were suggesting there should be upgrades etc but they shouldn't make the game much different from Legions we know before Arcade went down.

Siper

Private Tester
Please do not add vehicles!!!!!!!!! that doesnt fit in this game! Especially not on the maps we used to have...

Astrum

Super Special R&D
#1. Vehicles, namely a Shrike type fast flier, and some sort of Tank or Mobile base.
#2. Large maps, for vehicles of course.
#3. DEPLOYABLES, namely turrets and mobile reload stations.

I'll only comment on #3. I do agree there should be deployables. I'd also like to see base assets and better loadouts (packs, grenades, mines, beacons). Right now the game is extremely simplistic. However, the way some of this stuff will work will necessarily be different from Tribes. I actually have a lot of opinions on how base assets in general could help Legions, but how different they need to be from Tribes style assets to fit into the game. Legions is not a Tribes sequel and definitely has its own quirks that need to be played too.

I have to say, if we brought in Deployable reload stations, we'd be seeing....
*start horror music*
"RETURN of the UNLIMITED AMMO O-SNIPER"
*keep going for a moment, then end horror music*

The problem with the LR is quite honestly map size. Right now it functions like the T:V LR with damage drop-off. The maps are so small it has to be constrained a lot otherwise it quickly becomes overpowered. Also, I seem to remember a lot of o-snipers using inventory stations close to the opposing force's base anyway, so deployable inventory stations wouldn't change much. It's not like you can go OOB and o-snipe (I also have opinions on this tbh).

Now I think about it, vehicles and deployables would make maps like blade run significantly better. Who knows it may actually allow them to be playable with a smaller amount of people. It would at least change the strategy involved, adding new gameplay elements etc.

Perhaps it would be wise to set the maps into large/small catergories and vary the content accordingly? For instance on the larger maps 'Snipers' *shudder* can have a lower damage drop off over distance and vehicles/deploy stations can be used. Then on the smaller maps have a higher damage drop off and a limited amount of deployables/vehicles.

Either that or have options for each individual map.

To be honest I can't see a shrike on nivosis, it's only use would probably be to crash into *chocolate cookies* and be a general pain in the arse. Suicide bomber much? >.< I guess it'd be amusing at first but any amusement would wear off very quickly.

On a totally different topic sticky nades would be amusing.:p

Fixious

Test Lead
I have to say, if we brought in Deployable reload stations, we'd be seeing....
*start horror music*
"RETURN of the UNLIMITED AMMO O-SNIPER"
*keep going for a moment, then end horror music*

As Disci said, you could always destroy them. Or you could just make o-sniping a kickable offense. Works pretty good in Tribes base these day. One warning, then kicked if you do it again. Harsh, but effective.

Or you could get all technical and limit how far away from your base you can deploy *chocolate cookies*.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
I don't see the point of vehicles on legions. If there were no jetpacks, then every single map would be big enough for vehicles, but in legions, you travel faster than cars do, you are the attack fighter. Also, with an attack fighter, you don't get any major altitude bonus because the players can get just as high. The entire point of legions is that you don't need vehicles for more speed or destructive power. Also, I'll agree with nighthawk043, you would get a huge O-Sniper issue, and that would be an issue. Also, Mahidar, very well put. I've never played Tribes, but based off of what you said, I'd agree, less pre-game strategy is a good thing. I like flexibility in a game, and that requires very little prep time. The prep time gets used to figure out cap routes and then you go in and play. Keep legions being legions, not tribes.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Also, in games other than PUBs, there is strategy involved with games like CTF. Instead of relying on deployables, you make your strategies based off what the other team is doing, making it more real-time strategy. (now to quote Lelouch "Real-time tactics is nothing against strategy!" sometimes I get that quote and sometimes I don't.) Anyways, the more flexible playing type without having to place everything to begin with is more appealing to me because I'm better suited to think quickly and on the spot in tactical situations, whereas other people tend to like to plan things out in advance. (On a side note, this tendency that i just talked about is one of the four dichotomies in the world's most accurate personality test) Anyways, I like a faster paced game where everything changes in a few seconds and relying on personal skill with jetpacks and skiing rather deployables.

NYPD219

Personally, I like Legions to be more player dependent, than environment dependent. I played tribes(only for a short while though), and it really wasn't my type of game. Tribes was all about strategy, timing and team skill. To prepare for a match, a professional team would have to think on, how to place their deployables, like mines, reload stations etc, for hours and hours and train. That would be fun, yes, but not in Legions. For me, Legions is supposed to be a 'less complicated' game than Tribes, but faster. As you said, NYPD, Tribes was not about skiing, and skiing was actually a bug in the game. But, Legions is made for skiing. Get the difference? I come back from college, stressed out. I just wanna start up a game, pick a class, shoot some people and log off. I just wanna play a game, which requires more of my instinct, than my mind, and you can survive an evening game in a public server, in Legions, with just that. If I really want to put in my mind, I would, by sorting out effective cap routes in a map, judging the positions of my players, whether they need any changes, stuff like that. It is a completely different story for Tribes. You'd have to think, every time, to survive in a CTF game, and I hate it, when a game tries to force me to think, and not let me go ahead in the game(I found some RPG games to be like that, at some points).

When I said; Legions is more player dependent game, it is. Everything in the game, needs to be done, personally by the player himself, not with the help of any detachable machinery or vehicles. If you want more defense, you'll be switching players, not upgrading to a mother ship(sorry, don't really know the names of those things in Tribes). It's a small and simple game, where player positions and speed matters and nothing should effect that. If Legions really need any expanding, it should be in the form of classes, so the player can have more versatile options, while choosing. Other upgrades can be weapons, maps and whatever the developers can think off, and it'll all be done without harming the speed of the game-play. If you really want Tribes, wait till January, 2011, and you'll have your game; Tribes Universe.

Are you seriously complaining about having to think? :confused:

I have news for you. I practiced for hours on end in Legions with clans like Omniscient Gaming, to play cap the flag. I thought I was good at it because of that, and my instincts.

Of course I understand the difference between legions and Tribes.

I think people complaining here just didn't like Tribes, but love Legions. I have no problem with that. I am just suggesting to add a little more dimension to the game, and not turn it into Tribes at all. Like I prefaced in my post title, "As a Old Tribes Player"...these are the things I'd like to see.

I do not think deployable reload stations would mean unlimited sniping ammo. There are counters for OSnipers, and if they are glued to their stations, then those counters would work even better.

Why would you want to close the thread anyway?

This is a neat debate. :cool:

NYPD219

I think that the difference between Tribes and Legions is that Legions is more like a sport-based game with a court and goals whereas Tribes is more like warfare. Difficult to figure out what would work well in a hybrid of the two. Not saying anyone is wrong or right but it might be helpful to keep in mind.

Exactly! I'd love to see an ATV on a football field and motion activated turrets spraying paintballs at the offense! :D

NYPD219

You could always implement a server option to include maps with vehicles and maps without, or an option to include them or not before a game starts. Maybe even a vote before a match begins.

I played tribes vengeance for a year ( I know not really a tribes game... but it has guns and you can ski....) and the vehicles where fun, but hated. Only the really bad players that could not duel would get in a vehicle unless it was the car that let you spawn in it. I hate the idea of having vehicles.... I did not work hard at being a chase sniping just to be run over by a teammate that cant shoot straight.

The deployable stuff I don't really like. It was frowned apone in vengeance because people would place these turrets down and did none of the skillful work. The aimbot in vengeance I think even came from the turret....

Gheist...... even your pic is a troll..... do you really go around all day and just pick post to troll on?? If I give you a cookie will you leave???

Gheist

King of all Goblins
That's not a troll, it's the king of all goblins and fairies (go play some good old games). Also, if I see bullshit, I tend to call people on it. As long as you know what you're talking about, and as long as you don't try to disguise your opinion as facts, everything is fine. I'll take that cookie anyways, thanks.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Yar, I agree with Astrum on this. Deployables would be an excellent addition, if done right. Legions plays quite differently from Tribes, and I feel that deployables would need to be tweaked in order to better fit with Legions pacing.

I'm not quite understanding the "Legions is fine as is, just add new weapons and maps". To me, that makes for fairly boring and generic gameplay. I can understand how some players enjoy the simplicity of Fallen Empire: Legions on the old IA arcade site, but I want so much more from this game.

Another aspect is vehicles. A lot of people bring up the fact that vehicles aren't needed due to the Legionnaires fast movement. And this is true for the current maps (excluding some of the larger ones, mind you). Nivosus would be broken, for example.

But larger maps, like Blade Run, vehicles would be exciting. Imagine being able to drive a mobile base to a map's midpoint to either help the offense, defend a specific map point, or what have you. That, to me, makes for a much more exciting match.

Also, I do believe Wahooka was a goblin and not a troll. -edit- Ninja'd by Gheist!

w00tyou

When I first saw this, I actually felt like asking an admin to close this thread.

Now that I've thought it over, I still want an admin to close this thread.
No warrent in your post so your argument is invalid.

On Topic: I would like to see the game get Balanced to the max.
Because it would help the gameplay a whole lot.
So i hope they do.