Own an Nvidia GTX 580?

JF_097

Anything. Gaming, image/video editing, 3D rendering (in future, lol). My mo-bo can't support SLI, so I'd get the fastest single GPU card. Or maybe just wait for GTX 595, the fastest dual GPU card (prediction here!).

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
What kind of resolution will you be gaming at?

Another choice could be to get a more mid-range GPU, and a more robust mobo that can support SLI. $549 for a GPU is steep!

JF_097

1920x1080 or 1920x1200. Coincidentally AMD Bulldozer and Bobcat will be released this 2011 so I might make revisions to my fictional rig (yes my rig is still on paper).

-AMD and Nvidia fanboy here! ;D-

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Yar, if you're gaming at 1920x1080 or 1920x1200, you'll probably be just as happy with performance from the 570 even.

Yeah, the new Bulldozer's will be coming out soon, one thing to note is that they're compatible with AM3 motherboards (available now). So you could always find yourself a deal on a 890FX chipset now and be comfortable in the knowledge Bulldozer will be compatible with it.

Poponfu

Lead Developer
I have a gtx480

I gotta warn you if you are going to work in programs like Maya or Max etc.. or 3D app that uses a opengl viewport , Nvidia decided to take out opengl optimizations on the newer GeForce cards so the viewports run REALLY bad with scenes more than 500k polys or so. They are trying to force you into getting a Quadro. I found this out the hard way :(

JF_097

If I can remember from research, those new AMD CPUs require socket AM3+, right? Oh yeah, my rig will be an mATX rig, because I don't need that many expansion slots. Only the OCZ RevoDrive and Video card will be installed. MSI 890GXM-G65 would be my mATX mo-bo of choice. Originally I'm planning on getting the AMD Phenom II x2 555 Black Edition then unlock the two additional cores and overclock it to 4.0+GHz. And the Corsair H50 would be sufficient to cool that.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
So far I haven't heard anything about a 'AM3+' board. With that said, I'm sure it'll likely be how it was between the transition from AM2 to Am3, with certain board manufacturers offering a BIOS update for the new chips and perhaps slightly revised AM3+ boards being released.

LindN

If I can remember from research, those new AMD CPUs require socket AM3+, right? Oh yeah, my rig will be an mATX rig, because I don't need that many expansion slots. Only the OCZ RevoDrive and Video card will be installed. MSI 890GXM-G65 would be my mATX mo-bo of choice. Originally I'm planning on getting the AMD Phenom II x2 555 Black Edition then unlock the two additional cores and overclock it to 4.0+GHz. And the Corsair H50 would be sufficient to cool that.
can all 555's be unlocked? heard only a few could :O

JF_097

I can't find a Phenom II quad here so I'll just buy the dual then make it a tri or quad core. Cheap but risky.

Oh and Seymour. Have you met Linus? Linus Sebastian? Works for NCIX?

JF_097

He's got an insane amount of PC components and peripherals. But 3DGAMEMAN still dominates PC in Youtube. I love 'em both. ;D

It's settled then. GTX 570. This makes me choose a sub-650W PSU. My rig got cheaper, in a good way.

LindN

He's got an insane amount of PC components and peripherals. But 3DGAMEMAN still dominates PC in Youtube. I love 'em both. ;D

It's settled then. GTX 570. This makes me choose a sub-650W PSU. My rig got cheaper, in a good way.
he works for a computer store, it's hard to not have an insane amount of PC components around then.

Siper

Private Tester
crysis at high settings? not playable on a 220

I have the same card, and I can run legions and mw2 on max settings.. I don't have crysis but I have battlefield bad company 2, it runs on max settings if you settle for a somewhat low fps of 20, which is definitely playable and comfortable on battlefield bc2, especially in single player mode. It's a decent cheap card!

Anyway, about the 580, I've heard its a great card, but its pretty expensive... go for it if you can afford!

I just got the ATI 6850 and it a lovely card (probably the best bang for your buck out there right now). But if you have the money to throw away, go for it.