Why do you prefer Live over 1.4?

What specifically makes you want to play Live over Public test?

• I don't approve of the new core(s) (please specify with reply)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Simply, the LR

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • I don't approve of the deployables (specify with reply once more)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • New game modes are awesome, but I like to play my CTF most of the time still (More servers!)

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • The game just doesn't feel the same (It's not supposed to, so better you have a damn good reply)

• I'm waiting for 1.4 to come to Live, relatively bug free

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • More people are in the Live server

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • I actually play 1.4 more often

• Total voters

Jaymyster

So I've finally decided to make a thread to effectively specify what has been the primary conflict for players not choosing to play Public Test over Live. I'm quite confident I've provided the most relevant changes here that are directly from the 1.4 Blog changes that have been listed. I've also not given the option to choose more than one selection in the poll in order to make players choose their most important reason, and making the primary issue more clear as a result.

Being that Live continues to be played far more frequently than public test even after the problem has been addressed to the community both via forums and in game; I believe it's time to pin point what the exact issue is, temporarily resolve it, and slowly work on fixing it later. Because right now, no single conflict is worth delaying the valuable feedback the devs are so in need of more now than ever. And if it takes resetting that one thing back to the way it was to make the community happy, I'd say it's damn well worth it for how much feedback is still required about the many other changes there are in 1.4. Especially because of how long Live has continued to be played over Public Test at this point... it's pathetic compared to how things have always been in the past when Public Test would usually very quickly take over as the community's preference.

Saw me playing on Live at some point? Cool that means you were too

Poponfu

Lead Developer
Well , 1.4 will be going live very soon , please post feedback about things you like/dont like when it does.

I don't know what names you smurf under but 1.4 does get going now and then and is mostly complaint free. Except for bugs here and there which have been ironed out over the last month of public test. The new core HUD is finished and its coming to live.

Thanks !

Jaymyster

Well , 1.4 will be going live very soon , please post feedback about things you like/dont like when it does.

I don't know what names you smurf under but 1.4 does get going now and then and is mostly complaint free. Except for bugs here and there which have been ironed out over the last month of public test. The new core HUD is finished and its coming to live.

Thanks !

1.4 is great pop. In no way do I intend to downplay any of the changes made in 1.4 from this thread. Personally, I see 1.4 as an evolved Live. But in light of all these awesome changes, there should be no reason why players are still playing Live. Which is why I'm trying to (at least for you guys) help pin point whatever issue that could exist that is still determining the community's game play preference.

P.S I look forward to dem HUD changes

Poponfu

Lead Developer
I don't think there is really choosing one over the other for most people. We are not all so attached to a no charge LR ;p . Which ever server fills first , will usually be the one played for the night. People who get FPS issues on elegiac I understand though , its been mostly fixed.

Jaymyster

I don't think there is really choosing one over the other for most people. We are not all so attached to a no charge LR ;p . Which ever server fills first , will usually be the one played for the night. People who get FPS issues on elegiac I understand though , its been mostly fixed.

Ahh, I realllyy don't wanna sound like I'm opposing everything you're saying pop =\; but out of the 5 times I remember seeing the Public Test server significantly populated (6+ players) before the Live server, 3 of those times the population eventually shifted to the Live server by the evening hours (EST). The last time it was populated before Live though (from what I remember), there was a really fun 8v8, and it lasted a good 4-6 maps too, but that hasn't happened since.

Kryst

Private Tester
The games in Pub Test have been really fun. But I think its the simple fact that most people are used to the "live" version and just continue using it simply because its "live". When the patch arrives, I'm sure much fun will be had, for everyone.

Fixious

Test Lead
People play Legions because it's simple. Jump in, go after the flag, kill some LO/LD, chase, snipe, and that's about it. 1.4 made things more complex, and with Engineer more complicated. Going up against an enemy base with deployables may not seem enjoyable to a portion of the community because now certain roles are required that weren't needed in the past. Your normal LO/clear probably won't cut it anymore unless they're well equipped with EMP nades, or have a nice spot with the mortar. As someone who's usually a capper himself, I've actually stuck with the Engineer in 1.40. Both because I find some fun in it, along with testing it as much as I can in a normal pub setting.

Thankfully, public test brought a few updates that makes the Engineer a bit easier to use (you no long have to be stationary to deploy, every item is available at level 0, leveling in general has been removed, you now get a set EM limit to deploy stuff, deploying items is much better, deployable limits help prevent crazy OP camps along with fps lag), along with removing a bit of the rage I noticed (guardian turrets got a mega-nerf). I also think once people caught wind of their precious laser rifle getting nerfed they immediately raged and disregarded 1.40 forever. If they'd stuck around they would have noticed it also got changes, such as a decrease in reload time and an increase in damage (more than once).

The reason why only Frostbyte and Elegiac were available was because they were the most stable for each setting. Frostbyte was the place to test the new cores, while Elegiac was aimed at testing Engineer. The community never really got a chance to fully test the features in 1.40. CNC/FCNC game modes weren't played a whole lot due to a few game-crashing bugs, which have been ironed out as Pop said. I can safely say that when CNC worked in private test, they were the funnest games for pretty much every tester. It's a very different kind of game, one that those who enjoy dueling and a different form of strategy will enjoy (along with those wishing to really put Engineer to use). I believe one big game of FCNC was played on pub test and it was honestly pretty damn fun, and surprisingly close (9800 to 10,000 or something).

But overall I think people just gravitated towards whichever server had people in it. If server 1 had more people than server 2, people would join server 1. That, and familiarity.

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
The games in Pub Test have been really fun. But I think its the simple fact that most people are used to the "live" version and just continue using it simply because its "live". When the patch arrives, I'm sure much fun will be had, for everyone.
My thoughts exactly.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
I would just like to point out that there is no option for most people are in the live server and that there is also no option for "I do primarily play 1.40"

tree

All the new stuff is great, but with it all comes more stuff to go wrong with in an actual public game. Basically, every single pub on live I play on needs people who think about the game, so if there is more stuff to think about with just as many players, things are bound to go wrong. I play live over public test because it's got less to go wrong, less for me to get annoyed about and less for others to get shouted at and since live hasn't got many people who think, it will be even worse in public test. That is my opinion atleast.

BugsPray

Legions Developer
Good thread Jay. I added the options Volt mentioned. If we're trying to get feedback, we want to see who are actually OK with 1.40 or if they don't really have an opinion because it's a numbers thing.

I didn't vote because I feel it is a combination of the choices. As everyone is well aware, I personally don't care for the new LR. Specifically the "fire on release", not the fact that it has to charge first. It adds a lack of accuracy to the weapon. Also, basic gameplay, (i.e. movement & weapons delivery), doesn't feel right. In Live I feel more in-sync with the gameplay, you actually feel like you are "there". In 1.40 version, that feeling is gone. I wish I could better put it into words for you all, but I just can't seem to put my finger on why the gameplay feels a little uneasy. LR aside, I was a pretty good shot with the rocket launcher, and now my accuracy has dropped at least by 50% (in 1.40 only). The new respawn times are kind of a drag too. Once again, this post was meant as positive feedback to try and help the Devs. I've simply stated my preferences for the Live version; it honestly just feels more comfortable for some reason. I wish I could have helped isolate the problem better...hope this helps.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
There have been no changes to the respawn times or the rocket launcher. Please read the changelog.

Fixious

Test Lead
Respawn time may have gotten a very small increase. I didn't really notice it, but I believe Jordan brought it up before the push to live.

Sorry, I was mistaken about the respawn times being in 1.40. I was in the Live Hot Swap server an hour ago dueling w/black cipher, and every time I died, My respawn times increased. When it reached 10 seconds, it didn't go any higher. OSD actually stated that respawn would be available in 10 seconds. I chatted about not liking the longer respawn times, and "I AM BEST" agreed, so apparently I'm not the only one who has experienced it. Sorry about the mix-up, I think it was the new splash screen that confused me seeing as it's the same one for both versions now. Everyone keeps telling me that nothing has changed as far as the weapons are concerned, but they do feel different. Delivery & accuracy has definitely been affected. Perhaps new code/environmental variables have affected it slightly somehow, even if nothing with the weapons has been changed (programming wise).