The future of the World Legions League

Do you think that the World Legions League will be a success?

• Total voters

Battelstar

Some reasons why the WLL "failed":

- We, the league admins, didn't have enough experience with organizing things like this. For example the rules and the league system were not thought out very well -> we had many problems to keep the league alive.
- Most of the participating teams were not organized -> the teams did not participate in the matches, they were not present at the agreed times, the leaders of most of the clans were not using IRC -> it was hard to contact most of the teams, often it was impossible -> the idea to let the teams set a date and time for each match failed

Solutions:

- New rules (http://www.legionswll.hyperphp.com/index.php?l=2&s=3&mod=content&view=rules). The rules and the website are still in work, if u have any ideas to make them better tell me
- We will try to get some experienced legions players in our team of league admins
- WLL irc channel: #legions.wll

Reasons why a new season of the WLL could fail:

- I do not think that there are enough WELL ORGANIZED teams out there who are able to play in a league, correct me if I am wrong
- Because Legions is still a beta game there will be many changes (I hope) during the league is running, I'm not sure which impact the changes will have on the league
- I don't know if there will be enough/any servers to host the WLL matches

Reasons why the WLL could be a success:

- We are motivated to organize the league and with the help of the clans and the developers we can do it
- We have learned from our mistakes
- I think the WLL would be very attractive for everyone, for example WLL matches LIVE!!!
- I also think that most of the clans want a league like this, a real competition, to play against the best legions clans and/or watch the matches of the best teams on WLL_TV (http://www.livestream.com/WLL_TV?t=905185).

For sure we will wait minimum for 2 months after the return of legions before we start the league to see how the game and the clans are developing.

Finally my questions to you are: Do u want us to organize the league and do you think it will work? Which teams would probably participate?

Battelstar

With a game that's (hopefully) quickly and constantly evolving and changing for quite a while, how do you imagine to pull off seasons of competitive play?
The question is: What kind of changes?

New weapons?: I do not think that they will make any problems because everyone has the possibility to use them.
New maps?: we will chose the maps BEFORE the league starts
Changes to the CTF-mode/gameplay: It would have to be changes in this mode, which really change the way of playing CTF. If this happens i have to agree with you. I personally like the CTF like it is and i do not see reasons why there should be changes.

Disci

Old man
Deplyables, new weapons and possible vehicles. They all changes the way CTF is played. Just a FYI.

Battelstar

But are they changes which would have an influence on the league?

Also, after a talk with some guys at IRC i prefer the ladder system, I did not think about that before. Maybe the World Legions Ladder? :p

Maybe we could organize something like that, if nobody else will.

Xzanth

Legions Developer
But are that changes which would have an influence on the league?

Also, after a talk with some guys at IRC i prefer the ladder system, I did not think about that before. Maybe the World Legions Ladder? :p

Maybe we are organizing something like that, if nobody else does.
Yeah I was going to suggest that too, when we were next on. It would be easy to change the rules to accommodate changes to legions, because of the lack of a time frame. Organizing matches wouldn't be as forced, so teams that are not quite as active would still be able to participate and organize a match once in a while, you'll forfeit games if you don't accept challenges though ;)
This could work a lot better than a league with the current form of competition, and I would no longer spend most of my time chasing down teams that haven't organized a time for their match. Hopefully, when there's more info about servers and legions, we could revisit this, at the least it could be a simple system to help teams organize scrims.
Also if we were to come back it would be on a different host (possibly here), as the last one was just terrible

Novaz

I think we're all getting too hype for competition and discussing it before the game even comes out... There's still a little less than a month, we should see how everything goes in the first few weeks before moving onto competition. Sure it's good to think ahead but I feel like in this scenario it's better to wait and see what time has in store.

A2

I suggest we wait untill clans start settling down. Maybe more than 2 months, you know, more updates, much better stuff etc.

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
Give it at least a month before you start trying to host your own league. This gives the community time to finish up prepping their teams and maybe even some new decent competitve teams will sprout up. For now, I'd stay to give it some time so we can get our play time in pugs and scrims in.

A2

Give it at least a month before you start trying to host your own league. This gives the community time to finish up prepping their teams and maybe even some new decent competitve teams will sprout up. For now, I'd stay to give it some time so we can get our play time in pugs and scrims in.
He already mentioned waiting for 2 months. But I think we have to wait for more.

Xzanth

Legions Developer
I think we're all getting too hype for competition and discussing it before the game even comes out... There's still a little less than a month, we should see how everything goes in the first few weeks before moving onto competition. Sure it's good to think ahead but I feel like in this scenario it's better to wait and see what time has in store.
Hopefully, when there's more info about servers and legions, we could revisit this.

For sure we will wait minimum for 2 months after the return of legions before we start the league to see how the game and the clans are developing.

EDIT:
@Vustom: I would probably put it on the main domain until my other site is ready, assuming it goes ahead. But the trouble is, it is has nothing to do with wll.

Alex

sure this is a great idea..but if i remember corectly i tried something similar in beta...and it turned out badly...mainly because we weren't organized..and most players couldn't stand still..

57thRomance

We must learn to crawl before we run, people. PUGS and scrims, two types of matches Contingency has advocated time and time again, should go before any type of competition-based system. I'd say do this at least for a couple months so that people can get used to the changes of the new beta, and the teams active in Legions can get themselves organized and ready to play against other people. As new ideas flood into the development process and are carried out, we may have to constantly adjust to changes, for this is still a game in beta. Therefore, let us not rush things.

djfaith

Good call. I am sure its fun to speculate but really its still too soon. I agree with the idea of its hard to have a steady competition with a game still in development. I have seen issues with this is Team fortress 2 with the constant evolution of that game. But all in all its always fun to play competitive, so who knows...

OmniNept

Actionaut
Good call. I am sure its fun to speculate but really its still too soon. I agree with the idea of its hard to have a steady competition with a game still in development. I have seen issues with this is Team fortress 2 with the constant evolution of that game. But all in all its always fun to play competitive, so who knows...

YOU'RE GOING DOWN!

Heartsong

I think that the most important idea that is currently missing from this thread is that we should wait before starting anything competitive.