Running dedicated servers.

RockeyRex

Legions Developer
So seemingly as no one else bothered to take a look at the script files other than datablocks to find this out (Seriously, you thought the offical servers were ran with gfx?) I'll lay it out here to stop the mis-information spreading.

Make a shortcut of your Legions.exe and add this line to it.
Code:
-dedicated -mod-list=ModList_Server.txt -server-config=config.cs

If you wish to have multiple different startup configs, just make a new config file and change the shortcut to follow. (-server-config=meltdownconfig.cs)

Notice that whatever settings you wish to have, you'll need to change first from config.cs (or whatever you made after) or you'll need to manually fiddle about in the console that pops up when launching the server.

Questions on the subject go below.

The_Horny_Rat

I made a Legions_dedicated.bat file in the public-test folder next to the Legions.exe, just like I use to for tribes2.
Then I edited its properties to this > Legions.exe -dedicated -server -config=config.cs
Right now this command line starts the black server console screen and loads the scripts just like tribes, but then the game console opens witch I don't want. I want to run a dedicated server running out of the legions server folder not a mod folder. It would be nice to make this easy for anyone else who is new to Legions. I think it would help to include a dedicated server .bat file in legions and a readMe on server setup and run links.;)

RockeyRex

Legions Developer
Legions.exe -dedicated -server -config=config.cs
Right now this command line starts the black server console screen and loads the scripts just like tribes, but then the game console opens witch I don't want. I want to run a dedicated server running out of the legions server folder not a mod folder.
<--- I had this face for a LONG TIME. Seriously.

Did you even try out whatever was written on the OP post? Did you actually check what was in the ModList files before deeming those were useless?
I'd like to help, seriously. But for tickles sake you are not even remotely trying to help your self.

Also "-server-config" is a single switch, no space between.

Rest of the post however:

Yes. We'll be giving out some sort of documentation to ease with these matters before things go live.
Thank you for a suggestion of adding pre-made .bat files for running a dedicated server. I will see to that as well.

The_Horny_Rat

<--- I had this face for a LONG TIME. Seriously.

Did you even try out whatever was written on the OP post? Did you actually check what was in the ModList files before deeming those were useless?
I'd like to help, seriously. But for tickles sake you are not even remotely trying to help your self.

Also "-server-config" is a single switch, no space between.

Rest of the post however:

Yes. We'll be giving out some sort of documentation to ease with these matters before things go live.
Thank you for a suggestion of adding pre-made .bat files for running a dedicated server. I will see to that as well.

Thanks,
This was also a big issue back in the tribes2 communuity. Lots of folks where just to dumb or had problems making thier own command lines for dedicated or player hosted mod servers.
The tribes2 classic mod dev team was the most professinal there was, and included well written info on most everything related to running a server.

*RR nuke to avoid public confusion*

Defender

I am running the new [WA] Seattle 1#, at www.nfoservers.com... They charge 29.99 for thier single core VPS, per month. You can run 1-3 servers off it.. My OS is windows server 2003 64 bit. I am using Windows remote desktop connection, to run the server. I am also looking for any one who wants to help pay for the server.. 5 bucks per month donation to my server account gets you full super admin on the server. I only need about 6 people for this server. Info on how to donate below. I will be giving out special password for each admin or passwords, that are logged each time thay log in Legions on the server as admin. This is a good way for you to have admin on a Legions server with out paying for the total cost. I know its going to be difficult to keep track of whos paying or not paying. I hope paying admins don't give out the password to everyone and make things diffulcult.

An easy link for others to donate to you from outside of the control panel would be: https://www.nfoservers.com/donate.pl?force_recipient=1&recipient=jackhemphill66@aol.com. We describe this more here.