Questions

MightySheep

As you might have guessed, this thread is for asking questions

Hopefully someone will answer them... that is the job of the community manager I think

I'll start: Will there be fall damage or no fall damage?

Jazcash

What must I do to be able to participate in the beta? Is it a random selection, or should I clean my tongue for some ass kissin'?

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
What must I do to be able to participate in the beta? Is it a random selection, or should I clean my tongue for some ass kissin'?
FAQ said:
WILL THERE BE ANY BETA TESTING?

Yes, there will be a new team selected for Private Testers, and they will be handpicked by the developers. The developers will be looking for members that are active within the community, able to properly articulate themselves, act with maturity, possess an understanding of game mechanics, and a fair amount of technical prowess.
We'll also be doing public testing, a feature where the game launcher will ask you if you want to participate in a public test event. These will be available for a limited time and are designed to further test out a new build and to receive general feedback from the entire community. We want this game to have as much community involvement as possible, and feel that this is the best method to allow everyone a chance to test an upcoming build while still maintaining a tight focus.

There's your answer

A2

SeymourGore said:
Yes, there will be a new team selected for Private Testers, and they will be handpicked by the developers. The developers will be looking for members that are active within the community, able to properly articulate themselves, act with maturity, possess an understanding of game mechanics, and a fair amount of technical prowess.
From the Legions FAQ.

And fall damage is one of the main reasons I became good at capping. Wouldn't like it to 'not' be there.

Edit: Aww piggeh, sorry, we kinda posted at the same time.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
True, but it doesn't really make sense to be able to fly into a wall at 200 m/s and not die... I don't care how strong your armor is, that kind of impact will pulp you.

A2

Fall damage = people trying to avoid it while capping etc, which actually makes them more accurate and better at what they are doing. FD are a big advantage.

57thEnryu

Fall damage = people trying to avoid it while capping etc, which actually makes them more accurate and better at what they are doing. FD are a big advantage.
exactly, fall damage was introduced after I got serous about capping and it definitely helped me. I can hit a needle on the ground now (not this second cuz, well, I havet played in months. But I'm ready to be a noob again XD)

MightySheep

There were just more tricks and cool moves available before

Like on that snow level you used to be able to get a gigantic run up and just fly across the whole map, if you tried anything like that with fall damage you would just disintigrate as soon as you came into contact with anything at that speed

and I'm pretty sure you did used to die if you flew into walls at super speed

Jazcash

There's your answer

Thanks. Don't see how I could've missed that after reading the whole FAQ.

Also, in regards to fall damage, I really didn't like this update when it happened. I was kind of used to really having some fun, getting to the highest point I could find on the map then free-falling just for the sheer thrill of it. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for adding some skill into the game, but I'm not such a big fan of realism. If fall damage was added for realistic effect, I really disagree with this change. The reason I play games is to get away from realism.

If it was added to add some skill to capping, then I don't mind as much. I guess it's something I'll eventually just have to get used to, but I will miss not having any worries about whether the ground is hostile or not.

57thEnryu

There were just more tricks and cool moves available before

Like on that snow level you used to be able to get a gigantic run up and just fly across the whole map, if you tried anything like that with fall damage you would just disintigrate as soon as you came into contact with anything at that speed

and I'm pretty sure you did used to die if you flew into walls at super speed
oh contrair, I used to rocket jump myself all the way across the map (from the bottom of one tower to the top of the other), land on the shelf just before the flag, overdrive into the flag, and fly out with like 30% health left, more than enough to get back and pass the flag off. And that was long after fall damage was introduced.

Trashman

when we started beta testing the first builds didn´t have fall damage.
we (most of the early testers) urged Munge to add it, which he finally did.
made the game much more skillbased and added to the overall feel of the speed.
i am glad it was added, i hope it stays.

Shanks

Private Tester
there are a few tricks that players could exploit to do things far too easily in the absence of fall damage. That being said, fall damage will likely stay in the game.

Mots0311

Legions is a hard game to play, finesse goes a long way. The game is much more fun when you have to figure how someone did some wild manouver. Makes you try harder, play smarter, be better. I dont want Legions being like all other "shoot em up" games.

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
it is possible to use overdrive to stop fall damage, and the fall damage was necessary to help new players get better faster.
crash said it himself.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Yar, to answer a couple of questions:

Expect fall damage to be included in Legions: Overdrive.

Private Tester selection will begin shortly. Don't feel too miffed about not getting in right away, Public Tests should be a lot of fun to participate in. Sure, the private testers will get access to a lot of early development, but they'll need to deal with the headaches and mundanity that these buggy early phases entail. Whereas a public tester gets a crack at near final code, woo!

Disci

Old man
Fall damage also made it easier for defenders to chase those pesky cappers because due the fall damage they can predict where capper will land and then unleash the hell over that specific spot when capper arrives there. With out that the balance of OvD would be even more at O end.

But this is just another discussion about this same mater which started on old old IA forums over a year ago. Get over it already. =/