ps4

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Yar, pretty decent presentation. Would've been nice to have seen the console itself, but the Dual Shock4 was really impressive. Also, most of the rumors nailed the hammer on the head.

k e v i n

Private Tester
yea well i'm still watching it, right now they're showing some game, but it's interesting with what else they'll be talking about

Libra

Main Processor
Single-chip custom processor
CPU : x86-64 AMD “Jaguar”, 8 cores
GPU : 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next-generation Radeon™ based graphics engine

Memory
GDDR5 8GB
Hard Disk Drive
Built-in
Optical Drive (read only)
BD 6xCAV
DVD 8xCAV

I/O
Super-Speed USB (USB 3.0)
AUX

Communication Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)
IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth® 2.1 (EDR)

AV output
HDMI
Analog-AV out
Digital Output (optical)

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
This console is going to be unbelievably expensive. You might as well build a new machine for yourself.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Yar, couple of questions that I want answered before I possibly take the plunge on a new console.

1. Offline play: they're really pushing connectivity, however being a country boy, my internet's not the most stable (even at this moment it's constantly going off and on). So, I need to make sure there's no online drm at work here.
2. Social integration can be turned off. Pretty sure I remember them stating this in the conference, but I don't generally like my family and gamer nerds mixing it up together, so I'd want all social networking aspects turned off. Also, I'm a little concerned about the amount of 'video spam' that will be on walls with the 'Share' option.
3. Price. Rumored price point being around $430, so far the rumors have been very accurate so pending a crazy price point initiated by MS, this price seems reliable. And fair too.

Fixious

Test Lead
Yar, couple of questions that I want answered before I possibly take the plunge on a new console.

1. Offline play: they're really pushing connectivity, however being a country boy, my internet's not the most stable (even at this moment it's constantly going off and on). So, I need to make sure there's no online drm at work here.
2. Social integration can be turned off. Pretty sure I remember them stating this in the conference, but I don't generally like my family and gamer nerds mixing it up together, so I'd want all social networking aspects turned off. Also, I'm a little concerned about the amount of 'video spam' that will be on walls with the 'Share' option.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-playstation-4-does-not-require-an-internet-connection

"You can play offline, but you may want to keep it connected," he suggested. "The system has the low-power mode - I don't know the official term - that the main system is shut down but the subsystem is awake. Downloading or updating or you can wake it up using either the tablet, smartphone or PS Vita."

Are all of those things optional, though? For people who have broadband data limits, for example? They can customise everything?

"Oh yes, yes, you can go offline totally. Social is big for us, but we understand there are some people who are anti-social! So if you don't want to connect to anyone else, you can do that."

Propkid

c22b2f73a28d9a59e38ca35c8858e460_original.jpg

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
silly comparison picture

PC is always ahead of the consoles.
what you fail to realise is that if sony is not completely stupid, they'll price the PS4 at a point where to make games like that on the pc, will cost considerably more.
i.e. PC crysis 3 on max costs at least £1k to run on max settings, probably a reasonable amount more, whereas this is likely to cost ~£400
saying that the PS4 is outdated already is a little silly.
worse than a gaming pc? ok, but not by as much, since it pretty much is a cheap gaming computer anyways.
(we'll ignore all the fantastic steam sales and stuff atm, since we don't know the pricing for the ps4 games)

what i really hope, is that since this is just the beginning, it means that games sizes and quality will probably jump considerably.
and the PC ports (meh) will be better quality too, since they are effectively running on the same architecture.
there was even talk about it being easier to develop directly for PC then port to consoles, which would be amazing!

if you look at the comparisons of oblivion to skyrim, you'll see they look worlds apart, yet both were released on the same console, in which case i'm hoping something similar will happen (although this large difference was mainly due to the weird PS3 architecture)

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
The reasons you get a console is for the low upkeep, ability to move it around without lugging a 50lb monster and the exclusives. (For me at least)

You'll never have to upgrade your PlayStation because the GPU is out of date. I can unplug my old fat PS3 and bring it anywhere I go, that monster will not die. *knock on wood*