New Server Rotation Revised

Jaymyster

I have played the new server rotation on the public servers since it has been released for a suitable amount of time; which has allowed me to to develop the conclusions I have come to in terms of changes that are needed in the rotation. Granted the updated rotation is a great step up from before, there are still some changes need to be made. The current updated rotation is as follows:

FrostByte - 1.0 (0-18 players)
Nivosus - 0.8 (0-12 players)
Moonshine - 0.6 (0-14 players)
Zenith Cauldron - 0.9 (16-20 players)
Fallout - 0.9 (16-20 players) (no reason for the min. to be this high)
Stygian - 0.2 (16-20 players) (no reason for min./max to be this high, if anything it's more of a clusterphuck on the flagstand this way)
Elegiac - 0.6 (14-20 players)
Gorge - 0.5 (14-20 players)

One problem I can pick out from this right off the bat in addition to playing with the rotation on the pub server is that there is no escape from Frost, Nivosus, and Moonshine when under 14 players... This is the reason why the map rotation doesn't seem as changed, because these 3 maps still dominate the server when under 14 players. This ends up to be a vicious circle due to the fact that players will leave due to the lack of variation between those 3 maps and the game will have less potential to grow so that the other 5 maps are available. My solution to this will appear where the <3 is.

Not much needs to be changed, but there are still some parts where it definitely needs improvement. This is the revised rotation in addition to the rationale behind the changes made.

FrostByte - 1.0 (0-18 players)
Fine
Nivosus - 0.8 (0-12 players)
Fine
Moonshine - 0.6 (0-14 players)
Fine
Zenith Cauldron - 0.8 (16-20 players)
Yes, I know this may be a shocker to some people, I reduced Zenith by .1. The reason behind this is because, although Zenith may be a map that vets enjoy more, it really doesn't run as well in pubs. The reason that is so is because of the larger amount of non-skilled players involved, which makes the majority of cappers on Zenith front routes in which are pursued at mediocre to slow speeds that only end up screwing up their teammates that actually know how important doing a real cap route on Zenith is. (Let's be honest, a pub on Zenith, is like a 1/4th as good as a pug. Although that could be said with many maps, it's become recurring for me to see a game on Zenith eventually fall apart and for most of the players to stop playing and dick around) However, it's only .1, not that big of a change/deal.

Stygian - 0.2 (10-18 players)

Elegiac - 0.8 or 0.9 (12-20 players)

Changes made: 1. Fallout/Elegiac minimums reduced to 12 players, Stygian reduced to 10
2. Elegiac map weight + 0.2/0.3 | 3. Stygian max. -2 players.

1. The reason why I have changed the minimum players in all 3 of these maps to 12 players is because of the problem that I have stated above <3. If these maps are reduced to a 12 player minimum, the problem with Frost, Nivo, and Moonshine consuming the server should finally come to a halt in terms of being overplayed. 6v6 on Fallout, Stygian, and Elegiac is a perfectly sufficient starting minimum for a pub.

2. Elegiac is a map is a commonly enjoyed map, get's little negative feedback, and hell, I've played a LOT more pugs on Elegiac than on Fallout, so I see no reason why it shouldn't be up there with it. Elegiac almost never has the tendency to clear the server of it's population. (unlike some of the common maps do even)

3. Stygian's max. player count was reduced by 2, you may even consider 4 if you so choose. The reason why I changed the max was simply because the flag-stand on Stygian is already a mess with mortar. Stygian is an awesome map, but having a max that high with even more players will only make that issue worse. Minimum reduced to 10 to have at least a chance at SOME variation in the server when it contains low population.

Gorge - 0.5 (14-20 players)
Fine

And that's pretty much everything that needs to be changed.

The problem with the rotation as a whole in addition to the tendency of maps being chosen would no longer be an issue if more good maps are made. (consider as a bigger priority maybe?)

I theorize that a possibility for why the map rotation was made the way it was in the first place was to preserve the other maps so people don't get tired of them. If that's true, then once more, maybe it should be considered a bigger priority to invest more time into making good maps.

Anyway, stay on topic about the rotation if you're going to reply.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
I don't think this really deals with the issue of having Frost, Nivo and Moonshine dominate the PUBS. Honestly, what needs to happen is give Stygian another chance. New players that want to try chasing will benefit greatly from stygian, as the bases are built onto cliffs, and it really is a good map, but the community loves their front routes so much. Also, players that aren't great at capping, but can set up a route also benefit from this map because you can get in and out of the base and safely away with a 90 m/s flag grab if there's a good LO presence distracting the defense. The map requires a higher level of teamwork, but it can be rewarding to play.

The smaller maps need to be more prevalent in lower server populations (ie: stygian becomes an option 8-18 players) so that we get a break from Nivo and Moonshine because those three maps being all we ever play makes me bored out of my *dancing* mind.

Defender

I just looked at the server function that cycles the next mission or first mission.
It looks a lot like the good old functions found in tribes2.. I think if I had a way to test it on a dedicated server, I could make the function only cycle maps listed on a costom list witch could be set by the server admin.
We had server map scripts for costom map rotation way back in tribes2 mods, basic stuff. ;)

Jaymyster

I don't think this really deals with the issue of having Frost, Nivo and Moonshine dominate the PUBS.

It very well does, my revision makes it possible for 3 more maps to be chosen when 12 or 13 players are present which is VERY likely. When a game ends, is it more probable for players to leave? or is it more probable for players to just randomly join? We both know that it's more likely that people leave. With that said, many games that already contain 14-16 players will more than likely lose a few at most at the end of a game. But little do they know that actually fucks the rest of the server over, because once that population dips under 14, we're back to nivo/frost/moonshine all over again. 6v7? definitely sufficient enough for more maps to be chosen than solely those 3. With a minimum of 12, that should be a significantly decreased issue. Too many times have i seen moonshine/nivo show up as the next map, and i see 12-13 players in the game.(FFFFUUUUUUUUUUU)
Honestly, what needs to happen is give Stygian another chance. New players that want to try chasing will benefit greatly from stygian, as the bases are built onto cliffs, and it really is a good map, but the community loves their front routes so much. Also, players that aren't great at capping, but can set up a route also benefit from this map because you can get in and out of the base and safely away with a 90 m/s flag grab if there's a good LO presence distracting the defense. The map requires a higher level of teamwork, but it can be rewarding to play.

The smaller maps need to be more prevalent in lower server populations (ie: stygian becomes an option 8-18 players) so that we get a break from Nivo and Moonshine because those three maps being all we ever play makes me bored out of my *dancing* mind.

I'm a huge fan of styg myself dawg, although I must say the fatty whoring on it has significantly distanced me from it, not the maps fault, damn fatties. Anyway, I believe it deserves more tendency as well maus, 8 seems a bit too low for a starting minimum (10 seems more plausable, which is why I've now changed it to in 10 in the OP), small servers are supposed to attract others so that the other maps are available and quite frankly, the community's perception of styg is quite iffy, so that wouldn't help much in terms of growing the server. With that said, I'm sure the dev's would be keen to increasing it's weight only so little.

I love it, and I back you on styg, but I'm very positive that the changes I have presented are more imperative to fixing this horrid rotation.

Defender

Having some map vote options like they have in tribes2 would solve a lot of these map issues.
The Devs, have done a great job making this game what it is, they deserve are appreciation and much more. :cool:
I think they can only do so much with the free time they have or resources on thier spare time after working thier regulare 9 to 5 jobs.

To add all the admin options and server options this game needs, will take a lot of clientside and serverside scripting, I would guess.
Lets hope we the players can learn to script or get some help from someone or help from a few old scripters like PJ from tribes.;)

Jaymyster

Having some map vote options like they have in tribes2 would solve a lot of these map issues.
The Devs, have done a great job making this game what it is, they deserve are appreciation and much more. :cool:
I think they can only do so much with the free time they have or resources on thier spare time after working thier regulare 9 to 5 jobs.

To add all the admin options and server options this game needs, will take a lot of clientside and serverside scripting, I would guess.
Lets hope we the players can learn to script or get some help from someone or help from a few old scripters like PJ from tribes.;)

I answered to the notion of voting for a map in a different thread, so ill just quote myself to save the trouble.

The freedom of choice entices many ears in the community. Voting for a map sounds like a good idea for the most part considering it would be based on majority choice. However I am MORE than certain that in time, there WILL be a more noticeable tendency for few select maps that the veterans of the community will whoré. As a result, whenever a slightly more uncommon map is voted on, the veterans in the game will bitch within the first 3 minutes of the game about how the map sucks. (when more than likely it's their aggravation about how they aren't savvy with routes or tactics to be used on the map... or they're just plain rusty on the map) And considering they will be more easily heard due to their veteran-status they, along with the others in the game will leave, resulting in potential for the server population to then dwindle or even die. Which is the initial problem this thread was made to solve in the first place wasn't it? (clear of server population)

It's a nice idea, but let's save it for the future when we have a big enough community to be able to avoid such issues.

Jaymyster

Devs, where are your opinions on this?! I'd like to hear your voice on this please, I've correctly stated the rationale behind the changes I have suggested, and I highly suggest for such changes to be made unless you have a differing opinion. My changes aren't drastic, they will clearly only improve the gaming experience of the servers. I encourage your responses devs considering I've still been in too many games where because the amount of players have dipped below 14 (way too high for only 3 maps to be played...), the rotation of the same 3 maps commence and in turn results in the server population dwindling.

stefygraff

Private Tester
here we go again... lets be honest, the problem with map rotation can only be solved by a vote system, currently its impossible. Face it and play Nivo-Frost or make a server (oh yea, nobody uses the test update that much...)

Jaymyster

here we go again... lets be honest, the problem with map rotation can only be solved by a vote system, currently its impossible. Face it and play Nivo-Frost or make a server (oh yea, nobody uses the test update that much...)

Can you please read what i have already posted above about a vote map system

Why not? And what about sleep walker? Some players like some of these maps...

Ok guys, I believe you're misreading the purpose of this thread in the first place guys. I'm not asking for your queefy unrelated suggestions to the map rotation, but primarily your input on the revisions I have made.

Which brings me to the next subject of relevance.

"Feedback is welcome on this new map rotation, please give your thoughts on the forums. This map rotation will be applied to other servers if players are happy with it."-- Originated from the Legions: Overdrive Blog itself

I appear to be one of the only responses commenting on the subject of the map rotation, I give supporting reasons to the changes I've made, and all I ask for is some feedback in return from the devs; WHEN THEY WERE THE ONES THAT WANTED IT FROM US IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Let me tell you, you guys are doing a hell of a phucking job letting the community know you actually give half a schyte.

GReaper

Grumpy
I appear to be one of the only responses commenting on the subject of the map rotation, I give supporting reasons to the changes I've made, and all I ask for is some feedback in return from the devs; WHEN THEY WERE THE ONES THAT WANTED IT FROM US IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Need more than just one person pushing their views. Get some other people who agree to support what you're saying.

Jaymyster

Need more than just one person pushing their views. Get some other people who agree to support what you're saying.

I assumed such a response would come about. And truthfully this community obviously isn't smart enough to realize what threads are priorities in the suggestion forum section considering we get in a moonshine/frost/nivo circle daily, people bitch about it in-game, yet no action is taken on forums. Instead they like to offer their own ideas about their own schyte (like the responses posted in this thread for example) rather than just correcting what is already obviously wrong. Which is why I have provided the reasons for my changes made. If you guys don't seriously agree with a few of them fine, but for the most part, it should solve the issue of the lack of variation when under 14 players... I point out the issue of having less than 14 players in game because it's true, and you guys can very well see that it is from looking at the rotation the way it is now.

PLEASE RESPOND DEVS

GReaper

Grumpy
Other thing I could do with is actual stats on the number of players on each server and which map is being played, which would take time itself to sort and analyse.

Jaymyster

Other thing I could do with is actual stats on the number of players on each server and which map is being played, which would take time itself to sort and analyse.

As in, you would be able to collect such statistics? If need be, go ahead. But if the time required to gather said stats would be extraneous, please spare us the additional time of having to play with this nivo/frost/moonshine vortex of a rotation.