Just a few more people?

Delpicy

I know this game is still deep in the development process, and we shouldn't advertise it yet, but cant we just do it a weeeittle? Sorry, its just depressing that theres only 1-2 games going on the live server at a time, neither of them ever full. Even less in the public test. In all honesty, to make the game as good as it ought to be, I think we need some more people to come on test it out (I don't want leejunz to die!)

Defender

I don't really fully understand why we don't get more players sticking around, than we have now!
But apparently most People who try this game, just don't like the game, what else could it be?
Its a hard game to get going in, The sking and movement is hard to learn, You just can't do it without spending a good amount of time practicing. Also setting up the movment controls at first, Could be scaring people away, its complicated. Maybe the game speed is just to fast for most newbes, Its a vary fast game, I bet its hard to hit anything for most, if your not use to it.
I guess most free Indie games never really get much success, unfortunatly this game seems to be heading that way.
legends the Game, is a free game like this game, that is also based on tribes. Its been around for 8 years, they just did a huge engine and graphics update, it looks as good as this game, and even better in some ways.
They have 0 players on most of the time. Legends, has support for Linux, and windows. People can make maps for it with the built in editor, or mod it.. Its got an auto-uploader for maps or files hosted on servers. If they can't attract players, with that fee game, what chance does Legions have?

Delpicy

There's definitely a steep learning curve. And in honor of you, I think I shall give Legends a try :). And I know the devs are really hard at work, but I think it would benefit everyone to have have tutorials, ranging from movement controls to positions to example cap routes. It wouldn't even have to be interactive; it could just be a text doc with pictures saying "if you boost up to about yay high, then boost down to hit this hill, you can come down on this hill, giving you a clear shot at the flag." etc. Also there should be something in the game that refers to forums, as I know a few people just registered and never looked at the forums, and were completely baffled by the game. I'd be happy to help in any way, as like I said before, this game shall not die!

Immanent

I don't really fully understand why we don't get more players sticking around, than we have now!
But apparently most People who try this game, just don't like the game, what else could it be?
Its a hard game to get going in, The sking and movement is hard to learn, You just can't do it without spending a good amount of time practicing. Also setting up the movment controls at first, Could be scaring people away, its complicated. Maybe the game speed is just to fast for most newbes, Its a vary fast game, I bet its hard to hit anything for most, if your not use to it.
Because stupid 12 year olds only appreciate games like CoD, Skyrim, and Battlefield. Games which actually require skill are a no-no for them.

Defender

Won't advertise until completion, it just won't happen.
Also Legions looks better than Legends.

The only better looking thing I have seen, are the player models and maybe some weapon models in Legions.
Legends and Legions both run on the Torque game engine, but different versions.
I beleave Legends runs on a newer more updated engine version now.
They just did a huge engine update.
Legends is a much more complete polished game, that supports better graphics, has better looking maps, that have water and trees. They also have vehicle code, turrets, inventory system, and a good admin system.
Basicly the new Legends, is a good replacemet for the old out of date tribes2.
Also you can make maps for legends, put them on your server, players auto-download maps, models, textures from the server. For modders, Legends is an excellent option to make a tribes mod on or any mod on.

Jedired1

i Think there should be a tutorial map

For example on Fallen Empire Legions there was a seperate website which introduced you to legions and told you to use the controls
this would be good for new players

Defender

Unfortunately right now, This game has vary few players, not much of a real community, vary few players willing to help promote it or make tutorials for it.
There are basically no legions fan sites, its sort of hopeless right now.
I heard they plan to have this game added to steam or what ever in the future, maybe that will help.

Xtreme

shaska's bff
it's not so much about the effort you have to make in the long run to play the game as it is about first impressions. if you think about it really, you're only motivated to keep playing a game if you like what you see (i don't mean graphics necessarily). ease of access (i.e. simplicity and coherence), community (i.e. general atmosphere in servers and forums) and smooth gameplay (i.e. tutorials, setup of controls, interface, content etc) are all part of making a good first impression. legions is lacking (albeit to various degrees) in all of those respects. so to answer your question, just wait it out

Armageddon

Teapot
I keep bringing people in, 5 new players this week. All we have right now is word of mouth.

Trying to advertise the game as it stands now will only hurt it. It's like this:

Guy 1 Invents car.
Guy 2 = Guy 1's Buddy.

G1: Hey man check this out, i call it a car.
G2: Cool, but its just a plank with four wheels.
G1: Well yeah but it's not done yet, it's going to have all this cool *chocolate cookies* on it and bluetooth and *chocolate cookies*... you'll see
G2: Yea.. well i'll stick with my horse....

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
Tried getting all my friends into it... 'HaxX' played for a while then got bored. Which is fair enough.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
I keep bringing people in, 5 new players this week. All we have right now is word of mouth.

Trying to advertise the game as it stands now will only hurt it. It's like this:

Guy 1 Invents car.
Guy 2 = Guy 1's Buddy.

G1: Hey man check this out, i call it a car.
G2: Cool, but its just a plank with four wheels.
G1: Well yeah but it's not done yet, it's going to have all this cool *chocolate cookies* on it and bluetooth and *chocolate cookies*... you'll see
G2: Yea.. well i'll stick with my horse....

Basically this. If it makes you guys feel better, there are 'internal milestones', that, when met, would probably be a good time to start advertising this game. As for the type of advertising, well, there's a few options that are being looked at, and Seymour imagines that the hardcore Legionnaires will likely be a part of making the advertising a success.

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
Basically this. If it makes you guys feel better, there are 'internal milestones', that, when met, would probably be a good time to start advertising this game. As for the type of advertising, well, there's a few options that are being looked at, and Seymour imagines that the hardcore Legionnaires will likely be a part of making the advertising a success.
Jordan: Advertising Liason in charge of Marketing and Research.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
i Think there should be a tutorial map

For example on Fallen Empire Legions there was a seperate website which introduced you to legions and told you to use the controls
this would be good for new players
Badlands (one of the community maps) would be great for an intro to skiing. Also, I think that somebody with power on the forums should find all the tutorials people have written up (weapons guides, of which I have written one, etc.) and group them together in some way, and then a link can be provided in the Launcher to "Tutorials and Guides" or something that has written weapons guides, and video tutorials on Skiing, and a basic rundown of CTF in a game like Legions, because CTF is way different from more common games like Halo, where its simply a process of fighting into the flag room, grabbing it, and fighting your way back.