I think we have a good number of maps now, yes?

DOS4/GW

I haven't done an exact count, but I think it's safe to say that we've got a sufficient amount of maps these days, at least for the game modes that are available. I'd say it's around the same amount of maps that were available within any of the Tribes games, if not more.

What do you guys think? Could we do with more? Less?

Note: I would ask that you not use this thread for excessive commenting on the quality of specific maps or anything unrelated; there are plenty of other threads available for such things.

Abandoned

Hmm...
Nivosus, Frostbyte, Moonshine, Forgotten, Fallout, Stygian, Elegiac, Sleepwalker, BladeRun, ZenithCauldron, Gorge, TheCore and Mirage.
How many is that? 13.
Only 13.
THERE CAN NEVER BE ENOUGH MAPS!

But to be realistic here, most of the maps on the list aren't always up. 6 players are needed to start off a game. Then further 25 mins have to be waited out, or try speed capping to finish the round quicker. But the next map might not be the one you wanted. I'm talking about PUBs here.

That's about it I guess. Edited many times.
Thanks Vinzy for telling me TheCore.

yes i think that we have a good number of maps for the time being but never enough

The Core. It's 13 now.
you mean query

I think if they keep making more, they might scrap the ones they don't like
why would they scrap the ones they don't like, if anyone of you don't like a map i don't care about your opinion
if you noticed that 50 people voted for query to be returned that means 50 people would play it if it's online, you think 50 people is a low number!
i like gorge and query but lots of people don't so what
and i hate mirage if it have a lower number than 20 players so what
and if the devs think of removing query i would bring it back and the new core (with the lava river) because i have a back up of Fallen Empire:Legions, don't ask why

Disci

Old man
Any Tribes game has *chocolate cookies* loads of more maps than Legions. Quality of the maps IS the reason why I want more good maps.

MJ1284

Hmm...
Nivosus, Frostbyte, Moonshine, Forgotten, Fallout, Stygian, Elegiac, Sleepwalker, BladeRun, ZenithCauldron, Gorge, TheCore and Mirage.
How many is that? 12.
Only 12.
THERE CAN NEVER BE ENOUGH MAPS!
I'm pretty sure these maps will be either heavily altered or scrapped as game development progresses, Nivo & Llamashine have been around since early '08 and were designed around physics game had back then:

Back on topic: even though Legions map count FINALLY hit double digits (sure took it's time) 12 maps is "decent" rather than "good" number of maps. 15-20 good maps would suffice to full release IMO.

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
yes i think that we have a good number of maps for the time being but never enough
you mean query

wait.... what? why are you calling it query?

and more maps would be nice, but there needs to be system that will rotate the maps evenly, as well as rotating the map if no one goes on the server for ~20mins

Application-1

test bester
Good maps: Fallout, Stygian, Frostbyte (even frostbyte can use some improvement), Core.
No we do not got enough GOOD maps.

13 would be enough, if they were all good. It would be better to replace bad maps with good, new maps, then to overload the rotations with a variety of good and bad maps.

GReaper

Grumpy
More maps are needed, it's only by trying new things that we find out which maps are successful and which maps are flawed. The more unique maps we push out the more chance we've got of finding a great map which everyone loves.

It's something which is being done alongside of gameplay changes, so don't panic if you think we're just going to release maps forever.

phanakapan

Private Tester
Tribes 1 had hundreds of maps and numerous variations of each dependent on game type. Out of those hundred, maybe 20-25 were actually playable, and only maybe 7 were really fun in 10 v 10 CTF (Raindance, Snowblind, Dangerous Crossing, Stonehenge, Rollercoaster, Hildebrant, Canyon Crusade) Some of these were default maps that came with the game, but they were all modified over time as game play changed. Right now I would say Zenith, Frostbyte, and Fallout are solid maps without a doubt and cater to slightly different play styles. I really like Stygian, but I haven't played a pickup on it yet so I don't really know if it needs any changes. Gorge is alright, but the oob grid is too close to the bases. I feel squished every time I play that map. Could use some smoothing in certain places as well. Core and Mirage have a lot of potential (seriously lots), but need some terrain smoothing and base changes to really become great. Blade run is a beast of its own, and if the terrain was just varied a bit from the long flat plains and the bases moved closer together, i think it would become a really great map. Forgotten has really awesome terrain and the bases are neat, but the giant half pipe in the middle really gimps the game play of that map. Nivo and moonshine are just too small for how fast the game has become to really be fun. they end up playing completely linearly and chasing is basically nonexistant unless a capper messes up or you get a lucky half map splash kill. I have yet to play ctf on elegiac or sleepwalker.

granted this is all my opinion. take it for what you will.

Apcizzle

my opinion is that you cant have enough maps... each map brings out different game plays. Yes there is a few bad maps. but you don't know that until you try.

I say keep pumping out maps as long as you keep working on gameplay issues and adding content - which greaper confirms. I for one love the fact maps are getting push out daily it seems like :)

RainPilot

stinky bear
Honestly, I don't really care for new maps.

When I first played gorge, I was pretty impressed and excited because it appeared to be an awesome map. After several games, my opinion of it changed. The same thing happened with sleepwalker, stygian, and fallout. Sure they look amazing, but after several games... I just wanted to go back to the simple and intense maps, Frostbyte and Nivosus. They are the best maps in the game in my opinion and I don't really care for any more maps.

What I look for in a new map is something similar to Frostbyte and Nivosus: The intensity, the simplicity, the ability of complex routes and so forth. I think it's safe to say that no new map can win my heart, unless they have the same qualities as Frostbyte and Nivosus.

Don't get me wrong, all of the new maps are fun and look really cool, but that only lasts a few games. I can play the same map for years and not get bored, but I guess that's me. In no way am I trying to say that the developers are horrible mappers (quite the opposite), I am just saying that me and Frostbyte will always be together. I don't mind if you guys make maps, just make sure that you can pump out some cool stuff here and there after a multitude of map releases. It's not my decision either so don't mind me.

Keep up the good work, it lets us know you guys are hard at work and serving the community.

Unknown

Private Tester
Quality over quantity, any day.

We might have 13 maps, but out of those I like (as a capper) frost, niv, zenith, fallout. I guess I haven't seriously tried any of the new maps (sleepwalker, stygian, elegiac), but for me the game would be more enjoyable without having to suffer through 10+ bad maps to get to play one that I actually like.

Maps that are bad either need to actually be fixed, or removed.