Futuristic HuD V. 1

skypredator

True, but you know what I mean. ;)

I wanted a clean view. No bars, no ret. Just an overall view of the changes.
Okay, I lied. Partially. I haven't settled on health and energy bars I like yet, but I will soon.

I'm thinking of adding a small, working altimeter in the lower left corner. Too obstructive or not?

Also, is there any way I could add a slight, random flicker to one or two components at any given time? Primarily when you take a direct rocket, grenade, bolt, mortar, etc. Ideas?

[Edit]: The speedometer will be in the center of the dark(er) circle located in the top-left corner.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Until legions gets unlocked, I'm pretty dang sure you can't have an altimeter. Though I can pretty much guarantee the first mod I'll make when Legions gets unlocked is an altimeter and rangefinder (discounting LTS of course ;) )

skypredator

:eek: That sounds awesome. Especially the range finder. I wonder if I could work out a "Fall damage" measure bar to go with the altimeter, something to tell me how much my health will go down by if I just stopped skiing and fell.

Oh, Arch, this isn't the real-time size. The actual thing's rather small. :p Keep in mind also that this is the prototype. Many more changes to come.

OG_Gutta

This is awesome! I cant wait to see the final version if this is only the prototype! If you want to give it more of a futurist feel, then you might want to brighten up the colors a little bit. Bright colors are the future :) Neon colors would be cool.

skypredator

Thanks! :D Hopefully, once (and if) Legions gets unlocked, when (and if) Voltz makes an altimeter, I'ma steal that and slap it on there. Basically, what I'm gunning for here is an HuD that tells you everything you need to know. I'd even go for a rear-view utility. This needs depth - a 3D, interactive feel. Voltz said he might make a rangefinder someday. THat would be amazing as a separate key-bound utility.

I've been thinking about brighter colors, yeah, but I didn't want them to be too obstructive. I was kinda hoping to make an animated HuD, but that's practically impossibly with Legions. :( Keep in mind this prototype is basically the bare bones of the finished product. I need ideas to keep it schnazzy and original, but un-obstructive at the same time. If you've got any ideas or suggestions, feel free to PM me.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Thanks! :D Hopefully, once (and if) Legions gets unlocked, when (and if) Voltz makes an altimeter, I'ma steal that and slap it on there. Basically, what I'm gunning for here is an HuD that tells you everything you need to know. I'd even go for a rear-view utility. This needs depth - a 3D, interactive feel. Voltz said he might make a rangefinder someday. THat would be amazing as a separate key-bound utility.

I've been thinking about brighter colors, yeah, but I didn't want them to be too obstructive. I was kinda hoping to make an animated HuD, but that's practically impossibly with Legions. :( Keep in mind this prototype is basically the bare bones of the finished product. I need ideas to keep it schnazzy and original, but un-obstructive at the same time. If you've got any ideas or suggestions, feel free to PM me.
Volt Cruelerz !=Voltz
Volt Cruelerz != Voltage
:mad:

Now that that's out the of way...

The rangefinder would be something exclusive to the LR because of it's damage dropoff. The other weapons simply don't need it (that, and if you carry things much farther, you'll end up creating an aimbot).

And actually, animated HUDs aren't impossible now so far as I know. You can use gif files for animation. We are for LTS. Gifs can run in Legions, it's just that the file types for the standard HUD elements don't require it. If you were to exchange the default images with specialized ones and made a script that brought up your own gif files instead, you could have one :)

EDIT: 3lionz has a guide to modding which is going to get overhauled after we finish LTS with all the stuff we've learned as a result of doing it. If you have difficulty until then, I'm sure the update(s) will help you a lot. We've done soooo much stuff in that mod lol. So far as I can tell though, it's as simple as creating a new picturebox and then giving it the file address and name. Depending on their internal code, gifs can either loop or not, so just pick what you want when creating it and it'll work.
Happy coding :)

RockeyRex

Legions Developer
Altitude is obtainable client side... I just can't remember where I got it from though... (From terrain that is)

skypredator

Ah, really? Interesting. I already made those, somewhat. Only problem is that .GIF's don't have a smooth animation. Rather jumpy. This makes me happy, though. :) And sorry about your name. Is Volt alright? =P

Not sure if that's sarcasm, Krakyn, but thanks anyways. GIMP, by the way. This is a view of third person zoom. As in, a raw screenie cut. No editing involved. Thus, it's a working mod, much to my joy. And yes, everyone, I modded my visuals to look like the uber schmexay graphics from some youtube video someone made as a Leejunz trailer. I just had to have those graphics. ;)

Sadly, I can't afford Photoshop. if I could, I'd rather have Paintshop CS5. That stuff's rather useful.

Right, from terrain is what I wanted. PM me info?

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Altitude is obtainable client side... I just can't remember where I got it from though... (From terrain that is)

Well, I mean, I suppose it's theoretically possible client-side since the data is sent to you, but I don't know of any method that will print it out without intercepting it before it's drawn... If you say it's possible though, so be it :)

And yes, Volt is fine lol. Also, I was just using gifs as an example. You could probably do just about any animated image type that you want. I know nothing about animating things and we're using gifs, so I said that :p

skypredator

Well, he IS Rockey. I wonder if the mighty RR would mind coding that for me...? If I gave him a cookie? :D

Mmk, I'll keep that in mind. :) Riiiight... I'm gonna try an .apng.

Also, upcoming plans!
1. Create class selector and scoreboard a part of the HuD that may be brought up by means of a keystroke.
2. Both the class selector and scoreboard will be made transparent and made to match the overall HuD theme.

Arch

Legions Developer
Only problem is that .GIF's don't have a smooth animation.

Sadly, I can't afford Photoshop. if I could, I'd rather have Paintshop CS5. That stuff's rather useful.
1) Are GIF images even usable?
2) They will have a smooth animation if you make them have a smooth animation. Meaning, the more layers you have, the smoother the animation will end up.

Also, upcoming plans!
1. Create class selector and scoreboard a part of the HuD that may be brought up by means of a keystroke.
2. Both the class selector and scoreboard will be made transparent and made to match the overall HuD theme.
You can skin the bg and style of the default scoreboard and class selector through profiles. I did it a little while ago while messing around with the files.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
So... Why aren't you just using the standard one?

1) Are GIF images even usable?
2) They will have a smooth animation if you make them have a smooth animation. Meaning, the more layers you have, the smoother the animation will end up.
Yeah... We've used them... The Fallen Development logo is a gif and I've stuck it in the mod. The animation works just fine.

Arch

Legions Developer
So... Why aren't you just using the standard one?

Yeah... We've used them... The Fallen Development logo is a gif and I've stuck it in the mod. The animation works just fine.
Wow, never realized that.

Mmm, I know that Arch. But I don't have the patience to slowly rotate the image one degree at a time. x_x
Then you shouldn't say that they have a jumpy animation but rather that you don't want put some effort into making the animation smooth. Also, Photoshop has a better animation interface and setup than Gimp. Gimp is just a bunch of layers while PS changes your layer into a timeline and lets you manipulate the image on the timeline.