Come Poke Some Holes In My Legalese!

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Over the past several years, I've been attempting to write a science fiction novel. The realization I've come to over the past few weeks is that I am not skilled enough to write a novel for my world. What I have done, however, is create what I believe is a very fertile world in which others more skilled than I can write stories. Think of it like this, I'm not skilled enough to write the Fellowship of the Ring, but I am skilled enough to create a universe in which compelling stories can be told. What I've done is more akin to creating the Harry Potter, LotR, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc universe than any particular story told within them.

I plan to release all documentation on the world I've created (which quite honestly resembles a history book) in a couple weeks along with the following license.

Please poke any holes in it you can and let me know so I can fix them.

Attachments

• License.txt
    3.1 KB · Views: 27

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Seymour's looking forward to a fictional world to base all of the Poponfu and Jordahan erotic fan fiction stories he's been dreaming about. It's one thing to write about their sordid lovemaking taking place on boring old earth, but to write about their sordid lovemaking within a science fiction inspired future world - the possibilities are endless!

Xzanth

Legions Developer
Well, to me a fair amount of this seems either unenforceable or redundant, but hey I'm not a lawyer, and I wouldn't trust anyone but a lawyer to properly judge (or write) a license agreement, so feel free to ignore my advice. The stuff that jumped out at me:
Michael Greene reserves all access to "Volt Cruelerz," "VoltCruelerz," "Volt_Cruelerz," "Voltaire Cruelerz," and other similar user names, pseudonyms, and nicknames. He does not reserve for himself usernames such as "Voltage," "Volt," "Voltaire," "Ben Cruelerz," and "Nicholas Tesla."
He wishes to be able to continue using Volt Cruelerz as his global user name online without fear of others claiming the user name for themselves.
Huh? Are you saying that I'm not allowed to use the name "Volt Cruelerz"? Because of this fictional documentation you're releasing I'm never allowed to use that name now? Unless "Volt Cruelerz" is a trademark of yours you do not have the rights to restrict my use of it, names are not covered by copyright.
Those terms and names mentioned as headings in the assorted documents in this package are reserved.
What? Do you mean to say the rights are reserved? I have yet to see them, but unless they are very unique I'd guess that you probably don't have any rights to them anyway. Plus the exceptions are so vague and encompassing that they probably make any rights you did have redundant.
writing a book generally unrelated to Legacy in which one character attempts to describe the personality of another by saying "He's a bit like a Storm" would be perfectly acceptable.
Thank god you're allowing me to compare characters to weather formations.
This license overrides all other rights claims made by Michael Greene within the package.
Ok I just plain don't understand this part.
Above all else, common sense should be applied.
Being really vague is generally not a good thing for a license I would say.
Any future updates to this license that Michael Greene (or another to whom he has provided written consent to do so) performs apply retroactively to all packages that have already been distributed.
lol

Personally writing your own license without proper legal counsel just seems like a plain bad idea, I would strongly recommend you go for something that is safe and well known, such as a CC license, of which the cc-by-nc-sa seems the most like what you're looking for but do look at the others.
Look forward to reading whatever you release. :)

Last edited:

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
better-call-saul.jpg

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
Seymour's looking forward to a fictional world to base all of the Poponfu and Jordahan erotic fan fiction stories he's been dreaming about. It's one thing to write about their sordid lovemaking taking place on boring old earth, but to write about their sordid lovemaking within a science fiction inspired future world - the possibilities are endless!
Don't act like you didn't know I already made sweet, gentle, manly love to Poponfu.