Best mistake ever!

Stubbsy

Contributor
Want to hear it?
I overwrote my Windows OS with Ubuntu. Just don't even ask me why. I just felt like I wanted to see something new, because I was seeing the same old things in Windows.

Installing things on this bad boy seems to be impossible, and it's absolute funcking crazy just to do the most basic things. I mean, what's this Sudo crap? It can Sudo off from me! I love the layout, and everything else but I've personally never used Ubuntu and it looks like it's not beginner friendly.

The whole point of this thread is to ask:
Should I immediately change back, or could I get used to how things work in Ubuntu 14.04? I just miss being able to install programs easily, but on this seems to be impossible.

--Changed my mind. I'm loving Ubuntu at the minute!--

Last edited:

SNAKEOPS

Windows OS or UBunutu?

36518690.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2014-5-10_10-3-5.jpeg
    upload_2014-5-10_10-3-5.jpeg
    4.8 KB · Views: 2

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
So you can slowly get used to the linux way of doing things without being without a Operating System you aren't familiar with.

I'd say give Ubuntu a chance. You'll learn a lot. Sudo is like the linux version of 'do you want to run this as administrator'.

Installing packages - sudo apt-get install <package_name>

Remove a package - sudo apt-get remove <package_name>

Search for a package - sudo apt-cache search <search_term>

List installed packages - sudo dpkg -l

Install .deb binary - sudo dpkg -i path/to/file.deb

Help with commands/packages - man <command/package>

Google is your friend.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
What's the point having 'both'?

If you're asking this question you clearly didn't read what is on Ubuntu's website.

However, I shall enlighten you. Ubuntu is a linux distribution, and like most linix distro's it is freeware. There are lots of different distro's designed to do different things but Ubuntu's main goal is to actually be an alternative to windows in terms of general user tasks (web browsing, entertainment, etc). The only difference is that is offered for free instead of windows which you have to pay for a licence to use it legally. This is perfect if you build a custom PC and don't want to buy windows. (You should have noticed while installing Ubuntu it was pretty easy.)

Now Ubuntu is the most 'mainstream' of distro's so this is why you probably installed it. Now to answer some of your more specific questions:

Want to hear it?
I overwrote my Windows OS with Ubuntu. Just don't even ask me why. I just felt like I wanted to see something new, because I was seeing the same old things in Windows.

First things first, the Ubuntu installer actually says to you that you are overwritting windows when you select that option so you have no one else to blame for this. Second, you would have installed it via USB or LiveCD which gives you the option to boot into a portable installion of the distro without actually installing it on your system so you could have seen if you liked it or not. Thirdly, it says all of this information on the Ubuntu website where you downloaded it from. This brings me on to my next point:

READ AND RESEARCH WHAT YOU ARE ATTEMPTING TO DO BEFORE DOING IT.

Installing things on this bad boy seems to be impossible, and it's absolute funcking crazy just to do the most basic things. I mean, what's this Sudo crap? It can Sudo off from me! I love the layout, and everything else but I've personally never used Ubuntu and it looks like it's not beginner friendly.

You're probably using the terminal to install packages, but IIRC there is a program that will allow you to search and install programs via a GUI. It's similar to the google play store on Android.

You have to type 'Sudo' before the actual command you want to do to elevate your user account privileges (Think admin in windows but temporarily) It prevents any unauthorized admin commands from being executed.

Should I immediately change back, or could I get used to how things work in Ubuntu 14.04?

I'd try it some more or try another linux distro all together, I recommend Arch Linux, there you will understand what you can do with linux - anything you want to. Also remember linux is generally more secure than windows as there's not a whole lot of people writing malicious software for linux (and the fact you have complete control over your system)

I just miss being able to install programs easily, but on this seems to be impossible.

No it's not, use your brain and start research what you are trying to do using google.

Last edited:

Stubbsy

Contributor
If you're asking this question you clearly didn't read what is on Ubuntu's website.

However, I shall enlighten you. Ubuntu is a linux distribution, and like most linix distro's it is freeware. There are lots of different distro's designed to do different things but Ubuntu's main goal is to actually be an alternative to windows in terms of general user tasks (web browsing, entertainment, etc). The only difference is that is offered for free instead of windows which you have to pay for a licence to use it legally. This is perfect if you build a custom PC and don't want to buy windows. (You should have noticed while installing Ubuntu it was pretty easy.)

Now Ubuntu is the most 'mainstream' of distro's so this is why you probably installed it. Now to answer some of your more specific questions:

First things first, the Ubuntu installer actually says to you that you are overwritting windows when you select that option so you have no one else to blame for this. Second, you would have installed it via USB or LiveCD which gives you the option to boot into a portable installion of the distro without actually installing it on your system so you could have seen if you liked it or not. Thirdly, it says all of this information on the Ubuntu website where you downloaded it from. This brings me on to my next point:

READ AND RESEARCH WHAT YOU ARE ATTEMPTING TO DO BEFORE DOING IT.

You're probably using the terminal to install packages, but IIRC there is a program that will allow you to search and install programs via a GUI. It's similar to the google play store on Android.

You have to type 'Sudo' before the actual command you want to do to elevate your user account privileges (Think admin in windows but temporarily) It prevents any unauthorized admin commands from being executed.

I'd try it some more or try another linux distro all together, I recommend Arch Linux, there you will understand what you can do with linux - anything you want to. Also remember linux is generally more secure than windows as there's not a whole lot of people writing malicious software for linux (and the fact you have complete control over your system)

No it's not, use your brain and start research what you are trying to do using google.
I was fully aware I overwrote my OS, and I did try it out on the site. However, I thought I may probably get the hang of installing simple things like Skype. When I finally did, it gives me about 5 errors each time. Try restarting the program, still the same thing. I mean, it took me all day to figure out why my wireless driver wasn't working. Looking all over the web and it was telling me to type so much stuff in the terminal it was unreal. At the moment I'm trying to use UNetBootin. When I insert my Flash Drive, Ubuntu reads it fine with all the files. Then I use another program, and it doesn't even detect it. I've tried several different programs and still no look. I'm now trying to figure out the problem by looking on the Internet, and someone is telling me to do one thing, then another person is telling me to do the other.

Honestly, I'm not going overboard. But everything I've tried to do has messed up, and I mean messed up. I'm not that person who doesn't know much about OS, but my mind is boggled with this one.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Your main source of help should always be documentation first. If you're looking for answer to a specific problem try #ubuntu / #linux on irc.freenode.org. Those channels are pretty good at helping beginners.