Your top 10 legions maps.

Krakyn

thats why it topped my list, shes a beaut.

ps. its gigantic as *dance* btw. the rocks by the flag were a nice touch though. ive not skeed around it for a while but its fun to just mess around in. sry i dont have the file its on my other pc which is sitting upstairs in the attic

SNAKEOPS

misty mountain was so big it really required vehicles of some sort

Doesn't anyone agree that maps need to get bigger over time?

Over time as Legions Community's overall skill grows, people are able to play faster, aim better, and shoot further more accurately.

Literally, it's come to a point where Legions snipers are sniping base to base in Frostbyte (Annoying Jiang), people are capping faster than ever, and even people can go base to base without touching the ground.

Fixious

Test Lead
it's come to a point where Legions snipers are sniping base to base

There's a reason I don't play anymore...

Anyways, the problem is that only a few select people are capping 'faster than ever', and that number is shrinking. If something like Blade Run were to pop up and no decent cappers were around, it'd be a pretty crappy time. Hell even Zenith isn't fun when it's full of crappy cappers.

Over the last year or so, perhaps more, I’ve come to realize that people are more interested in dueling within any given game of Legions than actually engaging in useful flag play, capping, or any kind of teamwork at all. A large part of this can simply be explained by saying they’re public matches, and one shouldn’t expect any kind of teamwork. But when I compare how people playing in Legions to those who still play Starsiege: Tribes (specifically LT), the amount of actual teamwork in Tribes more than doubles that found in Legions. Both are played by those who have been playing for years and know what it takes to win a game, yet in Tribes it just feels much more professional and competitive, even for pubs.

If you hop into a game of Legions it won’t be long before you see two players going at it off in the distance, dueling one another for no apparent reason whatsoever. Neither are trying to protect a flag or accomplish anything other than increase their ranking on the scoreboard. When servers start to die down late into the night it’s pretty common for players on the same team to essentially turn it into a free for all. For those coming in expecting to enjoy a game of CTF, the existing players generally ruin that experience for him. I’ve been that person many times before. I've gone into somewhat small games with roughly 10 players on the server, expecting to play CTF but instead find my entire team dueling one another.

I suppose a big reason for this is because dueling in Legions is fun, or so I’m told. I’ve never had any interest in it, and prefer to spend my time on a route and capturing the objective rather than going one-on-one with another player. The only time I actively engage another player is usually to distract for an incoming capper, kill the enemy capper, or focus on a sniper. Each of these has an overall goal that helps my team as a whole. Clearing the stand helps my capper grab the flag safely, killing the enemy capper obviously means I’ll have control over our flag and can return it when needed, and focusing on the sniper means he’s distracted and can’t damage anyone else on my team. I’m not actively engaging a random enemy just for the sake of killing them. If I wanted to do that I would join a server dedicated to doing so, not a CTF server. This is something I wish more players in Legions did, even if the player base can’t really afford it.

Recently I’ve started to chase enemy cappers instead of capping myself, mainly because I wanted to see how well the Skybolt really is. I’d seen it used very rarely, but those who did knew how to use it. It took me a while to get a feel for it, but it eventually became one of my favorite weapons in the game. Mid-airing players 500-600 meters out feels very rewarding, even if it doesn’t outright kill them. A lot of the time it’s just enough to mess up their landing, sometimes causing them to crater. While fun, it opened up my eyes to something very wrong within Legions right now, and something that was pointed out quite a while ago but has only become apparent to me recently. By switching my role from capper to chase, it really shows just how few cappers there really are in this game, and how many are dedicated to dueling instead.

Watching players run archaic OD routes that are extremely easy to chase, or watching them fly straight into the air after grabbing the flag and making themselves easy targets to everyone, or perform horrible front-to-back routes and then sit in the back of the map to wait for their health to regenerate shows just how little people experiment with routes and cores. Seeing enemy cappers do front routes equipped with the Boost core is almost laughable. I’m not trying to sound like I was some guru when it came to capping, but I at least threw in some Warp routes when it became obvious that the enemy had increased their defenses, or focused on fast side-routes on the maps that encouraged them.

No one practices routes anymore, or even really tries to improve themselves. One of the most frustrating aspects of the game is when you actually do have a good capper or two on your team, and you see them setup their route that’s guaranteed to get them out with the flag and back home, only to see another player grab the flag instead on a route that almost never works for them. This isn’t really related to players preferring to duel than cap, but the amount of even decent cappers in this game is terribly low.

Another thing that might factor into dueling taking over Legions is the fact that the game encourages it. When you have a core like Dodge in the game, its only useful purpose is during close-quarter battles. No one ever uses it for capping anymore because it was changed to kill your speed upon activation, something I wasn’t for or agreed with but happened anyways. Capping with the Shield core almost became the standard at one point because of how powerful it was, and easily propelled players over 300m/s until the nerf, which was admittedly needed but no one really uses Shield at all anymore. Now we’ve got another core coming out that’s being tailor made, at least from what I can tell, for dueling. It has zero use for cappers, and I really can’t see it being useful for removing heavies off the flag. It looks and functions cool, but it’s going to further separate the game from being centered around CTF and flag play and more about those one-on-one engagements.

One of the reasons why I was and still am (somewhat) excited about the Engineer core making its way into Legions is because it gives those not good at capping something useful to do. Lay down some defensive turrets, deploy an ammo or healpad near your base. Go out and deploy a few sensors to detect enemy players. Setup a teleport from your base to the enemy’s. Go on the offense with a mortar and destroy the enemy’s defenses. Instead of dueling, you can actually do something useful for once. Unfortunately the Engineer core was put on hold indefinitely, so I’m not sure if anything I just said will ever happen.

Dueling has a purpose in Legions, namely to clear for your capper or defend against those trying to do the same against your team. It should not be the only thing players are interested in doing. That isn’t Legions. That isn’t the game I enjoy(ed). If dueling becomes the unfortunate default game mode for everyone, there will be one less person for them to target.

Last edited:

KrO

make a game more simple, less weapons, less core. Call lary page or Wang Lee Hom tell them legion overdrive is a fantastic game.

SkyCapz

I also believe sticking to the bare essentials would have been really nice...

I mean adding these new weapons are cool, but sticking old school would have been fine as well. I'm kinda sad no one plays on Nivous, one of the be- the best map on legions. Dueling is fun and all, but playing the game mode seems more entertaining.

Maybe you guys should add an events team in Fallen Legions? Make up some events for the game, so people can join on a set date? I mean you guys work hard, but if no one new is joining it's a bummer.