Why Tribes?

NYPD219

I can only speak for myself.

Tribes was not just the parent, it was the groundbreaker for Z axis gaming.

Tribes was the only video game where I came home to practice it like a SPORT, with my competitive team. We competed on TWL and we were number one for a long time. -=ICE=-

Anyway, with SO many load out options, base assets, kit combos, and defense and offense roles, you needed to practice it to compete just like you would practice an instrument or practice playing baseball with a TEAM.

I know for one, many of the new gamers here, or gamers new to the Z axis genera never played Tribes. You don't know what you missed.

Legions is as close to tribes gameplay that any game has come, and I don;t mean they copied it either. They UPGRADED it, in both form and function.

Many of the suggestions we make, are just because of that. We want to see the old community back, with the same diversity.

Tribes 2 was my favorite game ever, hands down, bar none.

I'm all for bringing Legions into the park with Tribes, and all for seeing it advance the genera.

oh and yes...a little community and free game like this one can ressurect and evolve the z axis genera if you keep up the passion I see here.

:D

theGOAT

They both are great games, the only similarity is the skiing sa gundam said but in legions is way cooler and faster, and much more skilled is required

dienasty

I didn't get to play Legions too much , but to myself, it was kind of bland. (like tribes LT).
Would I like to see Legions as a graphically updated Tribes... kinda. (I understand the' if you liked tribes go play tribes'; to a degree). which is why I'd love to see it take tribes to the next step.

Another Free game 'Legends' tried to show up T2 by remaking tribes w/ the new engine (its failure, besides graphics, was that it didn't offer anything new).

And as it's been said, no other game has really captured tribes vibe. Just putting a jetpack in the game doesn't make it 'tribes' (most are just standard run & gun games, w/ a higher 'jump').

Even the new Tribes Universe, doesn't sound promising. (as they want to make a MMO persisent world.. ie planetside)

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
I've never actually played tribes, though I do have a comment to make in that regard... Legions has been called the spiritual successor to tribes. That means that we should learn from it. Tribes had good things and bad things. Though Legions is different, it should be noted that the only past indicator of ideas is their integration into tribes.

I think obviously that new things should be integrated (otherwise I wouldn't post stuff here), but there are, I am sure, certain things that would work well to carry over.

Legions is Legions and Tribes is Tribes, but Tribes->Legions. Legions grew from Tribes and shouldn't denounce its ancestry. People may use past experience to use as a measure, but they should not attempt to make Fallen Tribes. If stuff worked in Tribes, look at it realistically in Legions and if it would work, I'd say tell someone about it. We shouldn't limit ourself to either new ideas and forget the past judgments of those who acted before us, nor should we neglect to move forward.

Outlawl

Macabre
Tribes 2 alone had over 1 million copies sold. So how could Tribes not have been a success?

I'm just wondering, can you cite this anywhere? I just looked on google for any statistics regarding tribes' units sold-amount but the only thing I found was this, a statement issued by some employee at Vivendi " As a comparision, the original Tribes sold 210,000 and Tribes 2 sold 400,000."

I was trying to figure out which subforum to post this topic in, and while it isn't a suggestion, it is relevant to a lot of the suggestions on this subforum already, so I've decided to put this here. If you have a problem with it, whatever.

The question I have for all you people who have played tribes and want to bring new things to Legions is the following. Why does a lot of the suggestions you have for Legions have its roots in Tribes? I get the Legions is based off of tribes with the mobility, and since I haven't played tribes, I don't know much else except for what I've heard. I've heard the Legions is flat and repetitive compared to Tribes, and I couldn't disagree with that. Legions is in need for new things to happen with it. However, most of the new suggestions come from Tribes. What game are we making here? Legions: Overdrive, or Fallen Empire: Tribes? Legions deserves to be improved, but it should take a different path than its parent. If you like to see Tribes aspects in a game, then that is what Tribes is for. The suggestion I am making to all of the community (okay, so there IS a suggestion in here) is to think outside of the Tribes box. I'm as much for new ideas, but they shouldn't be derived from the parent. Instead, when thinking of new gameplay features such as base defense extras, deployables, and the suchlike, don't just go with the thought process of "What I liked in Tribes and would LOVE to see in Legions is..." Sit down and think of something new, because what you've seen in Tribes has Already been done. This game, since its being developed with suggestions from the community taken in mind, has many new directions it could take, and since that is the case, why should we travel the path previously traveled? Our imaginations, should they be used, are the guiding forces, not just a "copy/paste, then edit to fit legions" approach. We have the opportunity to makes something new and different and we should grab that idea by the horns, so I'm asking for you all to, the next time you think of something, ask yourselves "Was this done in Tribes, and I just want to recreate it in Legions?" There have been some great ideas that have come up that weren't used in Tribes for the best of my knowledge (weapons tethers, for example.) Dare to create some fresh new idea and then test it on the servers. It may not work, but you tried something more new than some of the posts already. These are my two cents and my recommendations on this subforum.
I think that when people try to make a game better, they will automatically look at previous games. There have also been suggestions who refered to games such as halo, quake,... The fact that a lot of suggestions are referring to tribes just means that the concept of both legions and tribes are the same.If there is something in tribes that would perfectly work in legions, why not discuss it? Besides there are quite a lot of tribes veterans in the legions community, i think we should respect their voces. You have to know that this game is originally made as a tribute to tribes.
I think there will still be a big difference between Tribes and Legions. The speed and overdrive we know from legions was never in tribes (well there was the speed, but not as much as in legions).

I agree on the fact that this game calls legions and not tribes, but suggestions on the game should not be ignored just because it's something from tribes.

Crisis12096

The child takes genes some genes from the parent. Not ALL of them.
Allow legions to expand on it's own but allow Tribes to push it forward.

Also, I see tons and tons of suggestions, not all of them are exactly from tribes and some aren't related whatsoever.

I do see your point though.

Siantlark

I've never actually played tribes, though I do have a comment to make in that regard... Legions has been called the spiritual successor to tribes. That means that we should learn from it. Tribes had good things and bad things. Though Legions is different, it should be noted that the only past indicator of ideas is their integration into tribes.

I think obviously that new things should be integrated (otherwise I wouldn't post stuff here), but there are, I am sure, certain things that would work well to carry over.

Legions is Legions and Tribes is Tribes, but Tribes->Legions. Legions grew from Tribes and shouldn't denounce its ancestry. People may use past experience to use as a measure, but they should not attempt to make Fallen Tribes. If stuff worked in Tribes, look at it realistically in Legions and if it would work, I'd say tell someone about it. We shouldn't limit ourself to either new ideas and forget the past judgments of those who acted before us, nor should we neglect to move forward.

Best argument for this whole thing.

Ever.
+1 to you Volt. +1