Why the lagg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
Machine name: OPTIPLEX320
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100427-1636)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: OptiPlex 320
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 1.1.12
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 990MB RAM
Page File: 577MB used, 1809MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode
Your system is begging for more RAM.

skypredator

I play wireless; I, however, have a great connection. I have no lag, except when I play on EU servers - which, coincidentally, are 6,000+ miles away, and even then, the lag isn't very bad for that kind of distance running on Comcast. Generally speaking, I would suggest refreshing your I.P. address. And if the router has those little bunny ears, make sure that they're upright, not crooked. This way the signal is nice and uniformly imported/exported. Oh, and exit any extra program, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome, AIM, yahoo Messenger, Paint.net, GIMP, etc. Anything that you don't need to be open, really.

deathtard

How did u put ur console log and dxdiag in that form death i only know how to copy and paste :(
Hit "Upload a File" and find the files. For the "console.log" you will need to rename it to "console.log.txt" before you are able to upload it. In DXdiag click on "Save All Information" to save a .txt file for you to upload. Sorry if I am not being clear.

JBreezy

I think that was as clear as u could be man, appreciate it

I didnt even realize u were talking to me dabbleh do u think the ram would fix the problem

MightySheep

I'm wireless/British on EU server and constantly have 72 ping but I do get lag spikes like every few minutes which are very annoying cos they last 5-20 seconds and completely kill my speed or cause me to die, every time

Immanent

This happens when 4 or more people join and play on the SG server apparently.
Does this happen on any other server or just SG?

I'm wireless/British on EU server and constantly have 72 ping but I do get lag spikes like every few minutes which are very annoying cos they last 5-20 seconds and completely kill my speed or cause me to die, every time

Very recognisable. Playing wireless on EU servers with good ping, but every few minutes I encounter a lag spike which causes me to freeze for a few seconds.. this causes me to lose speed, followed by cratering, enemy rockets from out of nowhere, or other unpleasant things. Didn't encounter anything like this in other online games.

JBreezy

Very recognisable. Playing wireless on EU servers with good ping, but every few minutes I encounter a lag spike which causes me to freeze for a few seconds.. this causes me to lose speed, followed by cratering, enemy rockets from out of nowhere, or other unpleasant things. Didn't encounter anything like this in other online games.
Well at least im glad im not the only person this is happening to.You described that perfectly man and even worse is it completely kills the chance of you ever capping the flag, if it doesnt do it before you get there and it ruins you route to

Mabeline

God-Tier
I am on a wired connection and with steady ping (250) and I get exactly this issue regularly and it is often followed by a blue screen crash.
BSODs should really only caused by driver errors. You should really investigate that further because there shouldn't be anything you can do from user-space to cause a BSOD.

Well at least im glad im not the only person this is happening to.You described that perfectly man and even worse is it completely kills the chance of you ever capping the flag, if it doesnt do it before you get there and it ruins you route to
If you refuse to test the game on a wired connection there is absolutely nothing we can do for you. You absolutely must test the game on a wired connection otherwise the only reasonable assumption is that the game is too bandwidth-intensive for your wireless connection leading bad packet delivery.

EDIT: You said you had AT&T wireless high speed? That sounds an awful lot like a wireless 3/4G service, which will be even higher latency (with even lower predictability) than a home wireless connection (they are especially prone to dropped packets). I wouldn't try to play a game (let alone one as network intensive as an FPS) on one of those. High speed does not mean low latency and good stability, high speed means high throughput.

Buhlitz

BSODs should really only caused by driver errors. You should really investigate that further because there shouldn't be anything you can do from user-space to cause a BSOD.

If you refuse to test the game on a wired connection there is absolutely nothing we can do for you. You absolutely must test the game on a wired connection otherwise the only reasonable assumption is that the game is too bandwidth-intensive for your wireless connection leading bad packet delivery.

EDIT: You said you had AT&T wireless high speed? That sounds an awful lot like a wireless 3/4G service, which will be even higher latency (with even lower predictability) than a home wireless connection (they are especially prone to dropped packets). I wouldn't try to play a game (let alone one as network intensive as an FPS) on one of those. High speed does not mean low latency and good stability, high speed means high throughput.

I don't think he has 3g/4g, he probably has just a typical At&t DSL connection with a 2 wire "wireless" modem/router combo. Even then, while it is "high speed" compared to DSL most tier 1 or tier 2 DSL packages are rarely over 3-8 mbps. And the 2 wires are notoriously bad for gaming in my experiences.

deathtard

Where does that leave me? I have stated already that I am on a wired conection, I have also posted my console.log and DXdiag.txt, as well as posting a speed test and ping test.

Status
Not open for further replies.