Why do so few regularly play Sentinel?

DOS4/GW

Just curious. I hardly see more than two in a game, but often there are none at all. Is it because it because it has a limited role in CTF? Is it too hard to learn how to use effectively? Or do people find it not as fun to play?

I myself love playing it; instant OD can really mix up your opponent during a duel. That, and it seems many people assume that those who play as Sent usually aren't much of a challenge, and it's fun to surprise them.

I really wish more people would use the class. It makes the game so much more interesting.

A2

It's pretty much based on the interest of the player. I agree, Sentinels play an important role in CTF as well.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
I think it's safe to say that in the future, the Sent will become a more useful and fun armour type to play as.

A2

Very difficult to use, not a lot of points scored, barely any recognition.
A lot of people think that, but once you get used to it, and know in what way it'll prove to be most useful for the team in CTF, it's a powerful thing.
All I can say is, people don't 'like' sentinel, because most prolly' they've never even tried playing on it properly.

DOS4/GW

I just find it annoying to use cuz it's so fat and you can barely keep off the ground in a duel

That's why you use OD during a fight. You can use it to keep yourself in the air longer, OD into them to throw off their shot, or just before you hit the ground, OD under them.

One of my favorite things to do is to OD towards an incoming enemy while chaining (chain + OD = bliss), swoop under them just before colliding, and then flip around and chain moar after the OD ends. Do it right and it's downright devistating and disorienting.

MJ1284

Ask TROOPER, he'll give you dozens of reasons why you should play as sentinel :)

IMO having a well-trained Sentinel on Base Defense can make a big difference. Stopping enemy cappers is easy with OD and you can hold the flag longer than Raider due to increased armor.
In duels Sentinel can effectively migitate opponent's ground pound opportunities thanks to OD and higher armor helps again.
Ever tried chasing near full health Sentinel capper on small maps all by yourself? It's a bloody nightmare!

All in all Sentinel is effective (and in some ways superior when compared to Outrider & Raider) but it takes more time getting used to it.

MightyDeath

Is it because it because it has a limited role in CTF?
Limited role?Seriously?
Try playing a 8v8 pug without HoF really.
HoF is the key person in pugs...Od'ing Cappers is one of the main objectives of it.
Also,The Sentinel should get the enemy flag each time your team cappers return to the base. It has the most armor which makes it more invulnerable.

This is coming from a guy who used to play as HoF in late 2009 in basically each pick-up game.

DOS4/GW

Limited role?Seriously?
HoF is the key person in pugs...Od'ing Cappers is one of the main objectives of it.
Also,The Sentinel should get the enemy flag each time your team cappers return to the base. It has the most armor which makes it more invulnerable.

This is coming from a guy who used to play as HoF in late 2009 in basically each pick-up game.

I mean limited role in regards to chasing, offense, and capping (though it is possible to do these things well as a Sent... to a degree.) The other classes are more easily versatile.

Limited role?Seriously?

You listed 2 things. Being a HoF, and SaH Flag holder. LIMITED ROLES.

Plus, sentinel can be hard to get used too, you can't fly up well without overdriving/rocket jumping which being a HoF on anything where the flag is up higher than where you spawn (i.e. Nivosus) makes it a little tedious to get your self into position after respawn, not to mention if you go to OD block someone and fall off.

Annihilate

Sentinel isn't limited. You can cap/chase/defend/do whatever you want it's just a little harder than a raider due to lack of speed.

57thRomance

I occasionally play as the Sent on a select few maps, mostly to cap because I'm nuts like that. I can run a couple routes fairly well as a sent, thus allowing for better endurance despite the unforgiving terrain and the chasers on my back. I like watching people like Carnage run cap routes because they know how and when to OD, and I follow that example when needed. I can't stand people who troll on about the sent like it's a useless legionaire. I find myself getting pissed off when I'm a raider or outrider, and I get OD blocked before I get to the flag. The sent, like all the other classes, has many valuable uses. It's fine if a person doesn't like/want to use the sent, but leave those people who like sents alone. Remember, the sent's got dem WINGS baby ;)

And remember: this game is still at its early beta stage. All the classes still need a bit of improvement, and they will get better as time goes on.

stefygraff

Private Tester
Sentinel is a very good class, but i use it only in organized games (pugs, scrims); when your in a pub, i need something more versatile, and so i vote for gunnah!

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
I used to hate the Sentinel. Slow moving, nothing what I wanted.

Turn to Legions:Overdrive however and you'll find me quite liking the sentinel. I just never use it because I find that I have to be in more than one place when playing it in publics and find that the Sentinel can't get over to the enemy base as fast enough, hence me using it very little. I haven't tried in pickups because I would probably suck too much!