What anime are you guys watching now?

Chi-Ro

Private Tester
Made back in the days when AMVs were art and not some random DBZ shizzle mashed together with Linkin Park ^_^

This. A good AMV is a very sexy thing, though they're getting to be rare. Personally my favorite would probably have to be Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom, though it's a close call between a few great ones.

Mahidhar

Yeah, Yu Yu Hakusho is a great anime, used to love watching it. The ones I watch right now are Naruto Shippuden, One Piece, Fairy Tail and Bleach. If you haven't already, I'd recommend you to watch Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

Chi-Ro

Private Tester
The ones I watch right now are Naruto Shippuden, One Piece, Fairy Tail and Bleach.

My heart just died a little on the inside...

But really, the big name anime aren't bad, they even have some good runs in their stories, but they're really not that great when compared a lot of other anime. They're just milked way too much.

Also, anime really shouldn't have any reason for fillers (at least to the extent that they use them).

My heart just died a little on the inside...

But really, the big name anime aren't bad, they even have some good runs in their stories, but they're really not that great when compared a lot of other anime. They're just milked way too much.

Also, anime really shouldn't have any reason for fillers (at least to the extent that they use them).
I mostly just read the manga for said ones he said he watches (except one piece). They are that bad as animes? I thought the bleach one would be decent anyways

Chi-Ro

Private Tester
I mostly just read the manga for said ones he said he watches (except one piece). They are that bad as animes? I thought the bleach one would be decent anyways

I don't know that I would say bad. They're milked to death. The anime also tend to be stuffed with fillers when they catch up to the manga in story. Either way, most of them never intended for their story to last so long and you can tell, about half way through you see them all start to get very lazy. They drop rules that they've placed, for example bleach started out with some very strategic rules placed on the usage of weapons and their limits which all go away after the first hundred or so episodes. And most of them you'll notice they quickly go from new unique characters with different skills to main characters who pretty much get stuck using one or two key skills over and over (even if they have the ability to use countless different things). An example there being Kakashi and his Chidori. In the beginning of that anime he is a very unique character who does everything you could imagine, but in shippuden he pretty much only uses Chidori and his Sharingan exclusively. Then theirs the extra characters. They also usually start out pretty unique in the beginning. But really, in worlds like Naruto and Bleach where just about everyone theoretically has some pretty epic abilities, why do we see so many people in just about any fight charging to their death with swords and knives using no skill at all?

/rant

So it's not that they're bad, so much as they get very sloppy in the anime versions. Whereas a normal anime one or two seasons long doesn't usually have time to get to this level of laziness and milking. Also, the ending is what makes or breaks a lot of different anime (examples, Code Geass, and Phantom). Not that they're bad for not ending yet, it's just that an ending itself usually isn't a bad thing. In fact, the ends of anime tend to be very good (except for the gundam 00 movie ending, which was horrible).

Maybe that explains some of my distaste for the any of the major anime a bit better? Also, I do watch them. I tend to fall behind and catch myself up in runs of multiple episodes, but I try to stay fairly caught up.

Mahidhar

FMA:B Was horrible, it went entirely off the plot of the original. I am a huge huge huge fan of FMA tho.

Brotherhood wasn't "horrible", but it provides a better end than the first. The main Anime, I definitely agree, was the best of the two, in my opinion.

Chi-Ro

Private Tester
Actually I find Brotherhood to have been better. It actually had a solid storyline through the whole thing. The original had it's strong points, better (less toony) animation, the action was a bit better, and the alchemy was more unique (brotherhood fell into my "main characters using the same skills over and over" rant, I mean really, all Ed does is make a sword from his arm and throw up walls through the whole thing). But Brotherhood had better characters (in general), a real storyline, more plot, and a real ending.

Personally I'll take a better storyline over better action most of the time (Eden of the East anyone?). Not that Brotherhood's action was bad...

MJ1284

[EPIC WALL OF RANTAGE]

Maybe that explains some of my distaste for the any of the major anime a bit better? Also, I do watch them. I tend to fall behind and catch myself up in runs of multiple episodes, but I try to stay fairly caught up.

I totally agree with your reasoning, milking out is worst possible way to ruin a series/movie. I generally prefer anime that has one or two season (26-52 episodes) made and wraps up after that (possibly with a movie). Other reason why I dislike drawn out anime is the number of characters, it's always better to have a handful of characters with insightful backstories & character development rather than having dozens of characters just for the heck of it (= not serving any meaning to any main characters).

Chi-Ro

Private Tester
I totally agree with your reasoning, milking out is worst possible way to ruin a series/movie. I generally prefer anime that has one or two season (26-52 episodes) made and wraps up after that (possibly with a movie). Other reason why I dislike drawn out anime is the number of characters, it's always better to have a handful of characters with insightful backstories & character development rather than having dozens of characters just for the heck of it (= not serving any meaning to any main characters).

I do tend to like slightly more characters, but not as many as the big 3 anime have. I mean, I probably couldn't name a quarter of Naruto or Bleach's characters even when I've actively keeping up with them. Then you get to a point where they need some extra fillers and think to themselves "hey X character doesn't really have any back story yet, lets give him a filler!". That drives me nuts...

I don't care about the person who did that thing, at that time, in that one episode to help this other person who wasn't the main character either! Don't give them an entire episode! xP

Fillers + side characters = EPICFAILURES

Meh, on another note I've been thinking about starting a new anime, but I haven't been keeping up with what's been coming out lately. Recommendations? (Finishing Index and Angel Beats atm.)

MJ1284

Meh, on another note I've been thinking about starting a new anime, but I haven't been keeping up with what's been coming out lately. Recommendations? (Finishing Index and Angel Beats atm.)

I don't know exactly what series you've seen so far, but I just started watching Witch Hunter Robin and I'm really digging it. I watched four episodes in a row and will probably watch rest of the show before weekend :)

DKnight556

I haven't watched anything in this season because most of the newer stuff sucks. Hamtaro comes back in april though

Madoka is good. Occult Academy and Tatami Galaxy are two great shows from a few seasons ago, as is Durrarara. My avatar is from DRRR, by the way.