What a shame...

Legionaires...come out to plaaaaeeeaaay! What's that sound? Actually, there is no sound, just dead silence. Why is there silence, and virtually no one left to play against? What drove so many good players away from such a great game? There's always more than a few servers up, but they're always sporting zeroes on them for the amount of players. I've noticed a trend of players vanishing over the past year or so, and I haven't played for a few months, but upon returning, I've found literally no one on any servers. Is every one playing in competition now? It's a shame to see the spur of the moment games not available. They used to be such a blast.

Stubbsy

Contributor
Yar, it's a shame. This game is literally dead. I'd love to play, but the servers are just always empty.
I have no idea if everyone has just given up on Legions. If I was to try and kickstart it, I'd have no players to back me up because of the player loss.

I'm guessing some players are just viewing around the forums for Project Z information.

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
Legions has been around for more than half a decade now. She had a good run.

Stubbsy

Contributor
Legions has been around for more than half a decade now. She had a good run.
And still can.

If this is seriously the end of the line, then why is the team still providing costly servers? Why is download still available? The answer is probably because a minor few still plays it. But if there's another reason, then I'd like to know.

Fixious

Test Lead
Because there's no real point in removing the download link. Plus, Poponfu's goal is to keep Hotswap up for as long as possible and available in the very-unlikely event that a PUG happens. He and Triad also use the server for their own little mobile project / Github stuff. As for the EU servers you'd have to ask Xzanth. I left because everyone else did, basically. Tribes 1 has my attention these days, and is more active.

If someone feels like organizing a small draft to bring back a few players, go for it. I'd probably play in it.

gridex

Why don't you guys consider making the game open-source? It doesn't seem like it'd make a difference since the game is already free and volunteer-based. Gives a chance for other coders to fork, submit pull requests, and gain experience.

57thEnryu

Why don't you guys consider making the game open-source? It doesn't seem like it'd make a difference since the game is already free and volunteer-based. Gives a chance for other coders to fork, submit pull requests, and gain experience.
Kinda already is, I mean you can go in and edit all the client side files, even server side if you have one.

Armageddon

Teapot
CS:GO takes all my time up now too.

Move on or find people to play LO with, most just are not interested anymore.

Dino

CS:GO and League have taken me away from Legions. I would hop on if people would still played but I guess that won't be happening anytime soon :/

Dimitryy

I would love to play some games too, but with empty servers ... (also UK server was not playable today because respawn time was set to 1536592375 sec so i couldnt even take some rounds around the map :( ). If the game is "nearly" open source, is it possible to get some kind of lan version?

Fixious

Test Lead
  1. We can't open source it because IAC still owns it and wouldn't allow it.
  2. You can already play over LAN. There's a big fat LAN button right on the server screen.