Weapon Feedback

SNAKEOPS

I'd endorse any of the latter ideas as viable solutions to having sniper weapons in the game while maintaining balanced gameplay and proportionality with respect to the effectiveness of all other weapons and armor classes.

Any of those solutions are more democratic than zeroing in on the LR and crippling its interface (distracting laser beam obscuring sight) and usability (hold it down indefinitely, release to fire).

We hold down enough buttons simultaneously as it is (jet, forward-side, up-down, zoom, weapon-change, throw nade/flag, activate core). Making a weapon irritating to use is a sure way to alienate players more than balance gameplay. “Get used to it or play something else” does not sound like it is in the best interests of the community as a whole, especially when constructive feedback is encouraged. Neither can one realistically expect to ‘get used to’ something that’s been hampered by design, and that’s made to behave unlike every other weapon in the game.

Practically every other FPS and FPSZ manages to accommodate a true sniper weapon, and even stronger variations as well, like the Railgun or Instagib. It is safe to say many enjoy the variability in tactics made possible by different weapons. So much was made possible already, and surely a true sniper rifle, carbine, or instant-beam weapon can find a place too using the great suggestion provided so far.

I agree, and I have to add: If experienced legions players have a hard time with the new LR, what do we expect from the new players who come to try it out? Right now, LR's nerfed so bad that less than 5 people in all of legions can be effective with it now, compared to other weapons.

Jaymyster

I've played against snipers a number of times, but I rarely felt they're overpowered. They might seem annoying when you're in a public game and all the "pros" decide to go sniping from their base bridge, but that's just in a public game. Everyone should remember we add limit to the sniper numbers, if it's an organised game.

First off Max I'd like to say that I'm impressed with your ability to be so level-minded about the LR without being someone who uses it on a regular basis. This is the exact issue for why people believe that the LR is overpowered. Never has the LR been regarded as an overpowered weapon in an organized game.

When there's 3+ snipers on one defense in a pub (Definitely not always the case, but when it is), people inevitably come to the conclusion that the LR is overpowered. The issue is more so the weapon in numbers rather than the weapon itself (which arguably needs a little change). But when the weapon is nerfed like it is now, people who snipe normally don't want to come near it, thus creating a polar opposite effect of the weapon being rarely used/effective.

Here's the real answer to how the LR will always be: If the LR is considered effective and useful by some players (just as other players may think of the BR, or bolt) they will use it. If a team in a public game just happens to get 3 or 4 players of those players that truly appreciate the LR, it will ALWAYS seem as though the weapon is overpowered; unless it's nerfed so bad that 3 or 4 players using it on one team wouldn't be OP (aka the way it is now), which is ridiculous. Especially because that isn't the way every game is, like I said before.

So it's either you make the weapon useful enough for people to want to use it (thus creating the possibility of those pubs with 3+ D snipers), or you nerf it to where people don't want to use it in the first place (a very irrational way of avoiding the 3+ D sniper scenario). That's why the solution to balancing the LR (if any at all) is a very minor nerf.

In conclusion, my suggestion to the devs is this; if you ever wish to minimize the issue of too many snipers on one team, look into other dynamics of the game, not the weapon itself. For all you can do by changing the weapon is either make people want to use it or not want to use it. It's that simple

Maxter

Been using the Blaster Rifle a lot more. Have to say; the primary damage is a bit undermining(not the DoT, that's just about right in my opinion), could use a small buff. Nearly useless against Raiders at this point.

So what if there's 4 or 5 snipers in a game? Couldn't be any worse than going to play, and finding the only server has a password lock on it. I get blasted by the Skybolt, RL, BR... the fact is, it's freedom of choice that has always made this game so versatile and cool. Now speaking as someone who liked and practiced the old LR, and not being any good at the new one, my opinion is biased. I've always welcomed change, but for the better, not the worse, as is the LR's case. Why the LR needed to be changed at all is beyond me. The charge-to-shoot change, along with the sound of bubbles isn't so bad, (I guess), but what makes the weapon feel sloppy to me is the fire on release change. Every other weapon in Legions is press to fire. The reversal of the LR makes no sense even if it used to be that way. I've seen a few people getting better at the new version, but then again, there's only a few people even using it at all. This fact alone should speak for itself. "Get used to it", "Quit complaining", "New LR works as intended"....seems like a lot of time writing code for changes that are detrimental to the weapon. Would I be the first to ask why any of the other weapons weren't changed so drastically? It would seem that I'm not the only one on the subject with a biased opinion. In closing, I'd like to say that pilot, (2 threads above), has perfectly dialed-in on how the weapon has been "improved" to the point of uselessness. Sure, a couple of players say they like it, but the negative feedback obviously out weighs the positive by far.

Sniper better than ever, no instakill when you get to the enemy base on Nivosus! The nerf was needed! Anyway sniper has no place in fast paced games(T;A example) If you want to snipe, please orientate to games like CoD please! Bolt better than sniper by 1000 times!
Laser rifle always splitted the community into two sides, and im absolutley sure that the majority will decide the best for the game, not just leave such a bad wapon i such a fast paced game where you dont have to just point and click from 500 m and ruin a good caproute. More discuss over this after 1 week, when you snipa lovers will get used to the changes

I tip my hat to you Stefy, for you truly stand alone-

Maxter

Really? I myself have been playing with the weapon a lot and feel that the DoT for splash is "just right". It's probably a lot easier for you guys to get the splash shots in low ping so I think if there's a problem, it's a matter of the splash radius being too large. Would like to know your thoughts on it though.

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
if there's a problem, it's a matter of the splash radius being too large
This could be it too, was playing today and just barely in the range of the splash means I got the DoT and it getting so frustrating when like 3/4 people are doing it.
A smaller DoT radius but same splash radius may be a better idea actually

Maxter

That should be good. The usual DoT damage in under 2 radius(it's around 10 points I assume) and slightly reduced from 2 to 3. But then I'd suggest a +5 to base splash damage to balance it out.

Angel.

Private Tester
I like defenders maser rifle we should have that in instead of that pointer we have now. Plus sniper is supposed to be a stealthy weapon... its not stealthy anymore when you have a ugly beam coming out of your arm... but anyway my opinion will be shitted on

Jaymyster

I like defenders maser rifle we should have that in instead of that pointer we have now. Plus sniper is supposed to be a stealthy weapon... its not stealthy anymore when you have a ugly beam coming out of your arm... but anyway my opinion will be shitted on

I concur, the lead beam has only worked as a distraction for me and most others so far. It gives the illusion that your laser will shoot RIGHT when you release, but in actuality, you still have the ping delay in between your release and the actual shot of the laser. (Far more noticeable for those above 50 ping) I've asked what I could do to eliminate the lead laser (at least from my screen), and I was told to use the eraser in GIMP2 to erase the "pointerbeam.jpg" and "guardianbeam.jpg" (as well as make them Read-only files), but the laser still remains in game. I suggest the option to take the laser off of your own screen? Or at least a full-proof method to getting rid of it at least on your own screen.

Fixious

Test Lead
After some tinkering around I've found out how to remove the aim beam client-side. Simply delete the snipeaimbeam.jng file and place the attached file in the same folder(\live\legions\data\shapes\weapons\sniperrifle). Note that this will also make it invisible if someone is aiming at you as well.

Attachments

• snipeaimbeam.png
    snipeaimbeam.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 9

Jaymyster

After some tinkering around I've found out how to remove the aim beam client-side. Simply delete the snipeaimbeam.jng file and place the attached file in the same folder(\live\legions\data\shapes\weapons\sniperrifle). Note that this will also make it invisible if someone is aiming at you as well.

Thank you thank you thank you

Fixious, I saved your attached file to my desktop, opened it & nothing was there. Came back to this post to try again, & opened right from your thread, & nothing was there. Anything I'm not doing right, (other than not chanting open-sesame?)-

Fixious

Test Lead
That's the point actually, it's an image of literally nothing. It replaces the existing snipeaimbeam image, rendering it invisible. The aim beam is still technically there, it's just invisible with the image I attached. Just delete the existing snipeaimbeam file and drag this one into the specified folder.

Thank You.

I was just working on it and noticed a sniperbeam 1 jng file, and a sniperbeam 2 jng file. Do I delete the first one or both? (promise to stop asking stupid questions after this one).

Fixious

Test Lead
Only delete snipeaimbeam. There's only one file named that. snipebeam 1 and 2 are the images used for the actual laser that fires from the rifle and damages players.