Weapon: "Crossbow"/"Harpoon Launcher"

Personally, I came up with this idea after thinking about the old sniper and grenade launcher for some odd reason.

Weapon Description:
Launches a bolt/harpoon at a high speed that will arch over long distances due to the sheer weight of it's ammunition.

Info:
-The damage is extremely high, about as much, if not less than the mortar.
-There is noticeable arch in it's travel to prevent it from becoming a more powerful version of the bolt.
-The high damage is paired off with a very low rate of fire(Worse than the mortar).
-Absolutely NO splash damage what-so-ever. It's a hit or miss weapon
-If it does not kill the player, it has the ability to "Stick" a person to any surface behind him within 10 meters/feet.
--If nothing is behind the player, it will simply stop the player in mid flight/slow down/knock back the player
-The speed is between that of a rocket and the burner rifle(But more closer towards the rocket-launcher)
-The ammo capacity would be 5 bolts/harpoons.

So far, the idea seems balanced on paper, though that might not be the issue when sent into testing.

EDIT Based on Feedback:

-The harpoon/crossbow would have a 20-meter prime stage where it does minimal damage(About as much as a splash from a rocket)
-There would be a small delay upon firing
-Bolts/harpoons will be destructible
-As well as knocking back the player, it will have a slight push backwards
-Now damage is as much, if not less than the mortar.
-Speed reduced to between rocket launcher and burner rifle

prometheus11

How about no damage (or minimal...since it is such a medieval weapon lol) but instead just extreme force to launches enemies (or teammates ;D) the amount a mortar would? Still no splash, must make a direct hit. This could make for some innnteresting tactics.

Propkid

This needs a slight nerf, otherwise this will be OP in short-distance fights even if it's senti only. Mortars are still easy to dodge, this wouldn't be. You could handicap the gun in these ways:

Make the projectile destroyable, like hand nades. Of course give it some hp so that one plasma/CG projectile doesn't destroy it.

Some 'I'm about to shoot this big *dancing* gun' notifation, such as the player starting to shine or emitting a noise would be good.

The last option is to have the gun fire at a natural delay, as if it's charging up (or as if you have a high ping). You press the 'fire' button and after 2 seconds the bolt comes out. Might use some fuel/disable jets for a while.

(EDITED)

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
Who else thinks this would be a totaly useless gun which doesn't have any place in this game?
Disci, when posting criticism, writing "why" you believe something to be useless generally serves to bolster your otherwise nonexistent argument/point.

To counter epic close quarter destruction (as high/higher than mortar = 1 shot OR), perhaps there could be a 1-3 second priming stage, after which the weapon does it's full damage + pins players. I kinda like the pinning, but coupled with the high damage, it does seem OP.

Disci

Old man
Disci, when posting criticism, writing "why" you believe something to be useless generally serves to bolster your otherwise nonexistent argument/point.

Why? Why should I point out the obivious reasons why this gun is not going to get in the game ever? Do you suggest I should expect people to be morons who doesn't have slightest idea how to use their so called brains?

Why? Why should I point out the obivious reasons why this gun is not going to get in the game ever? Do you suggest I should expect people to be morons who doesn't have slightest idea how to use their so called brains?

Well if you're gonna be so *dancing* agitated by the idea of explaining things, at least tell me how this suggestion could be improved.

Propkid

Start from there.
That's proving how it would be un-useless... And my theory on any guns is that they should first be tested before rejected (remember my thread about the Ballistic Rifle? If you feel like it search for that, then compare my description with the way Skybolt looks like now. Similar? :p Was tested, even though the forums rejected it.)
If I am to be Disci-honest I'll say that this gun has no place whatsoever in CTF and holds an OP upper hand in any form of DM unless it's nerfed a bit.
But I'm me so I provide feedback and say that this would be interesting to see tested :p

prometheus11

My point is that we've already got high damage weapons that are getting complained about (mortar)...why add another? Why not add something that is more interesting for gameplay than just high accuracy instant kills?

Disci

Old man
That's proving how it would be un-useless...

It is useless to think of a gun that would be so OP and then suggest it on these boards. And...

What would be the purpose of this kind of gun? What is Legions missing atm?

Also about skybolt, what would you say its purpose is? So far I haven't found any reason why it is in this game. This is ofcos in it's current state and what state Legions is now.

Propkid

What would be the purpose of this kind of gun? What is Legions missing atm?

Also about skybolt, what would you say its purpose is? So far I haven't found any reason why it is in this game. This is ofcos in it's current state and what state Legions is now.
If we go super-minimalistic then all L:O needs is RL and CG. Skybolt, BR and them other new guns provide a nice way for each player to find his own playstyle. Honestly, when I play the Outrider I prefer plasma/Skybolt than any other weapon.
What Legions is missing is some more depth and variation (ie just general content). Guns are one way to go at this need, maps/game modes/OD cores/new loadout system/deployables is another way to go at it.

Disci

Old man
What Legions is missing is some more depth and variation (ie just general content). Guns are one way to go at this need, maps/game modes/OD cores/new loadout system/deployables is another way to go at it.

You know, guns are for certain need. This is why there is mortar and blaster which were considered base asset killers in Tribes games. We know, that there will be destroyable base assets coming so naturaly these weapons will have a use, which atm, I don't see there is ofcos. I don't see weapons adding any kind of depth, except handgrenades, which added nice variety to gameplay as we know already.