Training Modes

Alex

you don't learn to play any game just by sittin' on your ass and shooting at a few bots...legions is all about unpredictability...you don't know where your adversary will jet...where he will shoot..what route he will take..etc. legions is about skill as much as it's about experience

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
you don't learn to play any game just by sittin' on your ass and shooting at a few bots...legions is all about unpredictability...you don't know where your adversary will jet...where he will shoot..what route he will take..etc. legions is about skill as much as it's about experience
Which is why I would just propose skiing training mods, not combat training mods.

Dacil

but i still don't understand why we need to throw more complication into the game when we already have people who make skiing route videos and people can just ask other players for tips and such....god forbid someone needs to actually talk to other players to learn lol

Tribesman

I think practicing movement is the best thing. So when you enter a ACTUAL server with ACTUAL players, you MIGHT be able to stand a chance. For me, movement was the hardest thing to learn.

masterluso

I think practicing movement is the best thing. So when you enter a ACTUAL server with ACTUAL players, you MIGHT be able to stand a chance. For me, movement was the hardest thing to learn.

I remember it took me a week to learn how to reach 70 m/s.... that sucked.....

ocarina_boy

I respect your ideas for a training mode NomNom, but I feel it may be unnecessary. Think back to when us young fishes started. We were pretty much thrown into the deep-end right off the bat, which forced us to pick up from other players around us, and we learned quickly. It's really not that hard a concept to grasp ( as in general game mechanics and CTF) for most people unless they are young or mentally insufficient. And there's usually kind people ( such as yourself :D) in-game who can give them some pointers anyway, no need to design a training mode, and they can pop into legions IRC to learn from the Tribes and IA-Legions veterans.

If they really want to learn, they will.

MJ1284

The good thing is you can train skiing by yourself. There's tons of videos on YouTube that'll show you skiing (tutorial & capping videos).

masterluso

Sure.....even though I never did PlayLegions. Only Legions periodically. I'll prolly play it mroe now.
Playlegions had some time trials where you ran a cap route through glowing circles. There weren't very many, but they taught you some routes, and made you do them right.

Alex

i remember that when i first joined IA skiing was indeed a hard thing..and more exactly "flying"..so whenever i got the chance..i didn't feel like playing with other i just started up my own party and made it private and practiced skiing and flying..i also invited a few friends...so you don't really need a special training course

Annihilate

Movement and Skeeing is the easiest thing to learn in Legion..

Does overdrive come under movement/skiing?
I remember finding it extremely hard in terms of capping to ski/fly/OD at the same time when I was new to leejunz. I can see how movement would be easy to learn if you were in your own party but when you join a PUB its completely different due to chasers/defenders.

juhben

You don't need to have a private host just to practice, it's better to play even your a beginner in pub game and improve your flying/skeeing skill, Missiles, Grenades and Chaingun will be easy for a human being.
haha..
:p

You don't need to have a private host just to practice, it's better to play even your a beginner in pub game and improve your flying/skeeing skill, Missiles, Grenades and Chaingun will be easy for a human being.
haha..
:p
I actually get surprised when i see some one who spend lots of time playing Legions and still plays like a rookie

Deskari

Hi kids,

I think we need a realistic perspective here. The game is being developed by members of the IA community, not a professional development team with loads of cash. Heck, I don't even think it was that prior to the downfall of IA. If we consider the potential audience of who will actually continue to play this game, a tutorial probably won't be very effective. There is no replacement for 1-on-1 interaction, so go do the buddy system.

masterluso

@Deskari

I like that idea... but what would you do? Would you mean sign up for a mentor-person or just hope someone notices you're a noob and tries to help?

Dacil

Hi kids,

I think we need a realistic perspective here. The game is being developed by members of the IA community, not a professional development team with loads of cash. Heck, I don't even think it was that prior to the downfall of IA. If we consider the potential audience of who will actually continue to play this game, a tutorial probably won't be very effective. There is no replacement for 1-on-1 interaction, so go do the buddy system.
basically exactly what i said, so i agree

what would you do? Would you mean sign up for a mentor-person or just hope someone notices you're a noob and tries to help?
trust me there's ppl out there that would help, including myself..the ppl just gotta ask

I remember thePhroo helping me