Trailer Concept - Cast your votes!

Which one you like the best?

• Total voters

sugardemon

-Agreed on best production quality in #4.
-#1 didn't make any sense, your narrative would say something like 'feel the speed' and then you would play a clip of 2 raiders dueling.
-keep it under 90sec
-don't worry about awesome MA shots, go for good angles and the most action. New players won't have any idea how good/bad the aiming is, so try and show player movement instead (brief shot of that outrider on bladerun was nice, maybe some fancy OD cap clips?).
-Some kind of team focus shot might be good. maybe for a secondary trailer tho. All the defense standing ready, or some players skiing formation? It would never happen in game, but that doesn't matter for a promo.

Good start tho. looking forward to the next revisions.

BugsPray

Legions Developer
Number 2 is my favorite (assuming all of the shots and graphics are placeholders). I would like to see more macro shots of the action in Legions. I think new users seeing the trails and an overview of the gameplay generates interest and excitement.

moronval

Private Tester
I'm torn. I'm actually in favour of the dev team whipping up something with fresh new footage exactly for a promo video.

MJ1284

The music.. Didn't like any of the tracks. They were all so.. asian, Moonlit reminding me of AVA. Is that where it's from?

Moonlit is from Tekken 5, you weren't too far off. Looking back it's too much of a montage-ish music, not fit for trailer.
Picking a music is somewhat tough, Inception theme gets used everywhere these days, Requiem for a Dream won't cut it either... I don't like using too melodramatic music, this is a simple game trailer, not a war that determines the future of human kind or anything. Heavy music? Nah, I won't even try that.

So what else we've got? As some of you have stated before, trailer is supposed to grab people's attention (in a good way), hench I think it would be best to go with something neutral that feeds people's curiosity but doesn't invoke too strong emotions (does this description make any sense?). IMO Tecno-ish beats are something that flows along the video but won't exaggerate ongoing action, but then again it might just be my own opinion.

I'm little surprised that so many private testers/devs replied here, didn't think thread would be all that interesting. While I appreciate everyone's feedback, I might be little more biased to listening what older members & devs have to say because they have better understanding on whole what Legions is all about, hopefully none of the new members won't get offended by this statement but I think it would be good to let everyone know. Why is it important to understand Legions, you ask? Simple, at worst a trailer might give a false image of the game and therefore lure in people who most likely aren't interested, while those who could be interested would just say "oh, another typical FPS game.. I'll pass". I want to avoid that death trap, hench I pay more attention to what old scarred veterans have to say, it has nothing to do with elitism or such.
Newblood opinions are valuable too, it's good to know what sort of impression the trailer gives to those who don't know anything about Legions yet.*

* Keep in mind that this is trailer's main audience!

I'm torn. I'm actually in favour of the dev team whipping up something with fresh new footage exactly for a promo video.

I understand your point, and I'd prefer letting devs make official trailer first before I start working with this in-depth. All I can say is you'll get most accurate answer from Mabel/BugsPray. Mabel actually said something about the trailer on IRC channel, can't remember our discussion from word-to-word, but I gathered that it will take time until devs can put their focus on making a trailer.
No fear moronval, I won't put together complete trailer until devs say it's okay!

havocblitz

it would be better if all the trailer look in HD.
My vote go to magicfly.he's traile goes pretty good when he mix his video with A2 title.

Serket

Voted 4 because I find it to be the best balance in music and editing.
Just one thing I think would be good for the final version, and of course once you can record new footage, I suggest recording close to a player in spectator view so new people can see and understand what's going on and can get a feel for the intensity of the battles and the movement system. Another thing could be showing more third person perspective footage because it gives you a better feel for the speed and a better sense of scale.
Just my thoughts, and really excited to see what you can create with some new footage since I'm sure it'll be awesome, so best of luck!

Propkid

If you could replace some parts from 4 with the ones that appear in 2 then I'd go for 4. Otherwise im voting for 2.

oh and:
-PLEASE don't use the winner just as it is. Polish it even more after picking it.
and...
1. are you allowed to use music from Tekken?
2. titles could be better (but theyre good... but could be better ;])
3. hard to see the fighting. the music is also a bit awkward
4. content seems overlooked. 2 has better music :D and tbh a nicer intro

apatriot1776

Propkid has got it dead-on. 2 has a better intro and a more "mystic" feel to it, but doesn't really have any action in it. 4 has the action, but doesn't have the drama and appeal of 2. If there were a way that you could mix it together, it would be perfect.

MJ1284

Seeing that so many of you like 2nd concept's music the best, I'm little anxious to try developing it further with music taken from Dune -soundtrack... that could make serious impact on new folks.

I mean just listen to this, how can this NOT catch anyone's interest?

It builds up slowly and gets real good towards the end. And then there's 20+ more of similar songs on that soundtrack...

Application-1

test bester
Also sometimes you see someone grab a flag in the air but for a new player all this could be is some guy flying towards some icon so they wont get whats happening so maybe get clearer shots for flag passes.

DeadGuy

Legions Developer
Our problem with making a trailer is 2 things:

#1) It involves time and right now we have things that take priority, like fixing bugs.

#2) Anything "we" do, will give the impression of formality and final say in how Legions will play. The big problem with that is the game is NOT done. Doing a trailer on a bare bones game would not fit our main goal to improve Legions. Therefore, if it is a mainly community project, it will hopefully give us the ability to improve Legions in the meantime. We actually don't want huge attention just yet, until we feel our game is a bit more polished. Like I said before, we can turn away players that only see an unfinished game and we can piss off any new players that come in that like the game as it already exists.

In the meantime as we are moving forward, I do not mind working with the community on things like this. Once we get more depth into the game and polish it, I think we will step back and let the community have their creative juices go wild. We might even make our precious official trailer when new content is finished. But right now, first impressions are one of the problems we face releasing this game to you in the bare bones way you played it 8 months ago. But we love you guys so...oh well. :)

Lcam

Mmm ...
I study communications, and honestly the 4 videos are so bored.
Legions, LISEN THAT if they want to be great so I advise the following:
1 - The video will be need quality
2 - The video must be short, because it will be boring.
3 - Dont show the old maps, SHOW THE NEW MAPS, SHOW THE NEW GUN, SHOW THE NEW OF LEGIONS OVERDRIVE
4 - Show all the action.

Is that what captures the attention of the public.

Like this trailer is shor, interesting and the video show all the action of the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfDyguXdqY8&feature=fvst

A2

Mmm ...
I study communications, and honestly the 4 videos are so bored.
Legions, LISEN THAT if they want to be great so I advise the following:
1 - The video will be need quality
2 - The video must be short, because it will be boring.
3 - Dont show the old maps, SHOW THE NEW MAPS, SHOW THE NEW GUN, SHOW THE NEW OF LEGIONS OVERDRIVE
4 - Show all the action.

Is that what captures the attention of the public.

Like this trailer is shor, interesting and the video show all the action of the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfDyguXdqY8&feature=fvst

Just want to let you know that, these are just fan made trailer concepts using the old legions videos. You might see an official L:O trailer soon whenever/if they (the development community) makes it.

Lcam