Titanfall

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
This is a bit of a delayed thread, but I'm wondering if any Legionnaires got the chance to try out the Titanfall beta? I missed out unfortunately. From what I've seen on YouTube though, some of the movement mechanics seem interesting (kind of reminds me of Mirrors Edge).

Thoughts on the game? Will you be buying it once it comes out in March?

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Yes and it run pretty poorly on my machine with two 6870's in it. Considering it was source and on lowest settings I only managed to get it to max 50 lowest 30 on one card (Crossfire only hinders performance) nowhere near a full 60 frames. It's not even the best looking game either, it runs on the source engine which has been out for donkey's years now.

However, the game was pretty fun, the pilot vs pilot combat was pretty run of the mill cod-esque with some mirror's edge thrown in but the real action started with the mechs. Mech vs mech felt hawken like but not as fast more just shoting at each other until one dies. (Note there are hitscan weapons everywhere) but pilot and mech interaction is interesting. For me the most fun was jumping on a titan's back and shooting it until it was doomed. Also another sweet feature is that you can jump on a friendly titans back but it is pointless because as the mech turns your aim turns and is pretty damn hard to hit anything and is faster to get to a place on foot. You can also set your titan to auto pilot mode, but you can't jump on its back like a friendly titan's. Note the AI ground troops are pretty pointless.

I won't be buying it because of the aforementioned performance issues on my machine where I can run pretty graphically intensive games at a stable 60. Also EA.

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
BugsPray and I put a ton of hours into it, it was a lot of fun.

It's a unique gameplay experience, the ability to play as a Pilot and Parkour around attacking other pilots and Titans was awesome. Last Titan Standing was neat too, takes a lot of strategy. I am certainly looking forward to the full game and seeing all the new maps and game modes and all that.

I ran the game on the highest settings with at least 60FPS (didn't check) with my 7950 and it was totally fluid.

We played with Ian and some other EA guys a bit, and it is definitely better to be in a big group playing together. If there is any promo/discounts before launch, I will definitely be preordering.

Dino

There were a few glitches in the game but overall was a good beta run. I liked the lock on pistol :D

Got this in the mail ^^
TITANFALL!.png

Fixious

Test Lead
They're pretty weak compared to Tribes and Legions. Should be used more as a double-jump than traditional jetpackin'.

Defender

Titanfall, looks cool, is it mod friendly, or locked?
I would love to join some new team on the t3D game engine, that is making a spiritual successor to tribes, tribes2, fallen empire legions, that would have these big robot looking player vehicle models, and even slower mechs. Coding big player looking vehicle models in T3D, not too difficult, I coded some mech looking player models in tribes2, that had turrets, guns grouped in pairs or not. The tribes2 mechina mod, had big players as mechs, not a new concept>> http://www.mechina.com/mod/

Defender

I like some of the bitch-en concept art for mechs, combat suits, found on aol, cool designs...
http://conceptrobots.blogspot.com/2012_06_01_archive.html

fausto_02.jpg

fausto_05.jpg

fausto_03.jpg

fausto_04.jpg

kemp_r_05.jpg

Last edited:

Armageddon

Teapot
The game is locked, and it doesn't have any community tools or plans for them sadly. Which blows horribly, i'd love to see a mod with extended Jump jets.. Nothing that would be as powerful as Tribes but 50% more would be fun.