Time Settings (Day vs. Night) -- Legions: Overdrive maps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then that is what should be done in order to test things out. I don't know how much it can hurt the developers to test something new and exciting out, unless it costs some major time and money.

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
Rain or snow are particle effects, and map-wide, could easily cause some local lag. I also think that darker maps can make it a little harder to see characters (namely Core and Quarry) while lighters maps (everything else) were easy to see. And a day night cycle is nice in an MMO, not in this particular genre of FPS.

57thRomance

That's a pretty cool idea, but i think i'm fine with the way things are now. Like, one map usually looks much better in the dark than another. Quarry is a great example. Besides, where have you seen that in other MMOFPS games?

Mahidhar

OK, I may have found a solution for the dark maps. Bodice Lighting. Let's say we're having a deathmatch in The Core. I am searching for any players to kill, in the non-blistered parts of the core, i.e. where there's no lava cracks on the ground. The only way I'll be able to spot them from afar, would be by looking for their ski trails. I was thinking, if the developers can modify certain parts of body armor, where they would glow, and help for easier way to spot other players in the dark maps.

Idk idk idk. These were just ideas that the developers could soon get their handson if they wished to do anything new to the game. Could harm us a bit with the lag or the time it takes to create such effects; However, you are right in the way that no other FPS shooter game has ever had such effects as to have a day/night effect.

Having the maps as a unique asset to the game is very nice. I, in fact, don't want to support my idea any longer, hahaha. I think the maps were and are going to be good as we found them-- But better. Thanks for bringing that up, Piggeh! :D

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
First if this idea is implemented, it will be in an update, rather than the first release. Also, Mahidhar, bodice lighting wouldn't solve everything. While finding people to fight in DM would be made easier in the dark, skiing to them would be an issue, and in CTF, skiing is even more integral. New maps could be created designed for day/night fluctuations, but getting the color nice enough to look at in the day and easy enough to see at night would be an issue, but there would have to be lighting like in Quarry. In the dark maps, there isn't an issue with seeing the other players. We would just have to watch how dark it got. Also, I think what Piggeh meant by MMOs is MMORPGs, rather than MMOFPS, though I may be wrong.

Right. By no means Legions should have any major changes at launch. Perhaps the bots could have lights on them, that signifies what team they are on?

Mahidhar

What do you mean by "skiing to them would be an issue" ? If you're talking about trying to variate between an enemy and a friend, the glow on the armor parts will be just like the ski trails, orange for enemies and blue for friendlies. Normally, the whole map doesn't stay dark, like Core or Quarry, the bases and the places, near the bases will have the lighting, only a few parts of the maps won't. That is when, the Bodice Lighting will be useful for players, so they may spot others faster.Remember the helmet skin in FE:L, where the eyes area glows? Something like this, but try to visualize that on parts of the armor.
349c39i.jpg

Also, another reason I suggested this, was because, I expect the developers, to create newer armor models. I doubt they would wanna go with the old Fallen Empire: Legions armor style, forever.

Yeah I doubt that too. I was just saying that the armor could light up in some ways in a special design so it could determine what team you are on. Like for example, if there was this mode to have a 16 person TDM game with 4 teams of 4, it would be better if not only have different color thrusters, but different colored armor/ designs so we can determine who to eliminate even if they don't have their thrusters activated. This, however, would work best in the dark maps or areas of the game. Armor designs would be pretty cool to have to customize what light pattern you have on it.

ChainU

Glowing team mark on the chest or arm etc. And some glowing stripe on some armours edge would be cool. Like in the outsider side of the leg.

Or you could design a night vision. Not green coz it doesn't really suit on the game... Red/blue/purple would be cool. :) And there could be no-light fights where you can use a sneaky tactic. :D (Only trail)

I did you a favor and liked your post, because I 100% agree and support your ideas! I can't really see any downside from these ideas except that some people might not like it, which doesn't matter, because not even half of us liked the new laser rifle and IA didn't remove it. :D

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Okay, a few things. I wasn't entirely clear on how dark nighttime maps were going to be. Also, why do we need bodice lighting? If you can't see somebody who isn't flying or skiing, they're far away and thus, probably not a threat. If they are a sniper, then you can follow the beam to the enemy. In a 4v4v4v4 match, you don't need to know which team is which, just which people you can kill. Also, there are no bots and there is a good chance that there won't be.

ChainU

Okay, a few things. I wasn't entirely clear on how dark nighttime maps were going to be. Also, why do we need bodice lighting? If you can't see somebody who isn't flying or skiing, they're far away and thus, probably not a threat. If they are a sniper, then you can follow the beam to the enemy. In a 4v4v4v4 match, you don't need to know which team is which, just which people you can kill. Also, there are no bots and there is a good chance that there won't be.

The lights would help team work... That alone stuff is quite lame.

Vinzyboy23

Some of the maps are in night mode aren't they? (like Quarry and Core)

But it would be good if they add an option Day and Night mode

Mabeline

God-Tier
No.

Visibility is a critical part of proper gameplay. Night maps are, quite simply, impractical and useless. Introducing a feature like this adds little for the amount of time spent developing all the support for what amounts to little more than a "wouldn't it be cool if...".

Status
Not open for further replies.