The Sniper Thread

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
I If you can't keep up with them, then the problem is at your end. Don't blame the game if you're lacking something.

Winning a map against good sniper D is very rewarding. Change your play-style, fill the missing position, go harrash the snipers instead of running mindless front routes and open a window for someone else to grab the flag.
QFT
Taunt the snipers from the bottom of your heart when your team makes the cap. Sweet victory for your team and bitter failure for the enemy. Maybe they will learn how to play during the next map.
:( I hate it when people laugh at me when I miss...
Yes, you make good points Disci. Must you be so rude when making them? Calling people ****s is not appreciated; censoring it does not give you a free pass.

Honestly, dude, I tire of seeing your condescending and disrespectful behavior, and I'm more than a bit mystified as to why you have not yet been modded into a fine powder.
Mod OmniNept then too amirite?

Disci does make good points and the way he presents them is just something to get over honestly. I know he means well and cares about the game heading in the right direction. and also telling people to stop flying in straight lines

Aki

Alright, I'm officially sick of this *chocolate cookies*. Six snipers to a team is way too many. inb4 "adapt," when all six snipers are some of the best in the community, there is no adapting. inb4 "get better," lawl, why didn't I think of that?

This has been one of the biggest problems with PUBs since L:O launched. I've made efforts to quit whining about snipers in-game since the community graciously explained to me sniping in all its glory and at its most shameful, but I have to say something about this. It's even worse in the test servers at the moment 'cause everyone is learning the new SR, but that doesn't stop it from ruining my experience and making the match completely unfair (not to mention making it near impossible to learn anything useful besides how hard it is to get passed six defending snipers and a heavy).

I've proposed the idea before, but here it goes again, anyway: Class caps. I feel that an 8v8 game should have a sniper cap of three per team. 16v16 can have six per team. Either that or force team balancing so that if one team gets x more than the other team then x snipers are chosen at random and switched to the other team.

Last time I proposed this, the counter argument was "what if an unskilled sniper is filling the last slot and a skilled sniper joins?" Tough beans. You can ask him to relinquish his spot if you MUST snipe. Or you can be nice and remember that the newbie won't ever get any better unless you let him snipe a bit.

Another counter was that PUGs will usually impose their own such limitations, so there's no need to worry about it; PUBs are just PUBs and no one cares. Wrong. There are some people who don't ever play PUGs for various reasons (a common one is connection speed; some players are considerate enough to not lag out the PUG with their slower connections). Those of us who are always in PUBs DO care.

Many games have such caps without there being a whole lot of trouble. Day of Defeat is a great example: every server can set its own class restrictions to tailor the play a certain way. Many restrict snipers to two or zero, some will restrict assault class or bazooka, etc. America's Army 3 has class restrictions built in for realism: no more than 3 or 4 SAWs, no more than 1 sniper, and usually no more than 2 GLs per squad. The only time it ever becomes a problem, in my experience with those games, is when some asshole or child comes in and wants a position that's already filled so they start griefing the other player until they get it. Moderated servers will frequently kick such immature twits, further minimizing the problem.

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Please stop.

Edit: I was practicing the sniper with some of my guys. Sorry if we bothered you.

PureWhoopAss

Legions Developer
No one never seems to complain when everyone is doing LO or heavy defense or chain capping... why should sniping be any different?

stop the madness

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Read the post first >_< . I didn't say sniper is OP'd. I said there are too many people using it.

I did read the post, but I felt the underlaying message was that too many snipers make sniping overpowered. In proper competitive play, you'll find that very few teams have one sniper, yet alone more than 2. Perhaps public play should be treated differently, but as some people on these forums don't realise, competition play comes first when balance issues are discussed.

Karnage

Private Tester
I would just like to point out that it's the hornet. 57thDX posted about this but got very rudely shot down (pun intended) because people love the hornet. You are GOING to see more snipers because of the hornet. Everyone wants to use it. I am not going to say it's OP but...it sure is popular. :p

Aki

@Blackhand: I DO downjet. A lot. Even more when I have three or four blue beams coming at me one after another. The problem is that it doesn't bloody matter. I wouldn't have made a thread about this if the problem could be surmounted by holding (or tapping) the shift key, thanks. And I realize the game is in development. That's why I bothered to make a proposal at all. I agree with you about clan stacking; the thing is, I see that done to a significant effect only once in a blue moon. Sniper stacking I see nearly daily.

@Pure: I do complain about those things. In game, by hitting C-D-C over and over again. If it's a problem, that is. Sometimes one team does all D and the other all O and it actually makes for an interesting game. Sometimes :p .

@Fireblasto: Again, read the post: I don't participate in competitive games. Obviously, if I didn't care about PUBs, this thread would not exist. For the sake of everyone who ever plays PUBs, though, I don't think people should treat a PUB any different than they do a PUG. The basic rules of online gaming still apply: don't be an ass, keep the game fair, play to your comfort level, and have fun. Why is the second one so often forgotten in PUBs? Most notably, as said, by snipers who stack a team.

snob

I've always wanted to know what would happen if people just sniped back, or if you had 2 or so guys dedicated to harrasing the snipers from a distance.

Society

I totally kill snipers but Aki is correct about this thread I've seen new bloods complain about this. I do remember that one time where I was getting double sniped across the map on Nivo like seriously. However I don't see a solution for this problem, you may have to deal with it or overcome it.

Fixious

Test Lead
I'll go against the majority in this thread and support class caps. Hell even in some PUGS(last night, for instance), the snipers were pretty crazy. It has its downsides, but having played with class caps in other games I support it, even it were for only snipers.

DKnight556

First of all. People I am disappointed at how Aki is pouring out his feelings to us and hoping that he can play his legions in peace. I know he does complain about snipers a lot but you should still read his post and leave a comment that is helpful instead of
Oh god,
Not another 'sniper is overpowered' thread :(

[...]I felt the underlaying message was that too many snipers make sniping overpowered. In proper competitive play, you'll find that very few teams have one sniper, yet alone more than 2. Perhaps public play should be treated differently, but as some people on these forums don't realise, competition play comes first when balance issues are discussed.
Competition Play is not the main goal of these forums. The PUBs are the base of legions. Legions would not exist without the PUBS being used for practice and training for newbies. Competition is not everything and people on these forums that think they are so cool cause they play in a lot of pugs need to realise that casual gaming is still an issue

[..] It's even worse in the test servers at the moment 'cause everyone is learning the new SR, but that doesn't stop it from ruining my experience and making the match completely unfair (not to mention making it near impossible to learn anything useful besides how hard it is to get passed six defending snipers and a heavy). [..]
If you are correct on this statement then it should stop in a while. When new content comes out on any mmo all the players rush in to try it out and see if they can use it and/ or like to use it in future games.If you didn't like the sky bolt ( like me because of the every shot MAs on me playing HOF). but it died down after a couple of days and now its back to normal.

[...]Moderated servers will frequently kick such immature twits, further minimizing the problem.
We don't have the manpower to have moderated servers. Customizable servers might be a possibility when ever player hosted servers return, but until then the servers could not be customized like that. There just isn't enough servers.

Support for class caps +1

RainPilot

stinky bear
Oh god,

Not another 'sniper is overpowered' thread :(

You really need to start to downjet Aki. It's so pathetic to hear ALL of your rage threads about snipers.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Please stop.

Of course Ucan, the most annoying sniper in the game, is the first person to shoot someone down.

Don't just shoot someone down, maybe it's plausible. What if a very skilled player who has a prominent role in the community suggested this? I bet if someone like Unknown posted something like this, most of you would either not comment because you disagree, but respect his point or you would be like "hurr durr yeah I think the same thing Unknown <333 capz".

Anyway on topic-

Aki, I think class caps would be nice because I've seen certain clans like 57th go into pubs in all heavies and just own because they are organized, know how to pass, and they have numbers of heavies. Other groups such as Ucan and his trolls, like to gather at a single location and just snipe. It's annoying, but extremely effective. But then again, that only happens in pubs, and some of the skilled people don't play in pubs for certain reasons.

ThermoDust

Leave the power, leave the changes, leave everything but one thing. Make it so the laser is seen and has to charge to fire(like the LR from 2yrs ago). That way people who wait to have a full charge like before were rewarded with a more powerful shot. People who fire to soon or fly for to long and use to much energy get rewarded with a weaker weapon.