Download "The Colosseum" Map- Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

stefygraff

Private Tester
Not much to say about it, its beta and has lots of bugs... throwing out at the public and finishing it in a few days.

As you will see, this map will be best suited for dueling mods and rabbit, so don't hesitate to use it.

Note! the map is not broken, its just very VERY huge!!!

Download link here

Test it out and give feedback and crazy ideas on what to other things i should add on it!

(Currently working on the jump pads)

Screenshots:

as.jpg

aas.jpg

aaaas.jpg

stefygraff

Private Tester
This looks awesome for dueling and TDM :)

Im looking forward for a tdm pug on this map!

Side notes: ill make the spawn points mixed in the next update and add more structures to get on top. It will be a nice map to hang around and find all stefy's little secrets he will add. This will be more than game-only map, i like to call it "the explorers map"

for now, im waiting feedback on what structures you want to see on it:D. I was thinking to put all the legions bases in it...

Belberith

Legions Developer
Personally, I think it's a bit TOO big, as even on bridges there is a lot of width. Also I agree with Volt. Needs lots more platforms.

Another dueling area idea you could put in (I just thought of this) is a set of platforms in a square or circle, reasonably close to one another, out in an open airspace with some height variance between the platforms.
Just another idea since there's so much space to put stuff in.

stefygraff

Private Tester
Yes, its big, almost the size of frostbyte. If i get a few more people comment over the size of it ill drop about half of its current size.

Making a colosseum sized object is a bit hard for me, but i downloaded torque builder, hoping to add a few spectator seats.

Delpicy

This map is a nice ffort. But for obvious reasons, I think you can see why it is not working well the way it is:
1. The map is just way, way, way to big for what you are trying to do with it. To get to the top, you either need to an Or thats great at boost jumping, or a sent that iODs near to death. Which is unfortunate, because I like the very top part of the map the best. Honestly, this map would be much more functional at 50% its current size.
2. You don't use 80% of your map with your current bases. For CTF, there is no reason to go higher up. For deathmatch, there is no reason to go higher up, because its just too much of a pain to go up there, and no one will be even fighting up there because of that.
3. There is just no way to gain speed. Everything is flat, with flat walls. I understand you are trying to make an arena type map, but that doesnt mean you cant go fast inside it. Try curving the walls towards the bottom, may be able to almost treat it as a halfpipe sometimes.
4. The respawn points are out of whack. However, I'm sure this is just because you didn't get to them yet.

Anyways, I thought this is a nice concept for a map, it needs quite some work. Although it was fun jumping from the very top and freefalling :p

stefygraff

Private Tester

Well, i know size dose not matter, but i made it very very very big not only for duel style, but also for rabbit game mod.
On the other hand, im already working on jump pads. I got them inserted as object and it appears on public-test version; BUT it dose not trigger :(

You pointed out that there shouldn't have the bases from nivo i think: well, thats just an improvisation to make the map go live asap. the new version will cut that out and add more good space for dueling.
Most of the objects arnt inserted yet, thinking that the Arena is big it will have lots of ramps and places to go up with (others that the jumppads ill work on)

Also there will be am exterior ramp and lots of objects on the outside- lots of ways to go on top through the outside. Its going to be a crazy map with lots of elements, just a fools map for fun and rabbit :). When it will be finished, i will strongly suggest it to Duel Ded Servers, just the kind of map to hang out and do nothing(just like the duel servers)

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
If you need some help with the jump pads, I'd be willing to help given that I have experience coding triggers as of a mod I've been working on as of late.

Defender

The jump pads are easy, You just got to make a new trigger and function, then just place it in the map using the editor. I used the ones already in Legions and changed the settings and name. I renamed mine different for each map, that way my settings for one map don't get changed by my next map..
My map SkyArena, has jump pads with sound. I made different sub folders for the trigger data and functions in the editor, then I made new ones for it to work in legions live.. Your welcomed to use my stuff if you want. pipeChallenge_1.0, has teleporter code that is simple.. He just uses triggers, then he sets the players new position to some position like pad2 or pad1 or what ever.. I like the simple way hes doing it.. In tribes2 we used much more complexed code.. I am going to be doing teleporters at some point too, If I keep mapping..

Propkid

I just wanna throw in:
Men make big big maps to compensate for small small... :D

Question: how big of a map can be made without the game crashing/lagging like mad on ordinary PCs? I might try and pick up some map making in a week or two.

Also: how hard is it to make objects such as bases? From what I've seen in custom maps there's a lot of need for those kind of objects since you re-use the same ones all the time.

Not saying that I'll produce anything for sure, but soon I'm finishing my work and I'll have lots of time to learn map/object making.

stefygraff

Private Tester
I just wanna throw in:
Men make big big maps to compensate for small small... :D

You used a women phrase, i feel so sorry for you...

Question: how big of a map can be made without the game crashing/lagging like mad on ordinary PCs?

You can make a map 1000 times larger than BladeRun, for what good?

I might try and pick up some map making in a week or two.

You need FELT09 for making maps...

Also: how hard is it to make objects such as bases? From what I've seen in custom maps there's a lot of need for those kind of objects since you re-use the same ones all the time.

You can make objects in legions using programs such as Torque Constructor or better Maya(Poponfu uses it, better than constructor).
For now all i use is Constructor, but its best to use Maya (if you want to make a hobby out of this)

Status
Not open for further replies.