Sudden death round for CTF draws

Helvian

It just doesn't feel natural watching a game end at a tie, with no winner. Why not have a sudden death/overtime round?

It could either be:
  • First flag cap wins
  • Last man standing wins for their team
  • First to set their team's score to 10, from their score before the overtime round
Just some thoughts. Let the negativity begin.

Redvan

Private Tester
does it really matter in PUBs? Most people don't really care in PUBs. In competition, there will be some form of tie breaker.

Siantlark

Yeah. What Redvan says. Most people in Pubs are there to have fun, not to get a track record of wins and loses.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Overtime would be best. So the server adds 120 seconds to the game when its a draw. After so many of these overtimes, the game does into to sudden death. But I agree, Only for competitions.

Apcizzle

I'd like to see it implemented into pubs as well as competition because there are a couple public games that i've been involved with that were ended in draws. And it sucks.. no sense of accomplishment. More than likey the games that end in ties are usually good games and it sucks that a time limit ends that. A sense of victory in these cases would be nice, public or private.

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
Yeah, this has been an idea that I've had focusing around competition for a while now. I'd love to see it implemented for the reasons that Apc has stated.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
I like this idea. I never did PUGs or competition, but I was always kinda sad when we ended in a tie. I'm a little competitive by nature, so that would satisfy my drive for a clear cut victory even on PUBs, and I agree with Volt, force respawn and flag return for sudden death. Also, I think for sudden death in CTF, there shouldn't be a 'last man standing' deal, because its about CTF, not about killing enemies for points, so I think it should be a 'golden goal' where the next cap determines the winner.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Just thought of something... How about instead of a golden goal, we have a prometheus duel of the best person from either team? Would be interesting.

Joking of course, but it would be funny to watch (and not going to happen since Mabel has declared Prometheus a waste of code).

Helvian

Long jump mode. Players get transported to a very very steep and long downward hill of which they have to jump as far as they can. OFC, that map would have to be insanely large.

Just throwing some non-combat related ideas out here, :p

Propkid

I'm sorry but a tie-breaker would be FUN, even in PUBs. Either golden flag or last man standing (both?), surely not extra time.

Unknown

Private Tester
Definitely something that I would like to see. If not just for having a sense of accomplishment, but I think that something like that at the end of a game, especially a private one, would add some fun and intensity that you wouldn't see in your normal 25 minute game.

Long jump mode. Players get transported to a very very steep and long downward hill of which they have to jump as far as they can. OFC, that map would have to be insanely large.

Just throwing some non-combat related ideas out here, :p
I will win.

Helvian

Jump pad map over a field of lava? (while trying to kill everyone somehow? XD)
Skeet shooting with sniper rifles? (A proper mode to practice sniping in)
Circular tunnel with OOB-style instant death walls? (Race mode with obstacles)

sorry last idea was terrible, how about non returnable flags, touch enemy flag (held) to your flag (on the ground/ MA) to win.. cappers can run/ rabbit, but when they die, the flag falls and is grounded.. no flag timeout

Daphinicus

Private Tester
There doesn't seem to be a huge benefit to confusing players by changing up gameplay during a sudden death round. Why not just have the clock tick into overtime until the score no longer reads a tie? At most, I can see a reset when the clock strikes 0, so everyone starts back at their base.