SSD Experiences

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
I am very close to getting myself an SSD yet I am curious as to why there is quite a big price difference between some makes, has anyone had any bad experience with the cheaper brands or do they all do pretty much the same thing?

Also, I have 3 HDDs currently running on a 500w PSU, would adding a SSD be too much?

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
My 90gb Mushkin Cronos SSD is a monster. Only had it for a little while but the boot speed is absurdly fast, so glad i got one. You'll probably need a larger PSU if you want to add a 4th hard drive.

Experience has been very positive.

Armageddon

Teapot
Love my Corsair Force GT's each 240GB, one for windows and programs and the other just for games.

I'll never use a HDD for anything but file storage.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Got a corsair gt 60gb and used it as a cache drive for often used programs, really can feel the difference when clicking programs and boot time is decreased so its good when you had a limited budget (and who wants to put an OS on a 60gb ssd? Not me)

I know popunfu uses ssd's alot as well, especially writing fraps footage to them, they're excellent at doing it and they still haven't failed (atleast to my knowledge), not sure what brand they are though.

Intel have the lowest failure rates, whereas ocz have a failure rate of 3%, the highest in the market, Most other brands are around 1%.

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
Got a corsair gt 60gb and used it as a cache drive for often used programs, really can feel the difference when clicking programs, and boot time is increased so its good when you had a limited budget (and who wants to put an OS on a 60gb ssd? Not me)

I know popunfu uses ssd's alot as well, especially writing fraps footage to them, they're excellent at doing it and they still haven't failed (atleast to my knowledge), not sure what brand they are though.

Intel have the lowest failure rates, whereas ocz have a failure rate of 3%, the highest in the market, Most other brands are around 1%.
I would put my OS on it, boot times bore me.

Armageddon

Teapot
Bottom line is SSDs are better then HDD in every category besides storage space vs price. Buy a 120gb ssd for op sys and a few other programs then use a hdd for storage and seldomly used programs.
It's worth the cash, even cheap ssd out perform hdd, a 1-3% fail rate won't effect you noticeably.

Strife

Bottom line is SSDs are better then HDD in every category besides storage space vs price. Buy a 120gb ssd for op sys and a few other programs then use a hdd for storage and seldomly used programs.
It's worth the cash, even cheap ssd out perform hdd, a 1-3% fail rate won't effect you noticeably.

You're not allowed to talk about anything until you add me on msn, facebook or start talking to me in irc.

moronval

Private Tester
I know popunfu uses ssd's alot as well, especially writing fraps footage to them, they're excellent at doing it and they still haven't failed (atleast to my knowledge), not sure what brand they are though..

:S

Writing to SSD's taxes the life expectancy moreso than just reading from SSD's. Even though the life expectancy of SSD's is usually so long you wouldn't notice, it's not something I would want to do - I don't want to risk SSD failure because of how expensive the storage/cost ratio is. I'd rather buy 1tb HD than another 80gb SSD of the same price. Write speed of a slave HD is almost always more than enough for 1080p fraps recording (even those hip go-green eco-friendly HD's with lower power consumption).

I also did some bench marking on my SSD and noticed write speed was inferior to my slave HD (Intel SSD 320 vs. Western Digital SA872 HD), it was only read speed that was largely improved. That's just my SSD though, not sure if it's write speed is gimped or what.

Edit: If you needed super write speed, you should be setting up a Raid 0 with hard drives

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Writing to SSD's taxes the life expectancy moreso than just reading from SSD's. Even though the life expectancy of SSD's is usually so long you wouldn't notice, it's not something I would want to do - I don't want to risk SSD failure because of how expensive the storage/cost ratio is. I'd rather buy 1tb HD than another 80gb SSD of the same price. Write speed of a slave HD is almost always more than enough for 1080p fraps recording (even those hip go-green eco-friendly HD's with lower power consumption).

Ya, the link arma posted was pretty good at explaining everything. Personally, if I was that worried about ssd drive failure I'd just set up raid 1 with two and add on hdd's as I needed them. Hdd's are still reasonably expensive due to the shortest and ssd cost is going down all the time (I grabbed my corsair gt 60 gb - fastest drive on the market) for a mere £60 whereas a year ago an equivalent drive would have costed me £10-20 more. Ya sure hdd's are just fast enough for it, but I'd still prefer to write to an ssd.

Armageddon

Teapot
You're not allowed to talk about anything until you add me on msn, facebook or start talking to me in irc.
i've been going into #l the last few days and as always nothing was going on, I'm trying to make our relationship work but i feel like i'm the only one trying. :(

moronval

Private Tester
If you want to video capture onto an SSD, you'll likely get stifled by the small drive size. Small spurts of video cap is fine on affordable (under $100) SSD's but even some legions PUGs went 20 minutes+, which required a lot of space. A 160gb drive can do like an hour of footage at 720p with room for editting & compressing.

Or, I guess if you record onto a SSD and then transfer the video files over to a big/slow HDD for editting then atleast you're making use of the SSD's speed where it matters.

what am i even talking about anymore brb pudding

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
All depends on the recorded settings and frame rate as well. Fraps is pretty bad for large file sizes anyway, MSI afterburner is where its at for video recording.