Sleepwalker, Stygian, Team Deathmatch, OMG!

Fixious

Test Lead
I'd also like to see the sniper removed. If it stays, there needs to be a limit(1 per team). Don't see why nades should be booted though.

I'm sorry, but Sniping is a valid tactic! Learn to counter it.

Easy enough to say that, but there really is no valid tactic to counter a good sniper (as long as he has a decent team to support him).
Example: Our TDM PUG yesterday. The teams consisted of some pretty good duelers like Freeman, Ucan, Nil, myself. We allowed one sniper per team, and my team had BLS (one of the top snipers in game). We ended up winning like 100+ to 50, himself having over half of our kills. There was literally like no way to stop him besides using sneak attacks, which usually ended with the person doing the sneak attack dying, so that's a 1-1 loss per team, and the sniper being right back in combat and owning people a few seconds later (with these lowwww respawn times).

Fixious

Test Lead
Easy enough to say that, but there really is no valid tactic to counter a good sniper (as long as he has a decent team to support him).
Example: Our TDM PUG yesterday. The teams consisted of some pretty good duelers like Freeman, Ucan, Nil, myself. We allowed one sniper per team, and my team had BLS (one of the top snipers in game). We ended up winning like 100+ to 50, himself having over half of our kills. There was literally like no way to stop him besides using sneak attacks, which usually ended with the person doing the sneak attack dying, so that's a 1-1 loss per team, and the sniper being right back in combat and owning people a few seconds later (with these lowwww respawn times).
This was on Sleepwalker, right? It also didn't help when our entire team was scattered throughout the map most of the time. :(

This was on Sleepwalker, right? It also didn't help when our entire team was scattered throughout the map most of the time. :(

Yea, but it was honestly our sniper that made the difference in the game. I say no snipers anymore in our TDM PUGs. :)

Aki

From a thread in GD about sniping. Wrote this bout a half hour ago. Agree, disagree?

A lot of people have been complaining about the SR making Sleepwalker into hell. Every time I've played SW so far has been from Beta side, so keep that in mind so you don't get lost (geographically).

This has worked okay for me: keeping low and behind the towers as much as possible will prolong your life expectancy. The one large block structure with a tower on top of it makes great cover from the Alpha sniper who stays back near Alpha spawn and even from the one on top of that tower if you can get to the base of the block. For snipers on the twin perches by the bridges, again, use that block structure and stay on the far side. Another thing to try is to bait the knife fighters over to beta side 'cause the distance is great enough that the SR doesn't hurt so much if fired from any of Alpha's towers, which makes the sniper ineffective or forces him to move forward where he is more vulnerable.

Obviously, you're still going to get vaporized by the blue light now and then, but I felt that doing these things helped. A little.

Also, getting someone to exclusively harass the sniper will really alter the dynamic of the match as the sniper's team must now defend the sniper or lose his support, which will pull all the fighting to wherever the sniper is and make him a target of opportunity for the entire team rather than just one person. At least, that's what I have observed so far.

Propkid

I have. The map is really flat and expansive, so of course a sniper is going to wreck everything on it. The problem, in this instance, is the map and not the weapon.
Let me just quote me, in case you're not following that thread [edited slightly]:

The first game I've played on Sleepwalker has ended completely differently than it started and I was completely delighted: at first everyone took the almost-classical approach of taking Gunners/Rocketeers and just trying to almost mindlessly rush into and kill the enemy. Then a couple of people realized that the map is split in half, across the middle tower and that it's not so easy to maneuver on; these people started D-sniping from areas near to their spawn. They couldn't reach the enemy at their D-positions, but the enemy was still 'almost mindlessly rushing' into O.

They got burnt :]. The enemy picked up the sniper too and soon the game turned into an almost entrenched warfare, with the dead man's zone being the middle tower. But then people once again realized they could come up with a counter-tactic and there was a rapid increase in the number of Defenders and clusters being used on both teams. Soon the game became really really balanced, with both teams looking almost exactly the same in terms of load-outs and team members performing actions that nearly resembled the archetypical (can't come up with a better word) actions of their loadouts: snipers were constantly trying to position themselves to support the O and prevent the enemy O from getting near. Raiders were constantly on the move, trying to stop the enemy Sentinels from reaching their Snipers and trying to take out the more offensive and better placed snipers on the enemy team. Sentinels were picking out lonely targets and were themselves trying to lonely raid the enemy D-snipe. All of the map between the spawns was being used; people were trying to flank, sneak in from the back or just gain speed and break through the dead man's zone. I discovered new Legions.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Change the length of the game to 15 minutes, 25 minutes is way too long and I think plenty of players get bored in that time.

Reactions: Lin
Change the length of the game to 15 minutes, 25 minutes is way too long and I think plenty of players get bored in that time.
I agree with shortening the game time. The maps (ahem, Sleepwalker) are not very balanced right now and a game of TDM can quickly derail. That makes the current round length an agonising time to sit out...

Also, while flawed, I still adore TDM. Thanks so much.