Sleepwalker, Stygian, Team Deathmatch, OMG!

Mahidhar

There is also another issue. Let's say Team A scored 6 points. Team B, 3. Team A can simply stop spawning, and wait for the game to end. The solution for this could be to use a force spawn function. Meaning, a player, in a Team Deathmatch mode, will most definitely spawn after the 3 seconds cooldown, whether or not he/she left clicks.

Royalty

The Aussie
OMG have to scroll so much.....
Should make server list longer so you don't have to scroll....

EDIT: Made new thread in Suggestions about Server List Size

Armageddon

Teapot
Stygian has great potential as a capping map, but many of the hills dont lead to the bases well. Gives a Dangerous Crossing type feel, which I like. (I always thought that maps in Legions needed to be a bit more vertical, every things so 'flat' and open.)

I thought the same thing after a few runs at the stand.

I like the new maps as is for CTF, half the fun of new maps is adapting to them and figuring out the routes.
Not every map has to have obvious routes like frostbyte/Nivo/Moonshine, some variation in maps is needed in the game.

Jedired1

SHittt my final exam today wt a great reward :p <3

WAhooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo missing leigions :p

yami

Private Tester
The terrain of these two maps are at complete opposite sides of the spectrum, and neither extremes quite work right now. I don't know if you guys have any intention of turning Sleepwalker into a CTF map but right now it's definitely living up to it's name and putting me to sleep. It's nice to have some pure 1 on 1 duels once in a while, but playing around with hills and cover is way too interesting of a dynamic in legions to sacrifice for the sake of straight up duels.

The terrain on Stygian obviously has some heavy tribes influence but I think whoever made it took it a little too far. I know people like it because it is tribe-sy and very different from the smooth rolling hills of niv/frost/zenith, but skiing in tribes is pretty different and this terrain does not work too well in legions. If you guys remember Mirage in test and early release, it had a similar terrain of lots of tall sharp peaks and the like. At first people praised it for it's tribes feel and escape from the norm, but that quickly turned into cries of "must smooth out Mirage!". The terrain looks cool, but when it comes down to it it's just too difficult to ski.
Also, spawning in the back of a mine shaft really screws you if you need to go get a quick e-garb or something.

ps I lolled at the massive hexagonal wheels

Fixious

Test Lead
I find Stygian to be one of the easiest maps to ski on. I take very little damage when landing because of the terrain shape. I didn't find any obvious CTF routes though, but I wasn't looking all that hard. I agree that the hills might be a bit on the extreme side.

Aki

I like Stygian. Can't find anything I don't like, yet. I didn't try looking for routes, but I like what the hills do for skiing. Yami is right, though: it's a little different mechanic in Legions than Tribes and having sharp hills like that on a big map could be a bad idea. That said, Stygian is pretty compact, made so by its overall bowl shape and the proximity of the bases, so the sharp hills actually are very fun! It makes for some interesting fights.

I like Sleepwalker, as well, but I do have one complaint: it's damn near impossible to get out of Beta base with anything at all like 'speed.' Mounding up some dirt in front of more buildings for people to ski down could help, or maybe weaker jumppads (boost only to 70?). I noticed that Alpha base has a nice big hill in front of it.... That kind of asymmetry could be pretty useful for a cap and hold or king of the hill gameplay where people really don't need to leave Beta base much, but for TDM it really slows things down and I don't even want to see it on CTF.

My only other complaint is that THREE of you devs were all playing on the same team and I got the ass kicking of the year *pouty face*, though I did manage to get Seymour and Deadguy once or twice (BARELY >_< ).

yami

Private Tester
I like Sleepwalker, as well, but I do have one complaint: it's damn near impossible to get out of Beta base with anything at all like 'speed.' Mounding up some dirt in front of more buildings for people to ski down could help, or maybe weaker jumppads (boost only to 70?). I noticed that Alpha base has a nice big hill in front of it.... That kind of asymmetry could be pretty useful for a cap and hold or king of the hill gameplay where people really don't need to leave Beta base much, but for TDM it really slows things down and I don't even want to see it on CTF.

I like my maps how I like my women: curvacious and symmetrical.

I find Stygian to be one of the easiest maps to ski on. I take very little damage when landing because of the terrain shape. I didn't find any obvious CTF routes though, but I wasn't looking all that hard. I agree that the hills might be a bit on the extreme side.

I was frequently getting fall damage, along with a couple of people that I was trying to watch who I regard as pretty "average" players. Maybe we aren't used to terrain like this or you or a better skier than us. But to be clear, I agree that it is a very fun map to ski on, if you are just skiing for the sake of skiing. Those of you that said "I like skiing this map, but I didn't go looking for any routes yet" I would encourage you to try to look for some routes. I did fine just skiing around for fun, but when I skied with a purpose and a destination (i.e. the flag stand), the terrain just had it's way with me. It was like;

Stygian: You are going to go this way
Yami: I don't want to go that way, the stand is this way
Stygian: (slaps Yami with fall damage) YOU WILL DO AS YOU'RE TOLD

Application-1

test bester
memes-bert-me-gusta.jpg

OmniNept

Actionaut
"Also we've got Sleepwalker and Stygian as new maps. Sleepwalker is a fairly small desert map, whilst Stygian is a misty mountain map. Both of these seem suited to deathmatch, so we've decided to keep these as maps for our TDM servers."

Sounds as though these aren't meant as CTF maps, so I wouldn't worry overly about their "skiability".

I think Stygian's terrain looks ridiculous, but it plays quite well: the excessive undulations allow dm'ers to gain speed and alter their paths quickly.

Sleepwalker's the polar opposite, in both terrain and playability. Legions' slow, floaty movement doesn't support flat terrain; at least not with snipers. I suggest adding some hills and removing in-base vantage points.

You'll also want to consider scattering spawn points along the sides. Because there aren't weapon pick-ups, powerups, or control points, teams are free to camp in their base - a strategy which provides them that ridiculous spawn protection timer on top of their travel-time advantage. Disperse spawns, or, when the time comes, make deploy stations mid-map only. Teams won't camp when they're unable to pull snipers.

As an aside, seriously consider removing spawn protection. In competitive games, spawn protection is absolutely unnecessary: if there's someone camping spawns in a scrim or ladder match, that is entirely your team's fault. In public games, I can understand; in competition, though, there's no excuse. Make it a toggle.

P.S. Those players that enjoy shooting people in their FPS' appreciate the latest additions. Both the duel and the TDM servers are welcome.

D

Doom Of Neroflame

i spawned inside a building and got stuck in the wall when i moved in sleepwalker

phanakapan

Private Tester
i think we should toss flags on each map and see how things go. the flag on styg should obviously be in the tube. on sleep walker i would put it on the concrete slab below the little catwalks so it isnt quite as easy to grab.

I love the wood texture on styg.