SideSwipe [WiP] Map Comp Rd #2

Armageddon

Teapot
Since i got my hands on Felt8 way back when i always liked playing with the map editor... even thought it was garbage and unstable then and now with a pretty decent editor and a competition going i figured i'll throw my *chocolate cookies* in to so we have a bigger map pool.

This is SideSwipe, it's really early in the creation but i'm finally pretty happy with the terrain and ambiance of the world. The terrain is 100% new, no re-mapping of any existing map terrain :)

I drew some inspiration from my two favorite T1 maps IceRidge and SnowBlind for the look and feel of the terrain, a low to medium dusting of snow with some frozen ground peaking out all under a snowing overcast sky with slight fog.
The map size is between Zenith and Frosty so hopefully even with a low player count the game will still move quickly.
The bases are being designed now, i'm going with a "Drilling Operation" type theme with random pump stations throughout the middle and the bases will resemble drilling platforms. The bases will be set diagonally which allows for some pretty fast side routes (hence SideSwipe) and the middle also has a lot of quick routes so cappers will be able to mix it up a good bit. Each base will have three forward linked towers with nice starting slopes below each one so chasing can start from any spawn point fairly quickly.

Heres a short video of the map minus the bases, sorry about the quality this was recorded with Razer gamebooster...

SNAKEOPS

It looks awesome, definitely should enter it in next competition. It has a different feel of a snow map to me, and I do like the fact that it has no base which can be a positive thing since there's no map in the rotation that doesn't have a base (as far as I know). Tall hills next to the flag stand can serve as towers for chasers, it'd add a nice spin to it.

My only concern is if it would be very laggy when it has 20 people or so in it? If not, then it's awesome in my books.

Belberith

Legions Developer
I do like the fact that it has no base which can be a positive thing since there's no map in the rotation that doesn't have a base (as far as I know).

The bases are being designed now, i'm going with a "Drilling Operation" type theme with random pump stations throughout the middle and the bases will resemble drilling platforms. The bases will be set diagonally which allows for some pretty fast side routes (hence SideSwipe). Each base will have three forward linked towers.

Heres a short video of the map minus the bases.

Terrain looks great; keep up the good work!

Voltage

Puzzlemaster
It looks like it'd work out to be a really smooth and fluid map.
I see a large variation of ramps for cap routes and slopes for returns, all in all- it looks great!

SNAKEOPS

One more suggestion, If you could make it a night map, that would be even more awesome. That way, those light things you have going on in that map would serve a purpose. Night map is pretty much what alot of pub players are looking for.

Poponfu

Lead Developer
Like the terrain detail der

I think it should be smaller , you think big maps are cool until they kill the server 3x in a row when it comes up

Armageddon

Teapot
One more suggestion, If you could make it a night map, that would be even more awesome.
I would totally love to do a dark map (Elekyak) was great when it was a dark map and so was Quarry but dark maps don't seem to catch on and stick.

Like the terrain detail der
I think it should be smaller , you think big maps are cool until they kill the server 3x in a row when it comes up

It looks big but it's no bigger then Frosty, i started on frosty as a "base" the way i positioned the bases makes it seem bigger since is't corner to corner but it's still smaller then Zenith. I'd call it medium. If i took Zenith and did the same we would end up with a mirage size map which would totally kill a server. If it doesn't get picked no biggie, or played the same. It's just whats in my head right now and seems like it might be fun.

The thing i note the most is how tribes players would play anything if it was fun and different and how legions players will play things that have pre-determined routes, not that it's a bad thing but i'm mapping as if it was tribes. Just something new and seeing what can be done with a few hills.

SNAKEOPS

The thing i note the most is how tribes players would play anything if it was fun and different and how legions players will play things that have pre-determined routes, not that it's a bad thing but i'm mapping as if it was tribes. Just something new and seeing what can be done with a few hills.

I agree with you there, people complain about bowl partying and being sniped when they keep using the same route over and over, going to the same bowl, and etc. Instead of mixing it up. They certainly go through the trouble of complaining instead of doing something different.