Problem with editing Trails

Synista

Well, I've been trying to make my own trails, and when I save and put read only and update, the trails stay the same as before and don't change. Help? :)

PureWhoopAss

Legions Developer
believe it or not i found something interesting with the trails. After digging through some material listing scripts i found out that you can actually change the format of the trails to .png and .dds. This will work only if you add an alpha channel and you must have the original file names renamed... the engine will search for these files as long as there in same folder and named like as shown below.

flightlighttrail1 and flightlighttrail0 are the files for trails

Lin

I believe this works with most of the .dts files for models. Using a .dds file in place of the .dts sniper rifle file worked out fine.

PureWhoopAss

Legions Developer
hmmmmmmm I haven't tested that.. the dts models are typically set in stone for image formats once they are exported. You can't swap .dts for .dds it just doesn't work that way, it could possibly work for trails and few other things but beyond that I think will cause an error. I couldn't even get a tribes 2 disc launcher in public game without the game putting out a shape file error.

.dts file is a shape file that has images mapped to it while .dds file is just an image file along with various mip map levels used for LODs (levels of distance).

Propkid

believe it or not i found something interesting with the trails. After digging through some material listing scripts i found out that you can actually change the format of the trails to .png and .dds. This will work only if you add an alpha channel and you must have the original file names renamed... the engine will search for these files as long as there in same folder and named like as shown below.

flightlighttrail1 and flightlighttrail0 are the files for trails
Does that change the way lighting is applied to the trails?
Does that mean that we can try getting black trails? :DD

Lin

well its working fine for my skin and beam, but i havent tried it out for anything else...so i dunno

PureWhoopAss

Legions Developer
black trails don't look right, its not like smoke coming from a rocket. The skin is basically the image file stretched and weaves around with you.

if you make a black trail it will turn out white in game.. theres an option for the material to have additive, subtractive, and normal layer... it would need to be set to normal or subtractive. currently its set to additive.

Synista

I use Paint.NET, which is not allowing me to opening the JNG files, do you know where to find the plug in, if not then thanks anyways :D

Propkid

black trails don't look right, its not like smoke coming from a rocket. The skin is basically the image file stretched and weaves around with you.

if you make a black trail it will turn out white in game.. theres an option for the material to have additive, subtractive, and normal layer... it would need to be set to normal or subtractive. currently its set to additive.
NN to tell me what will happen when I set the image to black, I tried... what I'm trying to get is in game black trails but I don't have the knowledge...

Propkid

I TRIED!!!
Brigther image= more light on the trails in game
Darker image= more transparency
Hence gray ends up being midbright transparent....

PureWhoopAss

Legions Developer
you using png format? as i said before the image has a addictive setting applied to it from the game. I'm tampering with the game data, so be patient maybe there will be light at the end of the tunnel:p

new Material(FlightLightTrailMaterial0)
{
baseTex[0] = "~/data/shapes/human/flightlighttrail0"; <-------------------------------------------------------------- this is path and file name, which means you can make it a .dds, .jng , or .png
translucent = true; <----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- this is why it has some translucent
glow[0] = true; <-----------------------------------------------------------------------------this setting right here applies a glow to the image based on image color

texCompression[0] = DXT5;

preload = true;
};
new Material(FlightLightTrailMaterial1)
{
baseTex[0] = "~/data/shapes/human/flightlighttrail1";
translucent = true;
glow[0] = true;

texCompression[0] = DXT5;

preload = true;
};

PureWhoopAss

Legions Developer
Your better off not even trying to go for dark trails, with translucent turned off it looks terrible and it also sticks with you always even without hitting jets because without the translucent the image just appears constantly.jettrail.jpg

Synista

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, Pure whoop asss,, can you do a nice purple trail for me, and can you do white ones too? unless white ones are bad. Thanks mate

PureWhoopAss

Legions Developer
thats cause its not public server its being run off older legions felt9 i think it is... current legions is felt10

Propkid

Your better off not even trying to go for dark trails, with translucent turned off it looks terrible and it also sticks with you always even without hitting jets because without the translucent the image just appears constantly.
remiq.net_4111.jpg

You might not understand how much I want those right now... I mean really
Any way to get them into my L:O? Also keep in mind that ATM I don't have a working gaming PC so I won't be able to test the change but I have a copy of the whole 'legions' folder on my HDD so I can apply the changes right away
~if you tell me how

Propkid

Also a few questions which I'd answer myself if I had a working PC:
What happens when you set the image format to PNG, leave some of the trails blank (png blank as in transparent) and set translucent to false?
Why the 2nd flightlighttrail file? (FlightLightTrailMaterial1)

And... could you screenshot un-translucent white trails? (also unglow if they don't differ from normal ones)

Chewing-gum trails... /nerdgasm

PureWhoopAss

Legions Developer
I tested the trail data, its terrible for dark colors. The scripts are server-side meaning it would have to be done from the server to accomplish the dark trails.. I don't think the community wants me to take the glow and transparency off for few people wanting dark trails.. I thought about it but when I tried it came out ugly. Think about a gypsy lady running around with streamers, thats what it looks like. Gypsy lady... glowing trails... gypsy lady... glowing trails... I think I'll go with glowing trails :p