Player health recharge

Remaining in a HoF position on PUBs takes a lot of patience, and I recognize that, but if you give the system a try while playing other positions, you might find that it isn't all as bad as you make it up to be.
i agree with that i learnt capping cause it suked so bad on PUBs

i agree with what u r saying...but devs shouldnt rely on good teamwork to make a position playable

its too much to ask haha

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
I'm not saying that this is a good idea, but perhaps it might make others think of something somehow.

In a video game I play, the main character has nanites in their blood to heal damage. The energy of those nanites is the health bar, and by defeating enemies, you absorb some of their nanites, increasing your maximum life after a time.

What if that was the justification used for a vampirical effect that would automatically happen upon the death of someone? You would see a series of particles fly towards you and heal you (if you had taken damage).

This has issues as it could make it too easy for one good player to own the enemy base, but its an idea.

RockeyRex

Legions Developer
I prefer not to have to CTRL + K 100 times per game.

Oops, got hit by a rocket 5 seconds after I spawned. CTRL + K.
You won't get a lot done then. The decision of ctrl+k as offence is when you are certain you wouldn't be able to contribute to the offence within the next 30 seconds anyways.
The decision to suicide as defence is when you have someone else watching the flag for your 5-10 seconds af absense from the falg and nothing else is going on. Speed that this game has, every second counts. The suicide is not a no-brainer.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
I'm not saying that this is a good idea, but perhaps it might make others think of something somehow.

In a video game I play, the main character has nanites in their blood to heal damage. The energy of those nanites is the health bar, and by defeating enemies, you absorb some of their nanites, increasing your maximum life after a time.

What if that was the justification used for a vampirical effect that would automatically happen upon the death of someone? You would see a series of particles fly towards you and heal you (if you had taken damage).

This has issues as it could make it too easy for one good player to own the enemy base, but its an idea.
This sounds a little overpowered. If health were to be regained by killing opponents, for the sake of teamwork and for balance, it should be something that can be physically picked up, rather than something that just flows into the player that started pounding a base. With the pickup method, base defense can, if necessary, take the health drops before the offense can take it, thus hampering the offense's effectiveness. In a game like legions, or any online shooter, health regen should be easily interrupted.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Yeah, like I said, just an idea...

At any rate, would you be able to shoot the health drops to launch them towards/away from yourself? If so, I'd assume you'd want it like the flag where the rockets don't impact them, allowing you to shoot through them.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
That makes sense. Having the health drops act like the flag would make it easier to get use to the behavior once players realize that keeping them away from enemies is a good thing.

Really, why would health recharge be put away? It would just unbalance the game. The game would look totaly different, just because of a small change. Health recharging is crutial in ctf-tactics and the distribution of roles.

MJ1284

LO is not supposed to camp in enemy base whole time, he's supposed to distract enemy defenders when capper is about to reach flag. Camping & respawn killing is surefire way to scare off newbloods, removing health regeneration would atleast make it harder to camp in enemy base all day long *flashback of half the enemy team camping inside our base on Raindance, with Inventory Station deployed... fun?*.

Not to mention rabbiting, removing health regen would SURELY hamper rabbiting

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Okay, so I've got new specifics about my current idea for the health regen system I've been proposing. So, the segmented passive health regen in thirds stays the same. Then for a mixture of ammo reload health regen and health drops with the following restrictions. A player can only pick up a set health percentage regeneration pack from an ammo reload station (a 'freebie' health pack) if their health is all the way down to the last segment. If their health is in the second segment, they can get all the way up to 67% through passive regen, so then if they want to bump their health up to 100%, then they use health drops from dead players.
MJ, I too am frustrated by rabbiting. I learned, through personal experience, that it isn't a great tactic because while a player is out of the base leading a merry chase, the flag can be returned and gone. However, if a player has the flag, they can't regen health with the system back in IA, and I don't think that there's any reason to change that.

MJ1284

mausgang: I'd alter your suggestion a bit. Instead of segments, I'd prefer that each time a person gets hit they're max. health regen drops progessively, until you return to home base and refill your ammunition on your Ammo Box/Inventory Station (as they were called in T***** <- censored so that Mabel won't hang my hiney on the wall).
For example, you get hit by couple (2-3*) chaingun bullets but you get away, now you can only regenerate up to 95 % of your max health. Let's say you get into a duel after that, you get hit by couple more bullets (this time 4-7*) but you still emerged victorious. After sustaining these injuries you can regenerate up to 80 % of your max health. This will continue to go down until you go to your Ammo Box/Inventory Station to refill ammo and have your battlesuit repaired. Do note that suit repair time would depend on how many hits you've taken so far, also, you can't get your suit repaired if you're carrying the flag.

*As usual, I'm making up these numbers.. might need some tweaking to make them viable.

Not only would this discourage rabbiting, it would also hinder LO's base camping... and it would also encourage people to actually pass the flag on PUB matches.

if a player has the flag, they can't regen health with the system back in IA

Unless they drop the flag for couple seconds, then they could regenerate up to full health, grab the flag and resume rabbiting at full health. And believe me, it happened ALOT on maps bigger than Nivosus.

LO times with cappers. You are not suppose to be there all the time, tho good players tend to be everywhere where they are needed(it's called flag awarness and game sense).
Well they still have time too recharge health. Ok, they are not supposed to stay in the enemy base, but they are still 'camping' a lot of the time.

Deskari

Here's a crazy idea. How about you all just kill the LO? If anything, you guys can resort to the Homingun method by constantly throwing yourself at them until you finally wear them down.

Serket

Here's a crazy idea. How about you all just kill the LO? If anything, you guys can resort to the Homingun method by constantly throwing yourself at them until you finally wear them down.

Just tell someone else to take your place in defense for a bit while you take care of the camper and then return to base to resume your role, exactly how I think it should be played. Besides like Disci says, as a player you should always think the position where you can help your team the most depending on the current situation: noone at base to defend? You take on defense then. Not enought firepower in offense or capper having too much trouble getting the flag? You should go help in offence. But COMMUNICATING with your team, be it by the key commands or by voice, to coordinate the efforts.

MJ1284

Just tell someone else to take your place in defense...

If we'd live in a perfect world, that's how it would work. However, do note that roughly 90% of PUBbers can't arse to listen anybody and goes fraghunting.. either that or someone spams [Cover Me!] while they daringly (stupidly) llama the flag.. and die miserably 5 seconds later.

So yeah, working base defense in public game? Fat chance.

Serket

If we'd live in a perfect world, that's how it would work. However, do note that roughly 90% of PUBbers can't arse to listen anybody and goes fraghunting.. either that or someone spams [Cover Me!] while they daringly (stupidly) llama the flag.. and die miserably 5 seconds later.

So yeah, working base defense in public game? Fat chance.

Oops, sorry, forgot a little point here, that when I used to play it was team dethmatch for the most part, and you didn't need that much coordination, so sorry for bringing that up.
But I also played a few games of ctf now and then, and those were always PUB's, and in my experience just having game awareness and a little bit of communication with the other players (even if they were quick chat spammers) helped my team win a fair bit of the time, so Disci's point applies.

Oops, sorry, forgot a little point here, that when I used to play it was team dethmatch for the most part, and you didn't need that much coordination, so sorry for bringing that up.
But I also played a few games of ctf now and then, and those were always PUB's, and in my experience just having game awareness and a little bit of communication with the other players (even if they were quick chat spammers) helped my team win a fair bit of the time, so Disci's point applies.
But not in legions. Pub's in legions are one big mess ;)

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Once again, I'm not really against health drops, but I'm not really for them either... I guess another option might be to enable some sort of "repair cycle" where you're jets/OD would be offline and energy is drained for a while during which time you regen health. Let's say that for every 5% of energy used, 2% of your health is repaired with it being an over time process...

Its not terribly different from the current system, but since you would only be able to regen in increments (because you'd run out of energy), it would force you to be safe when you do so. Not only that, but since it would burn energy, it would prevent camping at the enemy base because you'd be relatively immobile while healing.

LO is not supposed to camp in enemy base whole time, he's supposed to distract enemy defenders when capper is about to reach flag. Camping & respawn killing is surefire way to scare off newbloods, removing health regeneration would atleast make it harder to camp in enemy base all day long *flashback of half the enemy team camping inside our base on Raindance, with Inventory Station deployed... fun?*.

Not to mention rabbiting, removing health regen would SURELY hamper rabbiting

meh, rabbiting hasnt been a problem in legions for a long time now.