phanakapan is back!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by phanakapan, Dec 21, 2010.

1. phanakapan

phanakapan Private Tester

What's going on in here?

2. DeadPixel

DeadPixel Member

OMG It's phanapakan. Man MJ will be Proud to see you. This is the update.
    The last site ran by Crash (Ian Tornhey) closed because of funding and other issues. Some members of the community decided to keep the fire burning and legions is now a Stand alone client that you can play!

3. Daphinicus

Daphinicus Private Tester

Legions is what's known as an FPS+Z game: a first-person shooter in which you can move freely along the "Z" axis (vertically). Like a lot of other multiplayer FPS games, you can choose your loadouts from a selection of different weapons and armors when you start, and each of those loadouts give you different benefits -- generally, heavier armors have less mobility, but are tougher to hit and can use more weapons, and each of the weapons fill different niches, or roles.

It's really the "+Z" element of the "FPS+Z" that makes Legions fairly unique. It allows users to move at almost unparalleled speeds, fly through the air, and "ski" down hills and up slopes to accelerate to well over 100 miles per hour with ease, on large, outdoor maps with rolling hills and towering structures.

It's the sort of game that really needs to be played to be understood, but it has a fairly steep learning curve. Don't worry if you die a lot at first, and don't be afraid to ask for help! The community is full of people that would be more than happy to lend you a hand.

[Edit: Gosh darnit, are you old school? I just went through that whole thing for nothing, didn't I? Grumble grumble. =)]

4. WildFire

WildFire Warrior of Linux

I just read all of the above post, and I'm now officially rolling on the floor laughing :)

5. Daphinicus

I hate you, I hate you, I hate you all with a smoldering rage like unto the deepest, magma-filled pits of the Earth.

I thought Phan's name looked familiar.

[Edit: And hey, HEY! That was NOT the original title of the thread! It USED to be "What is Legions?" for goodness sakes!]

6. hat3d_on3

hat3d_on3 New Member

Well, he got you good!

7. Redvan

Redvan Private Tester

hay phannypants \o/

8. Disci

Disci Old man

Ahahahaahh, phan's been around over 12 years already. :cool:

Hi phanakapan really good to see you!

9. Daphinicus

I'm so bad -- SO bad -- with names. I don't recognize anyone until I see them in-game. Then I'm all, "Oh, yeah, you! I've played with you! You're... you're THAT guy!"

10. A2

A2 Member

Lol ohai Phan

11. ContingencyPl4n

ContingencyPl4n Elite Pro Mapmaker

Holy hell, Phan what's up bro? Been missin you ragin at nubs.

Glad to see you returned.

12. Deskari

Deskari Member

Actually the Z element in Tribes and Legions is limited in comparison to games like Descent and Shattered Horizon. It is not the Z element that makes them unique, but rather the combination of the jet packs and the skiing. Also, don't worry about Phanakapan, hes not afraid to die, he does it alot. Plus, this is a game that happens to reward dying.

On another note, check out this awesome video!!! http://vimeo.com/2282239

Underpowered My Ass!!! LOLOLOL

13. MJ1284

MJ1284 Member

Ah, The King has returned. All hail Phana!

14. Daphinicus

Fair point, although I wouldn't call Descent an FPS. Still, I should have clarified.

15. OmniNept

OmniNept Actionaut

But I do like the music.

16. phanakapan

phanakapan Private Tester

man I wish the old sniper mechanics would come back. nerf the damage all to hell, but let me OD snipe again :(

17. Buhlitz

Buhlitz Member

Fan of Cappin. ;)

18. moronval

moronval Private Tester

Phanakapansy heart heart heart

19. Jordahan

Jordahan World Leader of The 21st Century

Hey cutie, how come you never called?