OSniping Accusations ......

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Don't go around telling people how to play the game without knowing how to do it yourself. Damn, wtf is wrong with you "o-sniping is useless" -crowd. Metreon seems to be very nice person and imho heaps more intelligent than majority in here. He clearly understands why people are playing this game and has lots of good points in his recent post.

Don't be a dick and repeat the same false mantra all the *dance* faces in here has learned in the past and are shouting it out loud on the servers when ever they get taken down by a sniper near their own base.
Okay, Metreon is making some good points, I do some of that but I wouldn't call all of that Osniping. When the LO and cappers are incoming, and you're softening them, that's defensive sniping. Taking out the LO in your own base is obviously not Osniping. However, when there is nothing happening and you just decided park in a sniper tower and take potshots at the enemy team, that's Osniping, where nothing you do will truly make an impact on how your capper will come out of a run at the base.

Osniping, on the other hand, IS useful in standoff situations, I'll grant that. I, as a sniper, would feel perfectly justified in skiing over to the enemy base and and sniping their base defense and flag carrier and try to keep the enemy off a dropped flag. I usually don't, though, because I just think I can be more useful as a defensive asset.

Metreon does practice offensive sniping in times where it isn't viable and is wasting resources because most of the time, the people who are standing still are other snipers. They will just move to a point that isn't visible from the osniper's location and continue to be on watch, so he could help his team more by helping cut through the LO infestation at his own base.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Thread's kinda going in circles, so I'll lock it up here. Still, some decent reading in here.

If anyone still wants to discuss the topic (and bring something new to the thread) just shoot me a PM and I'll reopen it.

Karnage

Private Tester
Lol Disci, by telling me how to play you just nullified your own argument. I quote: "Your best way is not always the most effective way." And anyway, I have never said that shooting the flag carrier is o-sniping.

Metreon, despite our differences, I find you likeable and have no beef with you. I like that we can keep this about the issues and not make it personal.

Immanent

@Disci
Dude do you have any proper etiquette? You should NEVER personalize this, it just turns into a hate fest, and yes a lock should and I am quite sure will have a lock impending.

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
Dude do you have any proper etiquette? You should NEVER personalize this, it just turns into a hate fest, and yes a lock should and I am quite sure will have a lock impending.

You'd be surprised how many arguments get personal in this community. Carnage has the most etiquette in the world, because he argues right. They both make good points without getting under each other's skin.

Back on topic, the reason it was locked in the first place was because of derailment. You are contributing.

Disci

Old man
Lol Disci, by telling me how to play you just nullified your own argument. I quote: "Your best way is not always the most effective way." And anyway, I have never said that shooting the flag carrier is o-sniping.

Read my post again. I never said how you should play this game. I don't know how the hell you get something this silly out of that quote. Are you telling me, that you're never wrong?

Shooting the carrier that is at their base holding the flag is infact O-sniping. That's because it's offensive sniping, not midfield sniping or defense sniping.

@Disci

The hate was already there. I was not the one who started it.

Metreon

GENTLEMEN. (and ladies, if any.)

Those who perpetuate a pointless squabble are as guilty as those who start it.
There's no point in continuing this talk until we are all cooled down and capable of talking civilly.
Do what I did. Log out, cool your jets, and drink some BEER. Beer is good.

Want to flame? That's what 4chan is for.

*GLUG GLUG GLUG*

Karnage

Private Tester
Disci, despite his inability to talk in a civil way, has a point. We are talking about a specific form of sniping where the sniper camps somewhere without moving and just shoots into the enemy base pretty much all game long. Perhaps we should stop calling that o-sniping, as that term encompasses far more than what I described above. Our other thread, where we were trying to work on a definition has been locked for some unfathomable reason. Perhaps we should call this thing something like 'snipe-camping' although that is a bit clumsy. Any other suggestions are welcome. *braces himself for the inevitable bad jokes*

Metreon

I do see a point there. And perhaps a nomenclature change might not be a bad idea. To me, offensive sniping implies that the tactic has offensive value, as opposed to simply shooting at whatever pops up. Back in the old sniper days, I heard the terms greifsniping, n00bsniping, and spawnsniping fly around on occasion. Perhaps one of those could be used for the less desirable methods of osniping.

(Civility has returned! Yay!)

Karnage

Private Tester
Haha. Hooray for civility. Yeah, those are interesting terms. Not sure they really apply though, do you?

Further to your 'misunderstanding' of the word offensive, I have actually used that ambiguity in pugs by saying things like: "You're offensive, why don't you play LO." Teehee. Nobody ever gets it though. Sigh.

Metreon

Hah... well, I suppose you do have a point. Greifing implies one is doing it solely to annoy people, n00bsniping because of one being (or behaving like) a n00b, and spawnsniping referring to that specific act. I suppose one could think of it as being a turret (I remember a certain colorful clan leader back in the IA days constantly saying I was just that.)

QOTD from a teammate I had a couple days ago: "Lazer buttsecks- 'tis better to give than receive." :cool: