Votes: 4 9.8%
  • ATL

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CHI

Votes: 15 36.6%

• Total voters

Armageddon

Teapot
Since i'm back into legions and my CS:S server is ending on the 31st I've decided to put back up my linode server or servers since Xzan wrote a pretty easy to follow tut for ded server setup.

I'm hoping to be able to run 2 servers smoothly but one for sure. So help me pick a location that works for everyone.

SNAKEOPS

Poiuyt has a NY one but I heard there were problems with it so you should totally do NY. Not baised.

There's already another NY server, It's called something like, "NY Dedicated Server". Maybe Illinois as it is in the middle of USA. ET servers seem to be down, because it hasn't been updated yet. The ET leader said he has left the responsibility of the ET servers to one of the staff members. ET being california, Hotswap being in texas, 2 dedicated servers in NY, and there's none up north. Midwest states like maybe montana, or something like that would be good. It would also offer low pings to canadian players.

So my recommendation would be Montana, for canadian players or Nebraska and Iowa as they're in the middle of USA.

Jaymyster

Message to Euros: If you're going to vote for an east coast server for better ping, vote for NJ, better to all pick one server than to divide between NJ and NY, plus NJ's already ahead of NY (at least currently)

Reactions: Vox

SNAKEOPS

Message to Euros: If you're going to vote for an east coast server for better ping, vote for NJ, better to all pick one server than to divide between NJ and NY, plus NJ's already ahead of NY (at least currently)

I don't get why vote for those states. There's already 2 servers for those NY. One dedicated server which runs smoothly as hotswap, and another by poiuyt. Plus, NJ is a neighboring state of NY. It's like voting for Texas Hotswap or Louisiana. The states are both not small, for sure. But the difference in ping is minimal.

Jaymyster

I don't get why vote for those states. There's already 2 servers for those NY. One dedicated server which runs smoothly as hotswap, and another by poiuyt. Plus, NJ is a neighboring state of NY. It's like voting for Texas Hotswap or Louisiana. The states are both not small, for sure. But the difference in ping is minimal.

I'm not in the states right now so I'm not sure how smoothly the current NY server is running. But the last NY server I remember stealth setting up was giving me 45-50 ping (which is actually unusually high when you live in NJ right below), so in my perspective, NY is like Chicago in terms of ping basically. That's the only reason why I personally would prefer NJ. Idk, maybe the NY server that linode offers is in north NY.(though once more I don't know how the current server is running so meh) That's not to take away from the fact that my support of the NJ server is completely based on biased motives for my own gameplay (as is everyone elses). It's almost impossible for one to not vote for a server closest to where they live :p

SNAKEOPS

I'm not in the states right now so I'm not sure how smoothly the current NY server is running. But the last NY server I remember stealth setting up was giving me 45-50 ping (which is actually unusually high when you live in NJ right below), so in from perspective NY is like Chicago in terms of ping basically. That's the only reason why I personally would prefer NJ. Idk, maybe the NY server that linode offers is in north NY.(though once more I don't know how the current server is running so meh) That's not to take away from the fact that my support of the NJ server is completely based on biased motives for my own gameplay (as is everyone elses). It's almost impossible for one to not vote for a server closest to where they live :p

I get 50 ping in NY server, same as in hotswap. I live in Minnesota. And it's true, everyone gotta consider themselves as a factor too. No one likes playing with shitty ping. But, it'd be nice to have servers at all corners of USA and center of it too.

poiuyt580

Poiuyt has a NY one but I heard there were problems with it so you should totally do NY. Not baised.
Out of curiosity, what kind of problems are there? I'll check them out and see if I can fix them.

The NY server is in Buffalo, NY for those interested. That happens to be next to Canada, which would probably explain your ping below.
Also, assuming you're referencing the "[NY] Dedicated Server" and "[NY] Super Fun Mode"...they're both mine. Well that must be awkward seeing as one runs better than the other.
I get 50 ping in NY server, same as in hotswap. I live in Minnesota. And it's true, everyone gotta consider themselves as a factor too. No one likes playing with shitty ping. But, it'd be nice to have servers at all corners of USA and center of it too.

Jaymyster

The NY server is in Buffalo, NY for those interested. That happens to be next to Canada, which would probably explain your ping below.

Well there you have it people, if you're living in NYC or in the south area of NY, the NJ server is actually much closer to you.

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
NJ is always nice for me + good ol' Euros don't ping terribly to it. Chicago is probably the best pick in terms of equity, but I'm "baised" (in the immortal words of Ucan) towards NJ.

loc

#1 Private Tester
I played on Poiuyts server last night and it was the first night in a month that I was able to play lag free,was nice :)
Voted for Chicago!

SNAKEOPS

Also, assuming you're referencing the "[NY] Dedicated Server" and "[NY] Super Fun Mode"...they're both mine. Well that must be awkward seeing as one runs better than the other.

Well, i don't have the best fps, and im using wireless. when everyone uses mortar jumping and stuff, stuff's bound to get my comp crazy.

Armageddon

Teapot
Montana is probably a definite no since most hosts don't offer it as a location. Most hosts offer what I've listed since they are "major" datacenter areas. I voted for VA being that it's only 45 mins from my house, but looking at it from a community stand point NJ/CHI would probably be fair for all. I think i remember hotswap being hosted from Chi at one time and it wasn't too bad and Nj has always been a good spot no matter what game i've run from that location. Either way the vote will go on until next friday so everyone will get to chime in on it. Thanks for the input/feedback.

JCARTEL

Private Tester
I voted VA too, due for being a central east coast location. I live in Denver so really anywhere in the lower 48 and it's only a 10-20 ping difference.;)

Armageddon

Teapot
I just talked to support at nfoservers.com who had hosted my CS:S server for a few months and he's going to hopefully be able to setup my vps server which is able to host up to* 4 counter-strike 1.6 servers, how that compares to legions i'm not sure yet so i'll start with 2 16v16. I'm going to try Chi first but if at any time i want to switch locations it's no problem. I hope to have at least 2 servers up tomorrow granted everything goes right tonight.

Armageddon

Teapot
After a little trouble lastnight the VDS is running, hopefully i'll have the servers up shortly.

IP: 216.52.143.110 for the VDS

NJ is great for the time period between Euros and West coast. I've had problems in the past with NY servers. Would be nice to see a test for Euros and Central coasters to NJ vs NY.

I played on Poiuyts server last night and it was the first night in a month that I was able to play lag free,was nice :)
Voted for Chicago!

There is a problem with the NY dedicated server. I think the issue is due to the player counts. With very low player counts, I get 40-60ms ping. Not bad. When there's more players, maybe 10+, my ping and everyone else's jump up ~40ms. I don't think I go lower then 80 in these cases.