New Map Themes

Nvidia

The moon map you are talkin about was "One small step" and i would LOVE to see it coming to Legions: Overdrive
(after Core at 3:20)

MightySheep

I cant think of anything else which would be hilly and good for legions other than sand, dirt/grass and snow

maybe u could do more alien worlds with crazy atmospheres and red surface or something (like mars)

after all it is futuristic

also- that one small step was a decent map +1 to seeing it in overdrive

Diamondragan

Short and sweet since I had something typed and my computer went sour...ugh.

New maps are the most likely of new content and likely the most accepted amongst players. That in mind, we need a single thread in which to hold a list of themes and small details as concept for such new maps. In the future I will edit this post to accommodate any new suggestions to make it easier to see everything.

I suggest:
  • Cooled lava theme. The Core features heated lava, so I thought it would be interesting to have a mostly underground map composed of lava tubes.
  • Bright grassy theme. Moonshine has dark green grass and a lot of dark buildings and structures. This would feature harmless, shallow water (as in a river or the like) and low rolling hills with light green grass and sand-tone exposed rock faces.
  • Asteroid theme. This would take quite a lot of work, even considering I know nothing about how maps are made. Every once in a while the map would move everyone in the same direction, as though the asteroid were spinning. I think features like that in a map would make for interesting gameplay, but only if it is possible.
Fellow posters suggest:
  • Just having interactive maps would be interesting. Have a map that's undergoing a meteor shower. You get hit, you lose health. Nothing major, just enough to make you want to look up every now and then.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Just having interactable maps would be interesting. Have a map that's undergoing a meteor shower. You get hit, you lose health. Nothing major, just enough to make you want to look up every now and then.

Diamondragan

Merged two similar threads into one; such is the power of Seymour!
I'm going to steal the Staff of Armadyl and banish you to some place...idk but I want that power!
biggrin.png

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
I'm going to steal the Staff of Armadyl and banish you to some place...idk but I want that power! :D

Hohohohoho! Merging threads is but one of Seymour's many talents!

Anyhow, to get back on topic, I wouldn't mind seeing a space/moon-style setting, it would be really different from anything that's available right now, and those videos of One Small Step looked pretty cool.

Also, Seymour's a big fan of your bright, happy, grass theme. Most of the landscapes that are available now are kinda depressing (or cold, like winter cold), so something a bit brighter would be a nice change of pace. Maybe even a tropical setting! There was a video of a Torque based tropical island (I think it was a T3D demo), I really liked that island.

Jazcash

I think a moon map would work well, more like crater or something though perhaps. With a core-ish like surface with lots of different sized craters here and there with some funky moon bases. Perhaps decrease gravity on it by like 5-10% or something.

Daphinicus

Private Tester
Perhaps decrease gravity on it by like 5-10% or something.

Low gravity in more contemporary FPS games (e.g., Unreal Tournament) means you still run just as fast, but jumping's a little funky. That's not a huge issue, because the core gameplay there is surface-based. Not so for Legions; core gameplay for us is aerial. Gimmicks on maps are one thing; gimmicks that transform fundamental gameplay are something else.

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
Water elements :D?
The GDC one skips to 1:18 if don't like watching the whole thing ;).

voraga is dead - the person who made it (can't remember who) broke it "irreparably"
as for the second video.... what the hell? what is that and if that's an early version of legions then how did it turn out so different and so much smaller, and with no water?

one small step sounds like it would be great fun, but i think it would need quite a bit of changing to stop it from being unbalanced (think of people getting from one base to the other in mere seconds)

lastly i love the suggested maps... just not the pictures.

moon - change in gravity would be silly.... but maybe inside a GIANT moon station... think project eden styled domes, with different compartments (maybe even different environments)
city - like, but just HAS to be a post apocalyptic city, maybe leading to to some lore for you lore-nerds
tropical islands - WANT, but how would water be handled? maybe just shallow water, and it must have some cool effect such as water flying up behind you like this -

Jazcash

Low gravity in more contemporary FPS games (e.g., Unreal Tournament) means you still run just as fast, but jumping's a little funky. That's not a huge issue, because the core gameplay there is surface-based. Not so for Legions; core gameplay for us is aerial. Gimmicks on maps are one thing; gimmicks that transform fundamental gameplay are something else.

A 5-10% difference wouldn't be enough to change the fundamental aspect of the gameplay, but would be enough to give the map a different vibe to make it feel more spacey.

Daphinicus

Private Tester
A 5-10% difference wouldn't be enough to change the fundamental aspect of the gameplay, but would be enough to give the map a different vibe to make it feel more spacey.

It would probably be worth testing, just so we know for sure.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
A 5-10% difference wouldn't be enough to change the fundamental aspect of the gameplay [...]
Oh you have no idea how much that would affect the game. Movement physics in Leejunz are incredibly finicky.

Ninja'd.

Jazcash

Oh you have no idea how much that would affect the game. Movement physics in Leejunz are incredibly finicky.

Ninja'd.

Hmm, I imagined it wouldn't be much different from giving Raiders the movement of Outriders... I mean, just decreasing weights of the units rather than decreasing the map gravity itself would work too depending on what variables it uses to define such movements.