My rule and I hope you learn it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahidhar

@ Mahidhar:

You can keep up with that long as you want, I'm fine with it long as you're not grieving ingame. But don't expect earning much respect with that "Shove it up yer hooter!" attitude.
Player quality > player quantity, if it takes 5vs7 to keep things interesting then I'd rather see that instead of 6vs6.
Surely, you would. But, I'd say players shouldn't really bother with such things, when they're there just to play a game or two and leave(or until Gorge shows up). Exactly why I proposed, that the game should do all the balancing. This way you'd know clearly who is disrupting the game by switching.

If you carefully look at my post, I said "People don't give crap" not "I don't give crap". Hey, I agree with what you guys are saying, but I'm just stating the truth, in the end, nobody's gonna care. Maybe the few lot of you, who know each other, but other than that, don't expect much.

Armageddon

Teapot
Hrrmm Hrrmmm Marshmallows anyone?

Also i pub balls to the wall, i figure if you're going to play Pub or Pug you might aswell do it all the way.

OmniNept

Actionaut
More perceptive than thou, definitely; holier than thou, though? Hardly. In fact, I'm sure you just gave Daphinicus a chuckle.

I thought my point was obvious: that you missed the gist of Outlawl's argument. You used hyperbole to make light of his position, as you perceived it. You perceived it wrong, though, and I used hyperbole to make that obvious. Or so I thought.

Outlawl isn't stating “that unless you're playing completely seriously about CTF, you shouldn't be playing a pub”. He's stating “that pub players don't typically play poorly, just for kicks. There's no effort switch flicked to 30% upon entering a pub server; people may not play “pug serious”, but they'll typically play somewhat seriously”. And I imagine you, Jack, weren't saying that you sabotage pubs by intentionally playing poorly. Unfortunately, that's how Outlawl took your initial statement; then you mistook his, and that's how this entire debacle unfolded.

Jack said:
It was slightly unclear, but common sense ought to have kicked in. (and you mean latter).
If we're quibbling, then no, I mean preceding – as in the sentence preceding mine, as in “Existing or coming before another or others in time, place, rank, or sequence; previous”. The sentence was in a quote, yes, but “common sense ought to have kicked in”. In fact, using “latter” and “former” would've been downright incorrect, as the first sentence wasn't technically the “former”.

Also, no, common sense doesn't always kick in when someone's emotionally charged; elsewise, you may've noticed that you and Outlawl were misinterpreting each other's points.

Personal attacks aside, the crux of my post remains: Noone's saying you have to try super-serious hard during pubs. Outlawl's stating that while the environment is less competitive, most Legions players do try – to some extent – during pubs. And pubs, while less competitive than pugs, have the potential to become challenging, skill-building games. Almost all of what followed (and even Outlawl's initial post) was a result of misinterpretation, on both your parts.

Settled? Good.

Now onto the second point, and onto more personal attacks. I actually enjoy people responding in such a manner, since whenever I start something similar, Daphinicus and Brit-Nazi edit my posts.

First, the point: Pubs provide potentially fun, challenging games with an opportunity for skill development as large as that of pugs.

Second, the personal attacks:
Jack said:
Irony++. Okay, remind me how you think a pub and a pub that has your team (because you called them into the server) on opposite sides are remotely similar? And now you are going to use that latter definition to set up the rest of your argument, rofl. If you noticed, I said, "decent clan member" earlier.

While I did provide anecdotal evidence at the end of my post, I did so with a disclaimer; I didn't attempt, as you did, to pass off “ask so-and-so” as fact. Also, there's no false precision in my post. Coincidentally, there's no irony – and certainly not irony to the plus plus! I suppose you could call my perceptual skills into question, as you did previously, but I've already debunked that bit.

Also, no, I'm not going to use that “latter definition to set up the rest of [my] argument, rofl”. I used that example as evidence that pubs can be skillful. All it takes are some skilled players; and in terms of developing positional skill, one or two friends can do the trick. Are you not in TS most of the time, anyway? Could you not ask a couple friends to hop in and run routes? Maybe ask them to play LD against your routes? Snipe? HoF? Again, you'd be surprised at how few “serious playing” playing it takes to get a good pub going.

Jack said:
Wait, so you actually think it wasn't remarkably obvious that those were made up statistics? Really? Really?

/Mabel Voice REEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLYYYY??!!!

Yes, it was remarkably obvious that those were made up statistics. That's sort of the point of the false precision fallacy. False precision. False. It's not called the fudging data fallacy. There's a reason people say “Most so and so do so and so”, instead of “96% of so and so do so and so”. I'll leave that reason for you to figure out.

Jack said:
Now that you realize how obvious that is, think about the intent of them. As I said, you can talk to any T1 LT pickup player, and they'll have the same exact story. And it's incredibly obvious - night and day. People who've been terrible for years (literally), get much much better after playing pickups for a month.

Thinking about the intent of your false precision fallacy doesn't alter your massively anecdotal evidence. Guess what? There's also a reason we don't cite anecdotal evidence as fact. Go reread my paragraph.

Jack said:
What are you arguing? I completely agree.
That's cute. No, Jack, your initial point was that skills increase much more quickly while playing pugs. I stated “You're also oversimplifying skill development by relegating it to the realm of positional play”. I'd ask you to reread the paragraph, but since you're in so much of a huff, I'll reiterate here: there are many skills to be developed in Legions, of which playing particular positions are only a few. Certain skills, such as DM'ing, are better learned in the pub environment. You'd argue that others, such as LD and chase are better learned in a pug environment. That's dubious, though, especially if you've a friend or two willing to pub against you.

My overarching point is that pubs can be skillful and can develop skills as quickly, or more quickly, than do pugs. It all depends on your opposition, and on the willingness of players to actually play.

So, no – I don't agree with your previous posts, and if you'll take the time to read mine and understand their points (instead of responding in a huff), that'll become obvious. Cute, though. Also, I wasn't aware you considered yourself a top player. That's cool :passive-Aggressive Smiley Face:.

P.S. Attempt to address the post as a whole in the future, instead of picking particular lines to which you believe you've smarmy responses. The latter results in poor debate, as the main points are often lost in flames.

Jack

I still contend that you are misunderstanding parts of my posts, but I do agree that you "beat" me, and I apologize for the personal attacks.

I don't quite understand the "responding in such a huff", because if that's referring to cutting​
the post down to manageable portions (I'm on a laptop, and I'm not sure yet if there's a function to expand the Reply textbox").​
Even a 30th percentile PU player could get 15+ capper kills in the public server (aptly named, "Shithole"). At 90th percentile, you get 30+. Every Pub-->PU player was 5x better after playing 1/5 the amount of time in PUs than pubs.
Alone, the preceding sentence may've been taken as intended – as “relative to their earlier selves” - but combined with the first sentence and its implications (that public servers are shitholes, with *chocolate cookies* players), a different interpretation is suggested.

It was slightly unclear, but common sense ought to have kicked in. (and you mean latter).
I mean preceding. The sentence was in a quote, yes, but “common sense ought to have kicked in”.

Actually, can you explain this? I am trying to work through it. "Even a 30th percentile PU player could get 15+ capper kills in the public server (aptly named, "Shithole")." How can this be interpreted as "relative to themselves"? Isn't that not a relative statement? The only sentence with relative (agreed on fake precision) is the last one (hence latter, though not technically correct anyway).

That's cute. No, Jack, your initial point was that skills increase much more quickly while playing pugs. I stated “You're also oversimplifying skill development by relegating it to the realm of positional play”. I'd ask you to reread the paragraph, but since you're in so much of a huff, I'll reiterate here: there are many skills to be developed in Legions, of which playing particular positions are only a few. Certain skills, such as DM'ing, are better learned in the pub environment. You'd argue that others, such as LD and chase are better learned in a pug environment. That's dubious, though, especially if you've a friend or two willing to pub against you.
My overarching point is that pubs can be skillful and can develop skills as quickly, or more quickly, than do pugs. It all depends on your opposition, and on the willingness of players to actually play.

It's simple ROI. I can try home d against the random pubstar (and all the non-stars), or I can try it against Unknown. Now do that for a month. Tell me who is better.
I will guarantee you that unless there is a pickup/decent clan player playing defense on the other side in a pub, unknown, rock, dimitryy, homingun will grab on every route they run.

Yes, my initial point was yes, PUs/teams (I will be sure to mention these every time) are the way to go. Because, at this point in the game, most of the better players play in those, and the average quality is better. If you don't know who those players are, you won't find people who you can isolate specific situations in practice with. The two quotes above show I completely agree with you that it is the opposition that's important, and those are not a PU setting per se. I disagree with equating a pub with no interference by bringing friends in, and a pub with bringing friends in, because the second could just as easily have been a private server, and you'd get just as much out. It's not the virtue of the pub - it's the product of you actively endeavoring to surround yourself with outside good people every time you play (sounds much more like a pickup).

So, essentially you absolutely agree with me, but you just want to make it clear that you are a top player too.
"too" refers to "agree" and "want to make".

Also, I wasn't aware you considered yourself a top player.

Propkid

So yes, it's still their faults, it's just not always intentional.
Not that I have anything against you in particular, your thread was even on topic and all; I just grabbed a quote I needed.

JEZUS CHRIST people! It's not about who is to blame for the situation in PuBs because that does not matter at all in this thread. Also,

Pubs will always be pretty bad. It's just on a relative scale. If you really care about winning, you should be playing pickups.

It's not about whether pubs are bad or not and its definitively not about caring about winning. At least not for us. Jeez if you guys intentionally all head off-topic then it'll like explaining the ABC...

HellzHere posted a simple solution to the issue of teams being imbalanced in PUBs. Instead of discussing/evaluating the solution, most of this thread headed off to discussing whether we should care about the issue of imbalance or not. The answer is quite simple; I'm not sure why didn't the devs point it out to you yet but at the moment PUBs are not what they should be. They should be way more newblood-friendly and to do that we need to get the teams to balance out.
A fact: newbloods do get discouraged from playing the game when they are continuously losing and they also do not learn a lot when they are on the OP winning team. You are not meant to discuss the motives behind seeking a solution. If the solution is unnecessary then: a dev will say so (they know way better than you), there will be pretty much nobody arguing for the solution's necessity.
g2g, might continue later.

skypredator

Players don't town down their skills by a significant amount in PuGs, but they sometimes slack off and take it easy after a while. Can we leave it at that? Or am I mistaken?

Dacil

get used to people blowing up crap out of proportion and accusing you of beliefs and views that you never even said. fun stuff.

Daphinicus

Private Tester
More perceptive than thou, definitely; holier than thou, though? Hardly. In fact, I'm sure you just gave Daphinicus a chuckle.

I totally giggled! 'Twas a wonderful moment.

I hope y'all can forgive me if I just wind things down right here, before we find a way to prove Godwin's Law. Nept tends to grind my gears more often than not, but I'm with him on this one; things got twisted, and they got twisted fast. And since, as Prop pointed out, we strayed a bit from the original spirit of this thread, it seems appropriate to shut it down. You can take the argument to a private conversation if you're really desperate. =)

Regarding the original topic: We know it's an issue, and it's one we'd love to correct. Thanks for all the ideas on how to do so!

Status
Not open for further replies.