Mortars

Wisefallen

Look, don't you think you might be exaggerating the TK'ing aspect of the mortar? To be bluntly honest, it doesn't happen all that often. I feel like people get killed a few times by one noob and just come here to rage. And like I said, IT"LL ALL GET BETTER. Soon :). I promise. Next time you get TK'ed remember: "When angry, count ten before you speak; if very angry, a hundred"- Thomas Jefferson.

I think the mortar is very well suited to Pub play. I simply don't see or experience the problems with this weapon some do.

And about increasing the arming time... Wasn't it decreased soon after the mortar was released because the long arming time made it much too difficult to use? Either way, I feel like increasing the arming time would be a terrific way to ruin all potential the weapon has.

Guys Clearly the majority thinks mortar is fine too. So does mortar think itself is fine. The mortar says:Eat Your Peas.
^amen

Look, don't you think you might be exaggerating the TK'ing aspect of the mortar? To be bluntly honest, it doesn't happen all that often. I feel like people get killed a few times by one noob and just come here to rage. And like I said, IT"LL ALL GET BETTER. Soon :). I promise. Next time you get TK'ed remember: "When angry, count ten before you speak; if very angry, a hundred"- Thomas Jefferson.

I think the mortar is very well suited to Pub play. I simply don't see or experience the problems with this weapon some do.

And about increasing the arming time... Wasn't it decreased soon after the mortar was released because the long arming time made it much too difficult to use? Either way, I feel like increasing the arming time would be a terrific way to ruin all potential the weapon has.

^amen
WIse I shall say this again
Eat Your Peas
Cuz clearly as you said We get tk-ed and come here to rage where as you people tk us and try to play cool and smart ,using big words which you people don't even know the meaning of and try to justify your actions. So I'm saying this again EAT YOUR FREAKEN PEAS

HVanquish

It's not even about teamkilling. The fact that you can kill an outrider in ONE SHOT is positively ridiculous. It's also stupid when people MA with it in a group of people and 3 people die. The damage (not the knockback) is stupidly high. Make it rocket damage at most.

Freeman

RAYTANG
It's not even about teamkilling. The fact that you can kill an outrider in ONE SHOT is positively ridiculous. It's also stupid when people MA with it in a group of people and 3 people die. The damage (not the knockback) is stupidly high. Make it rocket damage at most.
THIS.

its kinda bs when that happens.

I know. I step ona mortar and die like wtf..I mean like how can u yo do that D: 100% grabs the A successfuk get away and bam then your dead. What the hell is that. Sent The heavy with Overdrive at anytime and a super massive jumbo kill wep.

Wisefallen

A rocket-damage mortar... now doesn't that sound appealing?! Why don't we just add an option to slow down the RoF on the GL? What a great addition to a HEAVY that would be! [sarcasm, boys and girls]

The point of the mortar is CATASTROPHIC damage. Without the mortar, a Sentinel becomes a mere statue, a sitting duck, if you will, existing only to, on occasion, jet forward and hopefully block an incoming capper, all the while being bombarded by Light Offence more powerful than he. The mortar brings balance to the classes. It forces players to take the lone Sentinel seriously; without it, he is a joke.

There's a concept I'm having trouble elucidating, but I feel as though the mortar adds a necessary component to this game. It's an almost karma-like force; an unaccountable factor that I believe adds a sense of exhilaration and inescapableness. I doubt any of that makes sense but I think the mortar keeps the game from becoming too predictable, mathematical, and strategic. Anyways.

tl/dr: The mortar, by definition, needs to do massive amounts of damage. Heavies need to have HEAVY weaponry.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
People teamkill at the wrong time. [...]
You're implying that there is a right time to teamkill. There isn't.
[...] And about increasing the arming time [...]
Again, it would only affect direct hits. Have a look at the weapon in game. There is a specific time in which the projectile won't explode, but land on the ground and sit there for a bit. Except for direct hits, which go boom immediately. It might be worth a try to increase the arming time for direct hits (as mentioned) to prevent the ultra close ones.
THIS. [...]
THIS is silly.

I'm in complete agreement with gheist's earlier statements.

Also, In regard to those who think the solution is a no/little damage mortar... USoStoopid.
Imagine if it only did the amount of damage a rocket does, and kept a massive knockback. What's to stop a heavy from shooting a mortar to explode just behind their own team's outrider capper. Boom easy 200+ grab: without the high damage consequence.

If it's to have a massive knockback, it needs the massive damage, to prevent abuse from teams. Also, you talk about mortar Spamming HO's in Pubs. What about pugs? Speaking as one who has actually extremely effectively HO'd in a pub with mortars, it was exceedingly good at pissing off the enemy HOF and other defense. That is, until they got their act together and sent multiple defenders to finish me as soon as I arrived. If that could be done to prevent an experienced player HO'ing, what's to stop it from being done to kill some noobish HO in a pub?

Vox

Make it rocket damage at most.

Are you serious? If the damage should go any lower they should at least make it deal 90% to outriders. Rocket damage is too low for a mortar.
Mortars are made to deal high damage. As Gheist said, the only thing that should be changed is the close range midairs with the mortar. Now THOSE are ridiculous.

Disci

Old man
Why is this thread still alive? Buncha gits go outside and talk about butterflies and whatnot.

So what do people think, is it ok to kill your team mates in order to kill flag cappers? For example very common thing I've seen people do is that they lob a mortar on the stand when capper is getting close even there are defender(s) standing next to the flag. This is basicly what I'd love to know.

Personally, the mortar is doing what it's suppose to do.
BLOW THE *chocolate cookies* OUT OF EVERYTHING.
And I see nothing wrong with that.
People will suck balls with it, other people will be pro with it, and stupid people/trolls will TK with it.
Get%2Bover%2Bit%2Blogo%2B%2528red%2529.jpg

^My basic message.

MJ1284

The point of the mortar is CATASTROPHIC friendly fire (on Pubs)
fix'd

So what do people think, is it ok to kill your team mates in order to kill flag cappers? For example very common thing I've seen people do is that they lob a mortar on the stand when capper is getting close even there are defender(s) standing next to the flag. This is basicly what I'd love to know.
Yes and no, depends on situation. If tk'ing defender means preventing 3 cappers then it's fair tradeoff, if tk'ing 6 defenders means "preventing" one llama... it's not a fair tradeoff.

RiPTaCk

Seriously guys the mortar has not even been released in the un-passworded servers. So technically it isn't even available on real Pubs.

And to all those who say the mortar is called mortar so it needs to have heavy damage output blablabla. Come on, that sounds like 12 year old kids arguing about their Pokemon cards. Edit: We could simply change the name into Pink Pony Launcher if mortar doesn't fit you anymore.

And to those who say sent needs to have heavy damage. 80% of current damage is still ridiculuosly high. You still can kill a group of people without any skill.

And to the "Get over it" coolios, this game is still in development there needs to be intel about changes. Just because you think its fine and obviously haven't encountered any problem considering mortar, doesn't allow you to spam this thread trying to look cool with your "Get over it".

Imagine if sometime the player base might increase... and we have full Pubs and then there are already Llamas, Osnipers, constant OD grabbers and now you want to introduce the flag spammers featuring mortar. Good Luck then.

Application-1

test bester
I would just like to remind everyone that the mortar is still something made for HO. To destroy the base assets of the enemy. It is not implemented in the game yet so we can not judge the mortar as it should be now. Yes the damage is alot, considering it at one point should destroy base assets then that make sense. I do not know anything about base assets for when or even if they are coming, I hope they are, but untill that I still have no problems as they are now. But do remember IF the base assets come one day then they will have more sense for the people that don't like them as how it is now.

Does this mean they should wait with replacing the mortar for the cluster till the base assets are here? Probably. But then again it is still on the public test server. So it is still there to test. Even though it feels more that they just cling on this server because there is nothing new to test.

P.S: Grenade changes can be pushed to live!

Wisefallen

I'm struggling to find the real problem people have with the mortar. They're honestly not hard to avoid... I played pretty extensively as an Outrider against Sentinels today and mortars were certainly the least of my problems. That said, mortars are quite powerful, and rightfully so. This game needs a weapon as cataclysmic as the mortar. IMO, it brings the Sentinel up to the level of the other load-outs both in terms of power and playability. It's a delightfully multi-faceted weapon that has strengths and weaknesses just like EVERYTHING ELSE.

I also don't believe the close-range MA is a huge problem, but it might be at higher levels than I have experienced. From what I've seen, even that doesn't need to be adjusted right now, though it may become a problem if it becomes more prevalent across all levels.

I don't think mortars are overpowered and the TK'ing will get better with time =).

Thanks for reminding me of the fact that this is still exploitable by cheap bastiches and has to change (same for suicides).
trying to make me feel bad?

Tribes had it all figured out....Heavy/Juggernaut carried like 5 weapons....one shot of mortar ..your dead.... only reason I'm complaining i get team killed way too often. Maybe make the mortar like a cluster and able to hold it to charge....and release thus reducing rate to kill team mates :3 Or maybe make a new weapon...like vanquish asked ...a knock back weapon...and calling it whatever...every one is happy :3 :cool:

Disci

Old man
Yes and no, depends on situation. If tk'ing defender means preventing 3 cappers then it's fair tradeoff, if tk'ing 6 defenders means "preventing" one llama... it's not a fair tradeoff.

So with that logic people could actually team kill flag carriers if they think they can hold the flag better than the original carrier. What justifies team killing in circumstances like this? Also, how do you define what kind of team killing is allowed and what is not when thinking about situations overall, not just the one I described in my previous post?

trying to make me feel bad?

Tribes had it all figured out....Heavy/Juggernaut carried like 5 weapons....one shot of mortar ..your dead.... only reason I'm complaining i get team killed way too often. Maybe make the mortar like a cluster and able to hold it to charge....and release thus reducing rate to kill team mates :3 Or maybe make a new weapon...like vanquish asked ...a knock back weapon...and calling it whatever...every one is happy :3 :cool:

Best. Ideas. Ever.