Meh Sniper Rifle Joy

Royalty

The Aussie
Well I was in the [LA] Server yesterday, where I ping about 230, and I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed myself whilst playing a game on Moonshine with the RL & LR. Amazingly, my sniping was actually reasonably successful, and I'm sure that some people who were in the server with me would agree. I even managed to snipe Shady a few times, and pulled off numerous clutch snipes on JC.

My point is that with 200 ping, I managed to be somewhat effective with the LR.

I can imagine why the current LR needs nerfing, as it completely OP with low ping, but would the devs ever consider keeping the current LR for people playing with 200 ping or more, as a way of levelling the playing field?

Could this possibly be implemented via a in-server verification system?
Would the devs consider this?

Please don't rant guys.

Fixious

Test Lead
Are you suggesting those with lower ping only have access to the 1.40 sniper, and those with higher have access to the current sniper?

Royalty

The Aussie
Little known fact from the changelog , the sniper got 90% of its 1.3 damage back.
It's not the damage that makes me suggest this, it's that charging up the sniper rifle adds even more delay to those playing with already high ping.

Sin

Private Tester
Can't balance a game on high-pingers bro. I feel your pain...but just can't do that.

Maxter

I can imagine why the current LR needs nerfing, as it completely OP with low ping

I see. So do tell us, what isn't OP in less than 30 ping? Let me explain. The CG is basically a high range metal cutter, SkyBolt becomes a high RoF mini sniper rifle, the Grenade Launcher is a ridiculously accurate super high damage spam machine at close range which shouldn't even exist.

Compared to these monsters, the LR atleast gives a pause. Don't get me wrong here, the LR is easy to hit with in <30 ping, that's true, but the others aren't any less dangerous. People are pointing fingers at the sniper rifle way too much and forgetting about other problems like the Grenade Launcher OPness and the annoying but highly abused RL+CL hotswap combo bug.

It's not so hard to get snipes in 200 ping, but it's harder to score a 150m MA with a rocket launcher at that ping. That's because the sniper is a hit scan. The distance doesn't matter, all you do is keep your reticle sightly ahead and snipe. Not to boast, but I did that in 350 ping, even clutch sniped St3lth once in one of our LA practices, when he was about to capture.

Rendering a sniper ineffective is also not so difficult. When you were sniping Royalty, I bet no one was knocking you from your position when you were getting that clean shot. Sure, occasionally you get attacked, but not when you were just about to get that shot. I do that to enemy snipers when I play in pubs with my cluster launcher. It doesn't take skill to nudge a sniper off his perch when he's just about to get a nice shot, even a boost grenade will do. But the problem in pubs is, rarely do team mates actually communicate with you and distract the sniper for you. So if you're a capper and are getting sniped, you feel alone and helpless against him as none of your teammates are helping you distract him while you go for the flag. Hence, you tend to get annoyed and conclude that the LR is OP.

The OHKO sniper rifle from IA also felt OP back then, because there wasn't much else to use or point at during that time. Now, there are so many things in this game that can counter it(Warp core while capping being the perfect example if you were not able to dodge the laser and have no choice), and this is why I feel that bringing back the old IA sniper rifle exactly as it was would be a great addition to the game now. That doesn't mean we have to remove the insta hit 30% damage rifle either. We can keep both rifles in the game usable by Raider and the Outrider.(please consider this devs)

Back in the day, you were able to play this game as a "lone wolf". You didn't need any help to do anything, as long as you are good. Now though, the game is forcing players to work as a team, most times sending you the message that trying to cap alone isn't nearly as easy anymore. The new rule of gameplay is "play as a pack, or die". This transition is getting on people's nerves, as the game isn't as simple as "get in -> play your position -> get out" anymore.

Anyway, my point to this large post is that Legions is no longer that simple game anymore. You can't do some things alone anymore. So stop pointing fingers at weapons which stop you from soloing everything and get used to calling for help.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Back in the day, you were able to play this game as a "lone wolf". You didn't need any help to do anything, as long as you are good. Now though, the game is forcing players to work as a team, most times sending you the message that trying to cap alone isn't nearly as easy anymore. The new rule of gameplay is "play as a pack, or die". This transition is getting on people's nerves, as the game isn't as simple as "get in -> play your position -> get out" anymore.

So true, +1 just for this paragraph.

Excellent input, especially the choice of both kinds of LR. This would be fair to everyone who likes this weapon, because looking at all of the buzz in the forums lately about the LR, it's obvious that some players like it one way & some the other.